The "delighted Ashley has gone, but uncomfortable with Saudi ownership" thread

UncleBingo

3 hours ago, Kid Icarus said:

Done. What's the title of your dissertation?

Hi, thank you helping me with my research. The title of the dissertation is "Newcastle United’s new beginning: the fans perspective of the takeover of Newcastle United Football Club"

On 09/10/2021 at 10:49, Smal said:

I would respectfully challenge the narrative that fans don't get a say in who their owners are. I think it's a shaky argument at best and at worst I think it's possible you may be lying to yourself about your true feelings. 

Yes it has taken a long time to get rid, but why do you think Mike Ashley has sold the club? Were it not for fan pressure he would have a cushy number owning this football club for a number of years to come. Could we have stopped this takeover if we wanted to? Absolutely. The truth is that most fans aren't bothered and just want the money and to be rid of Mike Ashley. That's fair enough, but fans could have stopped this takeover if they wanted. If anything it's only happening because the fans were so desperate for it.  

Mike Ashley sold the club because the Saudi's offered him above Market Value for it, if he’d been bothered by fan pressure it'd have been sold in 2008. Fans have no say at all. The removal of Hicks and Gillette at Liverpool is often attributed to fan power, but in reality it was Barclays who forced them to sell after they’d defaulted on a payment, nothing at all to do with fan protest.

Not trying to be critical or anything just seemed really broad for it to just be here's what the Newcastle fans think about the takeover. :lol: Usually it's like '"Good game?" understanding the role of modern football fan loyalty in a hypercapitalist bubble'

Edited by Kid Icarus

5 hours ago, Ghandis Flip-Flop said:

Mike Ashley sold the club because the Saudi's offered him above Market Value for it, if he’d been bothered by fan pressure it'd have been sold in 2008. Fans have no say at all. The removal of Hicks and Gillette at Liverpool is often attributed to fan power, but in reality it was Barclays who forced them to sell after they’d defaulted on a payment, nothing at all to do with fan protest.

What fan pressure? We didn't do anything and still attended matches. There was no fan pressure apart from a funeral procession.....

14 hours ago, Kid Icarus said:

Not trying to be critical or anything just seemed really broad for it to just be here's what the Newcastle fans think about the takeover. :lol: Usually it's like '"Good game?" understanding the role of modern football fan loyalty in a hypercapitalist bubble'

Remind us... where do you work again? :lol:

• 1 month later...

I'm  genuinely curious if any current ST holders didn't renew before today, based on the goings on in this thread, and, how they feel about Nufc going forward.

Edited by mighty__mag

Just been watching The Overlap fan debate there. I'm not sure who the lass is who was on for us, but I thought she spoke well in general and went with the whole 'I don't support Saudi Arabia, waving flags etc, it shouldn't be on us to have to answer these questions, but we shouldn't shy away from the conversation.' Totally fair enough, I think that's lip service and we'll be 'having the conversation' in 10 years time if they're still here, with nothing having changed, but I accept that outlook on it. 

Gary Neville though, man. I admire him for the soapbox he gets on about the state of this country, but he's such a political rube like. He's naive in the extreme with his 'bring them to the table' outlook. 

He actually asked her this with a completely straight face.

'How do you as fans work with the owners to ensure that they do change what they're doing over in Saudi Arabia to people? I think that would be really powerful' 

'That's my outlook. Welcome them, guardedly, but then place demands on them to change'

Or else what? :lol: What sort of la la land do you have to be living in to think that the Saudi's could (allegedly) get away with 9/11 and murder a U.S journalist without the U.S doing a thing to them, have the U.K government beg them for oil within the last month, own 80% of a football club as a bit on the side and then for the fans of that club to come along and think they have any leverage to get them to rethink let alone place demands on them over their domestic human rights policies? 

I wouldn't mind, but only a few weeks ago he was saying how his 'bring them to the table' outlook had been wrong when everyone suddenly decided Abramovic was a wrongun 20 years later. Now he's gone back to it. Hopefully he'll wise up to his naivety permanently at some point. 

Edited by Kid Icarus

Not to mention it's a bit condescending to think it's ok to take Saudi money and then demand they change their own culture to our liking. I mean I could understand if we were paying them to do it.

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, TheBrownBottle said:

Golfers are shit at answering the old 'moral quandary' questions shocker

https://www.bbc.com/sport/av/golf/61738171

Not sure why they should be the ones being criticised when a journalist is clearly being difficult. They may not be as articulate as Howe, but presumably both parties have been rightly advised not to answer due to criticism they’ll receive. 

As Westwood said they’re hypothetical questions, so don’t really deserve an answer. We all know it’s about money for what its worth, but even then I’m not sure why they should be held to a higher standard than the many other people in sport benefiting from Saudi investment… or politicians. 

Without sounding like a broken record the UK and its citizens have been taking the coin from Saudi and its neighbours for years whether it be arms deals or pipe fitters working on oil rigs.

People like Barry Glenndinning are taking a moral high groud to try and sound clever an important but let's face it ge probably tweets on an I phone that was made in a bamboo hut by 6 year old kids.

4 minutes ago, St. Maximin said:

Not sure why they should be the ones being criticised when a journalist is clearly being difficult. They may not be as articulate as Howe, but presumably both parties have been rightly advised not to answer due to criticism they’ll receive. 

As Westwood said they’re hypothetical questions, so don’t really deserve an answer. We all know it’s about money for what its worth, but even then I’m not sure why they should be held to a higher standard than the many other people in sport benefiting from Saudi investment… or politicians. 

'Would you have played in Apartheid SA?' is a straightforward tbh.  Sportspeople didn't play there.

8 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

'Would you have played in Apartheid SA?' is a straightforward tbh.  Sportspeople didn't play there.

Then it’s a stupid question and Westwood seems more justified in his comments about hypothetical situations, especially if that one was impossible. Not really sure why a journalist needs to know about their moral positions in general, let alone over hypothetical situations. 

3 minutes ago, St. Maximin said:

Then it’s a stupid question and Westwood seems more justified in his comments about hypothetical situations, especially if that one was impossible. Not really sure why a journalist needs to know about their moral positions in general, let alone over hypothetical situations. 

I’m guessing because sportspeople took a moral stance and refused to play apartheid SA?

The straightforward answer would have been ‘I don’t think KSA is the same as apartheid SA’.