Eddie Howe

InspectorCoarse

5 hours ago, Conjo said:

Sentimental/nostalgic memories. I think what Howe has achieved is probably harder to achieve today than what Keegan did in his time in terms of what is required 0f training and tactics. That being said, not sure Howe would be able to achieve what Keegan did in his time either. Both legends. Don't like the thought of having to rate one over the other.

Both great Kings, just reigning at different times. The right Kings for the right times! 

13 hours ago, Vinny Green Balls said:

Do we have the new Clough and Taylor in our hands?

Yes.

Different personalities, different methods, but the same astonishing capacity to get twice as much from players than you could expect.

Absolutely incredible that in the past 12 months, we have scored 4+ 12 times. Just steamrolling teams at times

8-0 Sheff U
6-1 Spurs
5-1 West Ham, Villa, Brentford
4-0 Palace, Villa
4-1 PSG, Everton, Brighton, Fulham, Southampton

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/premier-league/jahrestabelle/wettbewerb/GB1/saison_id/2022

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/premier-league/jahrestabelle/wettbewerb/GB1/saison_id/2023

36 21 9 6 57 31 +26 72

30 15 8 7 60 31 +29 53

So since the start of 22, spanning 3 different seasons, we have P66 W36 D17 L13 F117 A62 GD+55 PTS 125, plus a cup final, and started well in the CL.

Incredible.

On 21/10/2023 at 18:27, MrRaspberryJam said:

I remember Benitez’s time here with basically the same fondness. But just hard to imagine us looking back on Benitez’s time here for many years to come because ultimately he didn’t achieve anything special. (Please note: that is NOT a dig at Benitez, he did well for us under his circumstances. But managers get remembered for the right reasons for doing something special imo)

The anything special he achieved for us was keeping us alive as a Premier League force and sticking with us in the Championship. 

Loads of people were shocked he stayed and assumed he'd have left. 

He got us promoted and after a wobbly start had us cemented as a solid mid table PL side that wasn't worried about relegation anymore. Even when Bruce came in there was enough residual influence to keep us safe for another year before it unravelled. 

So whilst it's arguably not glamorous work there's a good chance we aren't where we are today without Benitez. Imagine we got Bruce when we were relegated for instance. 

Rafa saw the potential here and whilst he ultimately wasn't able to fully unlock it he was a pivotal first step towards doing so. For that he'll always be remembered by me. 

8 minutes ago, Cf said:

The anything special he achieved for us was keeping us alive as a Premier League force and sticking with us in the Championship. 

He got us promoted and after a wobbly start had us cemented as a solid mid table PL side that wasn't worried about relegation anymore. Even when Bruce came in there was enough residual influence to keep us safe for another year before it unravelled. 

So whilst it's arguably not glamorous work there's a good chance we aren't where we are today without Benitez. Imagine we got Bruce when we were relegated for instance. 

Rafa saw the potential here and whilst he ultimately wasn't able to fully unlock it he was a pivotal first step towards doing so. For that he'll always be remembered by me. 

Love Rafa, he got it.  The cloob, the city the fans. He saw the potential that the big 6 always feared. Now they are having reason to do so as we realise our destiny to dominate and entertain! :indi: 

3 hours ago, Cf said:

Aye, I agree. He got the club, he got the city, he got the fans, he was the first manager since Keegan in 08 to challenge Ashley. I get all that, I aint knocking any of that. But at the same time, I just won't remember his tenure here for "years to come" as it was originally put.