Eddie Howe

InspectorCoarse

1 hour ago, The College Dropout said:

I’m a broken record but there’s lots of things PIF could do to show how invested they are outside of spending on transfers. 

stadium

training facilities 

academy 

multi club 

investment in the NE

Man City judgement a week away. Let’s see what happens with that and what if any effect it has.

6 minutes ago, NUFC91 said:

To me the blame is on the board, since Howes appointment only City Arsenal and Liverpool have picked up more points than  us. Howe clearly wanted a keeper RW and CB and we didn't get any. You can't stand still in football but we have from last season.

I thought the narrative was that unless we got the CB we wanted, we weren't prepared to buy 3rd or 4th choice. I think that came from Howe as he is very wary of bringing in players unless they fit his criteria. Unless there's something out there that makes you think it was the board who were refusing to look at alternatives.

Going back to the Howe vs Emery thing. 

Howe was second choice in part because we don’t know how he scales with European football and a model more driven by leadership than the coach. Early signs suggest he’s struggling with both.  

Ancelotti gets the big jobs because you can give him a squad of elite old men and he’ll try and make it work. No complaining or bad vibes. 

More of these types will make it to the top jobs. Good company men. One reason I think De Zerbi hasn’t landed a top job is that he was complaining a fair bit about Brightons transfers.  Liverpool barely signed anyone - not heard Arne Slot make more of it.  I think that’s partly why he was hired. 

7 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

Going back to the Howe vs Emery thing. 

Howe was second choice in part because we don’t know how he scales with European football and a model more driven by leadership than the coach. Early signs suggest he’s struggling with both.  

Ancelotti gets the big jobs because you can give him a squad of elite old men and he’ll try and make it work. No complaining or bad vibes. 

More of these types will make it to the top jobs. Good company men. One reason I think De Zerbi hasn’t landed a top job is that he was complaining a fair bit about Brightons transfers.  Liverpool barely signed anyone - not heard Arne Slot make more of it.  I think that’s partly why he was hired. 

Maresca at Chelsea too after Poch kicked off about transfers.

We're going to end up in the mud the way things are going.

Edited by KaKa

9 minutes ago, KaKa said:

Maresca at Chelsea too after Poch kicked off about transfers.

We're going to end up in the mud the way things are going.

It’s fucked because we’ve built a Howe squad. Last summer we doubled down on Howe ball when it was time to not. 

We’ll need another manager who is fond of physicality and can be flexible. 

7 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

It’s fucked because we’ve built a Howe squad. Last summer we doubled down on Howe ball when it was time to not. 

We’ll need another manager who is fond of physicality and can be flexible. 

Mitchell spent years with Ragnick in the Red Bull structure.

Mitchel's description of his vision of football fits that ethos of high pressing, aggressive and direct football.

It is perfectly aligned with Howe ball and the players we have, and still there are problems for some reason.

If we do end up with another manager it will be one that plays that style and so it should work with our players still.

2 hours ago, TRon said:

I thought the narrative was that unless we got the CB we wanted, we weren't prepared to buy 3rd or 4th choice. I think that came from Howe as he is very wary of bringing in players unless they fit his criteria. Unless there's something out there that makes you think it was the board who were refusing to look at alternatives.

Exactly so if he was fixated on Guehi there was nothing left to spend on a right winger. This is why i think Mitchell has a point about the transfer strategy not being fit for purpose.

Mitchell should have kept his trap shut about deals that have gone by and simply said due to PSR we’ll be revising our strategy going forward and widening the net.

The narrative that Howe wasn’t backed doesn’t sit right with me unless people were happy for us to have our pants pulled down over Guehi.

The most concerning thing is that Mitchell was happy to sanction that huge bid for Elanga if true, he’s no better than what we’ve got and just more of the same.

My thoughts currently are that we kept our powder dry and im hoping we are a lot smarter going into January and next summer.

Not sure I would have been happy with Howe and Amanda conducting transfers this summer if the list of targets in the press was accurate, a full reset and approach needed to take into account PSR.

Edited by Whitley mag

We’re seeing the beginning of the end of Howe imo.

When it all unfolds, who knows, but I think it’s safe to say that it’s a matter of time before he’s replaced with someone who will work under the Mitchell structure.

I’d be reducing my engagement with the club if Howe were to get pushed out in favour of Mitchell. My interest has been transformed since Howe came in and while Amanda and Mehrdad were here. If we lose Howe I’ll still have a strong connection to a lot of the players but I’ll have a real issue feeling positive about the ownership and senior management and their choices about future managers 

As much I hate to say it I agree. 

Theres clearly issues there between Howe and Mitchell - and Howe doesn’t seem to be in a position of strength atm. 

Why the fuck can’t we just be a normal club man without the fuckery and nonsense🙈

1 minute ago, BennyBlanco said:

Theres clearly issues there between Howe and Mitchell - and Howe doesn’t seem to be in a position of strength atm. 

