Eddie Howe

InspectorCoarse

11 hours ago, STM said:

I'm not a body language expert but I do have a passing interest in the subject, Eddie has a little "tell" during press conferences....

He uses what's called an "adaptor" during certain questions. An adaptor is kind of a comforting technique, which we all do when we are under a bit of stress or anxiety.

Eddie uses his index finger to scratch is face as an adaptor. Have a look when he's asked about Matt Targetts chance of first team football.

Now I'm not saying he being deceptive but I'd suggest he's probably aware of the delicate issue regarding one of his players not playing as much as he'd like. 

Keep an eye out for it. Its not an exact science because people will have all kinds of thoughts going on in their head but I'd say that it's fairly certain in this case. 

I find this stuff kind of neat. [emoji38]

Good spot, I think it bears out too. Remember Targett joined us because he wanted first team football after Villa bought Digne. 

On 21/10/2023 at 19:50, STM said:

I think Howe is a much more rounded manager than Keegan but in fairness to Keegan he lived in a different era.

Keegan was old school, put together an 11 like Fergie, gave them motivation and let them crack on.

I suspect Howe would make Keegan look rather silly when it came to a conversation on tactics, psychology, diet, patterns of play etc, but then he would make quite a lot of current managers look silly in that regard.

Imagining them as WWI colonels, Keegan would get you up and out of the trenches, feeling invincible and charging machine posts. Leading to many against the odds triumphs, but much loss of life. I suspect Howe would win more battles. 

No idea why he watched 20 mins of Wolves pressure and our lads out on their feet, only to make a sub once we inevitably concede.

The decision to blow the transfer budget on two full backs who he won't trust to see any real action is looking stupider every week, too. Not saying that was entirely on Howe but he will have had a say in it. 

Really poor from him today. Watched us for a half hour getting battered and changed nothing.

1 sub. Didn't sub the two knackered fullbacks with 6 others on the bench.

What's the point in Hall/ Livramento, all that money spent and they aren't trusted.

Edited by Aiston

1 minute ago, Aiston said:

Really poor from him today. Watched us for a half hour getting battered and changed nothing.

What's the point in Hall/ Livramento, all that money spent and they aren't trusted.

Give owa man ya plum 

Just now, Zero said:

If you spend 70m on two players that can’t get any mins when the whole team is knackered, either the manager, or the one who made the transfer, has to be seriously questioned.

It is pretty bizarre mind. Clearly neither of them are trusted to get minutes which makes it all the more baffling. Dan Burn still playing every minute of every game.

1 minute ago, Aiston said:

I can't understand why Burn is undroppable to be honest.

I love Eddie but sometimes his reluctance to change anything until at least 70 mins does grate on me.

11 hours ago, Coffee_Johnny said:

Imagining them as WWI colonels, Keegan would get you up and out of the trenches, feeling invincible and charging machine posts. Leading to many against the odds triumphs, but much loss of life. I suspect Howe would win more battles. 

Steve Bruce would be telling how big the German lads are, how accurate their guns are and how pointy their bayonets are - before telling you to stand behind your own barbed wire to get shot at

Just now, Vinny Green Balls said:

similar on points which isn't a bad thing, right?

Absolutely isn’t, I think the issue we have is the bar seems to be higher this season and if we don’t improve the requisite amount we are going backwards. 

(this isn’t criticism of Howe or the team before in jumped on). 

1 minute ago, r0cafella said:

Here’s a question, and to be honest I don’t know the actual answer but here goes. 

have we improved since the last season?

We are playing more games due to CL which will have an effect. Especially with the injuries and Tonali gone.

Just now, Ronaldo said:

It is pretty bizarre mind. Clearly neither of them are trusted to get minutes which makes it all the more baffling. Dan Burn still playing every minute of every game.

Imagine you are Tino or Hall. Probably you are regretting the transfer already. 

Hall even getting fewer minutes than in Chelsea. 

Utterly bizarre. 

Just now, RUHRLYASLEEVESUP said:

Were playing more games & have an abysmal injury recored to contend with, will have a bearing obviously 

Oh yeah, without a doubt. FFP means we have an extremely small landing zone and mistakes are absolutely destructive for us. 

Just now, r0cafella said:

Absolutely isn’t, I think the issue we have is the bar seems to be higher this season and if we don’t improve the requisite amount we are going backwards. 

(this isn’t criticism of Howe or the team before in jumped on). 

If we get 70 points, we've had another fine season, regardless of where we finish. Well played to those who finish higher then.

30 minutes ago, Pilko said:

No idea why he watched 20 mins of Wolves pressure and our lads out on their feet, only to make a sub once we inevitably concede.

The decision to blow the transfer budget on two full backs who he won't trust to see any real action is looking stupider every week, too. Not saying that was entirely on Howe but he will have had a say in it. 

Really hard to disagree. The summer looks worse and worse by the week; we're playing the exact same XI as last season in spite of the extra games and they're blowing out their arse in late October. Obviously much of that is unforeseen with Barnes' injury and Tonali's ban but the outlay on Livramento and Hall contrasted with their game time even in game situations like tonight look more puzzling as the season goes on.

Edited by HaydnNUFC

26 minutes ago, Pilko said:

This. It’s more and more evident that he doesn’t trust them. He doesn’t even really trust Targett either. Unless we are comfortably winning, chasing a game or losing badly - he’ll not take Burn off. 

Similar thing with the team shape.