Eddie Howe

InspectorCoarse

On 30/03/2023 at 02:50, TheDarkKnight said:

Not a Newcastle fan but I have so much respect for Eddie Howe based on his treatment of Ryan Fraser.

We all know that Fraser threw Howe under the bus at the end of Fraser's career at Bournemouth.

This is pretty much Howe getting his revenge. He couldn't have did it straight away, as he needed to prove himself to the Newcastle players first.

"Revenge is a dish best served cold".

It's exactly how Sir Alex Ferguson would've handled things.

A manager has to be able to trust a player. Fraser isn't the type of character you want to be in the Trenches with.

And as a Scotland fan, I doubt trust him. He pulled out of a squad, citing injury, then was spotted training a day later.

To be honest, I never want him to win another cap.

So yes, you have a really top class manager.

We're all Eddie hero-worshippers on here, so I may be blind, but I don't think revenge would come into it. He seems to be very self aware and very focused on the task in hand. He would see thoughts of revenge as being an unhelpful distraction.

I've sometimes wondered how he handles any bad boys within his squad. Apparently he's careful to recruit only those he regards as good characters, and I can't imagine him doing a Fergie-style hair-dryer rant. Maybe he relies on building a good group-ethic to keep everyone in line, and he naturally engenders respect.

But I remember seeing an interview, in which Nathan Ake talks about getting a bollocking from Eddie Howe. It clearly had a real impact. I think he gets to know his players as individuals, and knows when and how to push the right buttons. In this case, he delivered some uncomfortable but helpful home truths. From 3-20 onwards - 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5qK77RvM9SM

He’s done a great job overall but picking the squad up after a bit of a blip has been very impressive. Season could have easily fizzled out but we’re right in it again now, we look like the 3rd best team in the league right now.

1 hour ago, ilikenewcastle said:

Is it going over the top to say nobody in the world could realistically have come in when he did and done a better job?

No. I think Emery would have done a cracking job here but Howe literally has us fighting for top 4 despite our main striker being out for close to 4 months, and ASM being iffy all season.

The present situ reminds me of Dinnis after Lee left , team played well towards end of season and our bacon was saved, but all went pearshaped the following season, hope it don't happen here, though in reality it won't

4 hours ago, Dr Jinx said:

He’s done a great job overall but picking the squad up after a bit of a blip has been very impressive. Season could have easily fizzled out but we’re right in it again now, we look like the 3rd best team in the league right now.

This a hundred times over. We had a huge blip and the worst time and it could have quite easily ended our season, but he's having none of that shit. No feeling sorry, no holiday mode or taking the foot off. It's back to putting a shift in and beating whoever is in front of us.

Today was great. 1st time I've felt he had real options from the bench and he was able to use them properly. 

4 hours ago, ilikenewcastle said:

Is it going over the top to say nobody in the world could realistically have come in when he did and done a better job?

No, and I'd include all the past greats like Ferguson and Clough in that.

When he took over, it looked like we were going to go down with about 20 points. Taking us to 3rd place in just over a year is incredible.

heard the line-up on the way up to the ground.

loads of us thinking he was being unneccessarily loyal to a winning team and questioning leaving BigJow on the bench.

should have known not to question Eddie.

blokes a genious.

21 minutes ago, Colos Short and Curlies said:

Turn the question on its head - would Eddie have been able to do what he has here anywhere else?

there’s definitely a bit of right man right place right time going on here 

Well the guy has pedigree, doesn't he. He took Bournemouth from 24th place in League Two to the Premiership in just over 5 years. It's hard to say which is the more incredible feat.

Yes, I think he chose us as much as we chose him. He saw a club with big potential, but also one that he could mould according to his own vision and style, which is not perhaps as easy with the mega clubs like Man U or Chelsea.

Tbh, I think other managers are getting a bit rattled, with the exception of Pep. They can't quite figure out what's going on.