Why the fuck can’t we just be a normal club man without the fuckery and nonsense🙈

Possibly because most of it is usually in our own minds. 

Just now, BennyBlanco said:

I think the major theme for me is we were an absolute force 2 seasons ago, and we had shown signs of it before the injury crisis and yet still worked our bollocks out to be 7th and should be in Europe. Yet, this summer was pure shit storm and now we have all this unnecessary drama where we had to scramble for PSR, Gordon + Bruno out all summer on international tourneys, Trips having personal issues, squad all out of wack, Mehrdad and Amanda leaving/needing money, Mitchell in, Howe and him butting heads potentially. 

All this fucking drama is so annoying. 

6 minutes ago, gbandit said:

I’d be reducing my engagement with the club if Howe were to get pushed out in favour of Mitchell. My interest has been transformed since Howe came in and while Amanda and Mehrdad were here. If we lose Howe I’ll still have a strong connection to a lot of the players but I’ll have a real issue feeling positive about the ownership and senior management and their choices about future managers 

For me it depends on results and performances over the next few months. If we continue our recent performances then results will suffer and a change may feel less disappointing.

2 minutes ago, Coffee_Johnny said:

Possibly because most of it is usually in our own minds. 

Aye, many appear to not want that and need their drama fix no matter what. I see no point in all this speculation when we simply don't know enough. There's one journalist pushing the 'civil war' angle and so many NUFC fans seem to lap it up.

Howe and Stavely clicked so well because they were happy for Howe to have a lot of control which suits him as he is a ‘club’ manager, it’s what he did at Bournemouth also. 

Mitchell coming in and the management revamp that saw Stavely and Mehrdad leave has curtailed Howes influence, and in the long term it will end up making the most sense as no top clubs are run by one man anymore. I’m not sure Howe will be able to get onboard and work with the likes of Mitchell and if he can’t then it’s best for everyone if he moves on, as if the club wants to really compete with the best then it can’t be moulded in the vision of the coach. 

And anyway, a lot of this hierarchy stuff will be media noise.. but it’s clear from things Howe has said that he’s not totally happy and he’s lost a degree of control. Not the end of the world, the real issue is what’s going on on the pitch. 

I'll support the club above any single figurehead - I don't like any one person gaining too much power, and, personally, really detest the public politicking that we know Howe likes to do, and that Mitchell seems to be engaging in now as well. Just a bad look optics wise for the club all around. Can't possibly be helping with player attitude on the pitch, either.

14 minutes ago, gbandit said:

Think you'd be setting yourself up there. How often is it the sporting director getting put below managers/ coaches?

Managers/ coaches will almost always get the flak and blame first by the higher ups as well as getting more chances with their fuck ups than managers will get.

11 minutes ago, RodneyCisse said:

1st loss of the season…

Yes it is, but the context goes deeper than that. We probably could not complain if we lost all 5 matches given the showings in each. Performances are lacklustre at absolute best and just aren't remotely sustainable. And we won't get away with it with our upcoming fixtures and the issue for me is I can't see a way out outside of blindly hoping that 'we might not be shit this time' when the next match comes around.

Always feel like it just sort of clicks for us and we go on and play proper football. We absolutely need to get Wilson and Botman back, imho. Wilson’s bantering, bravado either on pitch pushing Isak or pushing the rest of the lads and a key piece to how we play in big fucking Sven. I know those two are not coming back any time soon but we basically need Big Dan Burn to be 100% and playing above himself. 

51 minutes ago, BennyBlanco said:

Is it though? 

The clubs recent activity and Howes demeanour and soundbites says it really isn’t.

This is a good book:

How We Know What Isn't So

Summary

Thomas Gilovich offers a wise and readable guide to the fallacy of the obvious in everyday life. When can we trust what we believe—that "teams and players have winning streaks," that "flattery works," or that "the more people who agree, the more likely they are to be right"—and when are such beliefs suspect? Thomas Gilovich offers a guide to the fallacy of the obvious in everyday life. Illustrating his points with examples, and supporting them with the latest research findings, he documents the cognitive, social, and motivational processes that distort our thoughts, beliefs, judgments and decisions. In a rapidly changing world, the biases and stereotypes that help us process an overload of complex information inevitably distort what we would like to believe is reality. Awareness of our propensity to make these systematic errors, Gilovich argues, is the first step to more effective analysis and action.”

1 hour ago, gbandit said:

I can see both sides.

Howe has been absolutely superb, but the owners ambition is to go to the very top and the days of top clubs operating with a manager who has full control are gone. The best operate within a sporting director structure, the key is to find two who will work together well.

I can't see Howe ever doing that which will only end one way.

If you read the book 'How to win the premier league' it sounds similar to Rodgers at Liverpool. Eventually he had to go and was replaced by someone who would work with a sporting director.