Eddie Howe

InspectorCoarse

1 hour ago, ATB said:

I been banging for this for years. But I have given up the thought of that happening. Its either the players or Howe, or both.

But for us to take the next step I think we have to be able to controll games.

I think a fully fit Tonali can help with this.

Agree that we problably slow because our best have had little pre season. But I think its clear were not gonna change our style.

No europa is a bless in that. Though Howe need to be able to manage that if he want to be successfully here. And that need to inclued us beeing in controll more, i think.

Eddie was out-thought  and out-manoeuvered again on Saturday right from kick off Southampton looked organised and were easing past us way before the sending off.

Same happened against Brighton last season.....not everything Eddie does is worthy of the praise he gets on here. Sometimes he is gubbed by a more astute manager.

What we do have is grit and determination.

What we don't have is the riches we thought we had.

Same positions lacking as end of June...what a wasted window.

2 minutes ago, Terrymac1966 said:

Eddie was out-thought  and out-manoeuvered again on Saturday right from kick off Southampton looked organised and were easing past us way before the sending off.

Same happened against Brighton last season.....not everything Eddie does is worthy of the praise he gets on here. Sometimes he is gubbed by a more astute manager.

:ructions:

Let’s bear in mind that we played for over an hour with Krafth and Burn at centre back and two relative novices at full back, but the opposition still couldn’t score against 10 men.

Ever since Eddie arrived, I’ve been mystified as to why we don’t concede more goals. It’s got to be something he’s doing.

In general, our squad isn’t nearly as good as our results have suggested. We are still some way from being able to dominate games in the way that the best teams can do. But we are good at maximising what we have.

Four of the starting eleven were here when we were in the drop zone and looking set to go down with about 20 points.

Edited by Cronky

The timing of the goal set the pattern for the rest of the game. For the last 15 mins of the first half we looked a bit short obviously but still went after them, forced the mistake and scored the winner. We then went straight into the HT break, readjusted and tightened the formation, sat back in our shape and forced them to try and break us down. It wasn't pretty but it was organised and fairly rigid, we defended as a unit and scoring another wasn't the priority as we already had the lead, not conceding was all we had to do. 

Goals change games and Joelinton's definitely did. I'm also not ignoring how messy the first half hour was either, we didn't look great 11 v 11 it's got to be said

2 hours ago, Terrymac1966 said:

Some on here are becoming more and more cartoonish. It’s like 4chan for football.

9 hours ago, Optimistic Nut said:

People were moaning last season that his tactics were causing injuries. We press less, people are moaning we didn't press with the same intensity. Some people just like to moan. 

Yep. I still remember the days when you paid no interest to a teams form until after 6 games and the league table after 10. It’s one game. Chill.

We’ve definitely been trying something different this pre season. Speaking of which i think last pre season helped us be ready for the start of the season due to the level of opposition. This summer has been a bit up and down in quality etc and players coming back at different times at different levels so all to be taken into consideration.

2 hours ago, Terrymac1966 said:

Dreadful post. 

Yeah we didn't absolutely batter So'ton in the 27 minutes before Schar's red card, and anything after that was a means to an end. 

Anyone using Saturday as if there's a credible basis for criticism clearly just wants to do that anyway. We got the result and I'm sure we'd have played some better stuff if not for the red. 

Just don’t understand why people like to make these grand claims based on fuck all evidence. Stuff like “we’ve been found out” when we have an average game. You don’t need to try and impress people with your takes, just watch the football and if you don’t have an opinion based on some decent evidence then don’t make stupid claims 

Ipswich were the better side against Liverpool first half. Then they came unstuck and could have lost by a lot more second half. 

Arsenal were making uncharacteristic mistakes against Wolves and were lucky not to concede. 

City even looked disjointed at times against a wide open, lazy Chelsea side. 

Using one game, the opening game of the season, even. To try and over-analyse the team, manager and everything else seems a bit ridiculous. 

5 hours ago, ExiledGeordie said:

I think a fully fit Tonali can help with this.

I didn't think Tonali was that type of player to be honest. Not that I have seen him much. His pass % has never really been that high, he seems to like going for risky passes, and his strength was supposed to be longer passes. Maybe I'm wrong though.

2 minutes ago, Erikse said:

I didn't think Tonali was that type of player to be honest. Not that I have seen him much. His pass % has never really been that high, he seems to like going for risky passes, and his strength was supposed to be longer passes. Maybe I'm wrong though.

He is comfortable on the ball and can take it and keep it under pressure. He will definitely help give us more control. 

4 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

He is comfortable on the ball and can take it and keep it under pressure. He will definitely help give us more control. 

Not going to judge a player on specific games, but I still remember that 4-1 PSG game where he had a 55% pass rate. We were up by 2-0 (and 2-1 later), and he gave the ball away on atleast 5 occasions with completely unrealistic throughballs. That was a situation where we could do with a little more composure.

Edited by Erikse

3 hours ago, Terrymac1966 said:

Just to be clear, we did win the match 1-0 with a player less, so the consequences of such a comprehensive tactical outthinking were limited in practice. 

3 hours ago, Terrymac1966 said:

You do know we won 1-0?

2 hours ago, mattypnufc said:

Genuinely reckon the tactics were on purpose by the way. 

Out thought? :D By Russel fucking Martin? Give me a break. 

Let them make a mistake.  Press when an opportunity arises.  Etc etc. 

This.

Pretty much any team can keep the ball well via a slow build-up. Means f*** all unless they have the quality to deliver a meaningful final ball. Only time they opened us up was when we gave the ball away.

I reckon Howe probably knew how Southampton would play and decided it was OK to contain them and allow them to aimlessly pass.

Just love Eddie Howe man, we won't ever get many managers better than this. It's happened maybe once in my lifetime :lol:

Edited by AyeDubbleYoo

I mean, just conceding possession at home is dumb and not sustainable long term.

Not going to read too much into first game or games. It’s 5+ in where we should be settled down fitness and cohesion wise, and if we’re turning in home performances like Luton / Forest / Southampton of past 8 months, then there’s concerns. 

4 minutes ago, Sibierski said:

I mean, just conceding possession at home is dumb and not sustainable long term.

Not going to read too much into first game or games. It’s 5+ in where we should be settled down fitness and cohesion wise, and if we’re turning in home performances like Luton / Forest / Southampton of past 8 months, then there’s concerns. 

Sure soton gave us a little punch in the mouth the first 15 minutes, but once Schar went off, we literally were offering them effectively full possession. We had tremendous possession down a man and pushed for the goal we needed, which we got, and, very predictably, basically sat in the box the rest of the game.

If we don't go down a man, we probably get 3 or 4 after Soton's little initial burst of energy wore out.

40 minutes ago, Erikse said:

Not going to judge a player on specific games, but I still remember that 4-1 PSG game where he had a 55% pass rate. We were up by 2-0 (and 2-1 later), and he gave the ball away on atleast 5 occasions with completely unrealistic throughballs. That was a situation where we could do with a little more composure.

At no point was the match 2-1. 

2 hours ago, mattypnufc said:

Genuinely reckon the tactics were on purpose by the way. 

Out thought? :D By Russel fucking Martin? Give me a break. 

Let them make a mistake.  Press when an opportunity arises.  Etc etc. 

We are at home we should be killing teams from the get-go. Southampton were the more offensive side prior to the sending off. All they lacked to get the job done was quality...other teams will come and will have it. 

Just now, Terrymac1966 said:

We are at home we should be killing teams from the get-go. Southampton were the more offensive side prior to the sending off. All they lacked to get the job done was quality...other teams will come and will have it. 

Put down the spade pal