Eddie Howe

InspectorCoarse

He’s part of a very small group of managers in my lifetime that I listen to every word, every press conference. 

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, The College Dropout said:

Maybe it's because I listen to a lot of Eddie, a lot more than Neville but I didn't learn much new.

There isn't a mass media figure that would give Eddie the type if interview I would like. Maybe the guy on Sky as he has his nose attuned to what's going on.

Like I found the ASM bit a bit grating. Eddie's answered that question before - his public line is that he loved ASM and he was only sold for FFP reasons. Neville is behind on all of this. Likewise in thinking we would come in and splurge on stupid signings - from the first window it was obvious that was not the plan.

Good enough interview though. But my biggest gripe with Neville is that he's away from the game at large. A lot of his talk is just based on cliches and narratives he's made-up in his head (some of which might be true) but it's not supported by hard evidence or the actual footballing landscape. For all that he's grating, Jamie Carragher actually does much better homework.

He must’ve been doing a lot of homework when he disappeared from commentary for 30mins as he realised klippity and his holier than thou team were fucked over by the worst Manure team for decades a few weeks ago. 

Edited by Thomson Mouse

6 hours ago, STM said:

Eddie, of course, spoke superbly.

There's not really anything new though.

It's quite interesting watching the dynamics between two people. Eddie comes across quite intimidating IMO, not in a physical way but on a intellectual level. The perception of him is the soft spoken, mild mannered, middle class coach but I think that's entirely wrong. For me he has don't fuck with me school teacher vibes.

There's definitely an edge to him.

Just now, Pixelphish said:

There's definitely an edge to him.

I think he just wants the people around him to be as committed to things as he is.

If you’re not, then he’ll not rant and rave, he’ll just cut you loose. See Ryan Fraser. And probably Dan Ashworth.

16 minutes ago, Astroblack said:

Frustrating interview. Felt like a pick your brain session rather than a profile interview. Neville completely unprepared. 

Th Gordon one was the same, spoke about the same 3 things for the entire time with Neville jizzing over the fact Gordon wasn't as thick as he thought he would be.

Felt like Neville would start a question and his brain was about 5 seconds behind his mouth, so he'd introduce a thought and then have to delay while his brain came up with a question. "You know, FFP, Eddie, it's like, I mean, in terms of, you know, money and things like that, like how'dya decide how to sign in terms of, you know, like a player who cost a lot, but you don't really have a lot in terms of money to actually spend, do ya? How's that like?"

"Help us get out of League Two, Eddie, what's the secret?" 

"What do you think about the England job, want it?"

"Back when I was managing Valencia..."

Fuck off Gary, this is Eddie's Mags, it's not about you. 

1 hour ago, Ste said:

He’s part of a very small group of managers in my lifetime that I listen to every word, every press conference. 

I remember that clip of a pub that fell silent when we got Benitez in and he was speaking on the TV. 

Eddie “fuck the kids I’m watching the champions league & I need to take notes for an idea I’ve got of how we can smash Brighton at the weekend”

our gaffa! 🖤🤍

:howe:

Really enjoyed it. Happy the club is in the hands of someone so obsessive tbh. As opposed to the porcine loafer that was Wor Steve. 

Blows my mind that anyone wouldn't want this guy as our gaffer.

It terrifies me that we would bring someone else in who wasn't as footy obsessed, or didn't understand the connection with the fans. 

He's got a few minor flaws in his management, sure, but they are so small compared to the massive positives he brings... and we all know he's constantly self assessing.

As a football fan and even a Newcastle fan, I've never enjoyed it so much, I've never felt like I actually like the players, the staff, the people running the club. Even under SBR there was always an element of a "ceiling", under Eddie nothing would shock me regarding our success. 

I'd put some decent money on us winning a trophy in the next few years.

Just listening to Eddie talk about how much input he has and requires on recruitment. I wonder if that put Dan’s nose out? 

Looking forward to whoever we get in taking us onwards and upwards. 

1 hour ago, Astroblack said:

Frustrating interview. Felt like a pick your brain session rather than a profile interview. Neville completely unprepared. 

Agreed. Eddie was prepared for more robust questions I think. Held himself well, as usual.

Just now, Miggys First Goal said:

If we win the Europa or Conference League under Eddie, does he get a statue?

definitley an erection from me.

Posted (edited)

Should be noted too that he says “I’ve never thought of international for me” just to put to bed those stupid rumors. 

Edited by cubaricho

Thoroughly enjoyed that. Had a lovely minted lamb chop with carrot and parsnip mash with Mrs G. If it wasn't a school night I think I be in after that. 

Not sure who fancies Eddie more, me or her. He's up there with Brandon Flowers on blokes that could turn me*

Cool as fuck. 

* Couldn't really turn me cos I'm 110% hetro bastard bloke but still 😜

If I was gay and had my pick I'd have Beckham. Not for looks just his OCD. The kitchen etc would be immaculate 

Anyways reminds me, and I think I've said it before, of a Times talk in at the Tyneside Cinema with Rafa. Could listen to these blokes talk football all night. 

Neville's a decent chap as well, imho, seems very down to earth. 

Still blows my mind that there are people who can't see that this is a guy always looking to improve. So frustrating during our poorer runs to read nonsense about how he doesn't seem to be learning. Even if you ignore the evidence on the pitch of ways we've tried to tweak our style, just listen to the man speak for more than 60 seconds. We're incredibly lucky to have him.

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, LiquidAK said:

Still blows my mind that there are people who can't see that this is a guy always looking to improve. So frustrating during our poorer runs to read nonsense about how he doesn't seem to be learning. Even if you ignore the evidence on the pitch of ways we've tried to tweak our style, just listen to the man speak for more than 60 seconds. We're incredibly lucky to have him.

I think what bugs me the most about the negative posts about him in here, and there are many (though usually by the same 5 or 6 posters), it isn't that there's negativity, it's the lack of balance. I am one of Eddie's biggest supporters but even I don't think he does everything perfectly. Yet, you only see those posters that can't wait to stick the boot in, when things have gone wrong. They disappear whenever there's something positive going on, a good win, whatever. If you're going to criticize, fine, but at least stick around and acknowledge the good things too.

Edited by LionOfGosforth