Eddie Howe

InspectorCoarse

1 minute ago, Kasper said:

100% sportwashing - 0% profit

No need to worry they'll pull out if they're not making money out of it.

People say this like it's one or the other.  As that Liverpool fan was saying they're valued at $2bn or whatever now through being well run with some investment, the Saudi's will know that in ploughing money into the club it'll end up being worth a shitload anyway.

4 minutes ago, McCormick said:

I imagine they’re shooting their shot with Ten Hag, and I don’t blame them. Once he firmly rejects us (and I expect he will) we’ll go for one of the other names further down on the list in Fonseca or Favre. 

To think we had 10 attempts at this before we settled on Slug Heed

30 minutes ago, thomas said:

I can't. There's no chance they walked into this expecting returns within even 5 years. This is either a long haul investment or there's no point. Scouting, academy, facilities, first team, it all needs work and they'll all take a good while before rewards are reaped.

Yep, this is an investment in the sense it's part of the dick measuring contest between the gulf nations. Qatar and UAE have prestigious football clubs, so KSA want one. I actually think this is more of a motivater than 'Sportswashing' as if anything it's brought more scrutiny on them than before. 

Remember that Da Vinci the Saudis bought for £400m - they only paid that much as they thought the other bidder was Qatar and didn't want to lose. This is the same, just a proxy in Rich men showing off essentially. 

1 minute ago, GeordieDazzler said:

Yep, this is an investment in the sense it's part of the dick measuring contest between the gulf nations.

Not sure if we provide any length and/or girth at the moment for that particular contest

2 minutes ago, STM said:

Even though I think Rafa is incredibly unlikely. There is a difference between him breaking a contract and him being made available by the club.

Just about to post that, maybe Everton will take the compensation and be happy to replace him if they aren’t happy with early progress

Just now, mouldy_uk said:

Just about to post that, maybe Everton will take the compensation and be happy to replace him if they aren’t happy with early progress

It's not even results on the pitch. It's the unrest from the fans.

If we can offer a big compensation and they decide its a quick "get out", we might able to get him.

Rafa won't betray them unless they give him the green light first though.

Such a frustrating situation. They don't want him, we do want him but their board are in the way.

2 minutes ago, mouldy_uk said:

we missed a trick, should have offered swapsies for Steve Bacon, they need a motivator after coldness of Rafa

They're in 8th after 9 games.

Rafa has his work cut out getting them to play like he wants and there have been some surprise/disappointing results but this is an acceptable position in a transition period.

I don't think anyone with real decision making powers is anywhere close to thinking about pulling the plug this early on.

Get Rafa back home. He's most suited to drag the team out of the relegation battle this season and he can lay the foundations on and off the pitch for future success. Worst case scenario a few years down the line if the investment & quality in the team dictates we should do better than what he is achieving it will most likely be a case of seeing out his contract with no hard feelings on either side.

Part of me would prefer an interim, so that we can wait for the right man. I can guarantee that as soon as we hire a manager that Rafa, Pochettino etc become available. Timing is everything.

5 minutes ago, STM said:

Part of me would prefer an interim, so that we can wait for the right man. I can guarantee that as soon as we hire a manager that Rafa, Pochettino etc become available. Timing is everything.

If we were middle table and safe I would agree. 

we need leadership and investment though and it has to come before January. 

1 minute ago, r0cafella said:

If we were middle table and safe I would agree. 

we need leadership and investment though and it has to come before January. 

I meant an outside manager. Willing to do 6 months. Unlikely though.

Love Rafa. Galvanised the club and fans, represented hope at a time we thought we could have none, fought for the betterment of NUFC against Ashley. Would love if he came back, would certainly keep us up and take us towards where we want to be. However, I don't think he'll leave Everton and I don't think those running Everton would let him go yet either despite some fan unrest. They're still on 14(?) points from 9 games, 8th in the league, 6pts off Man City whilst having players like Calvert-Lewin and Doucoure out with injuries. So there's that.

Plus, I've always been of the opinion even back in April-June 2020 that you shouldn't go back. I want a complete fresh start and that includes Benitez plus the unknown excites me, Fonseca excites, the dream back in 2020 of Allegri excited me. I want excitement and change and unfortunately I'm unsure I'd fully get that if Benitez came back as sound as an appointment that it is.

Edited by HaydnNUFC