Eddie Howe

InspectorCoarse

5 minutes ago, GWN said:

This could all go horribly wrong .

Think it already has, the takeover came out of nowhere so they weren’t prepared, all the planning from last year was out the window because those people earmarked are now in other jobs, the failure to sack Bruce right away will come back to haunt them as the new manager position becomes less and less desirable as we get cut further and further adrift 

14 minutes ago, nufcnick said:

Think it already has, the takeover came out of nowhere so they weren’t prepared, all the planning from last year was out the window because those people earmarked are now in other jobs, the failure to sack Bruce right away will come back to haunt them as the new manager position becomes less and less desirable as we get cut further and further adrift 

Think it’s a bit soon to say it’s already gone wrong, we haven’t got a manager yet so that will be the first real decision to judge them on. Hopefully this will be followed by a chief executive on the PIF side so it can speed up footballing decisions ahead of the January window because we have to be ready with players ready to sign as soon as it opens 

I have my doubts about Martinez, but there are no ideal choices in the situation that we're in. Looking at the quality of the current squad, and the fixtures coming up, by January we could easily end up with only 10 points, and be about 9 points behind the team in 17th place. That will take a lot of turning round, and we will need to attract some good players in the window. This is a poor squad and I don't buy the idea that a new manager can turn things round without new signings.

The idea of a caretaker like Hodgson doesn't sound too practical, because I'm not sure that the players that we want and who we can realistically attract are going to sign for a guy in temporary charge. So we have to try and find someone asap who can both handle a Premiership relegation dogfight right away, and also build a team for the future. Those are two different tasks, and I'm not confident that a very attack-minded visionary like Fonseca is going to handle the first one. 

Martinez has Premiership experience, he's worked with Jones before, and so together they might be the best option. I think Martinez would take the job if it was offered. 

The other candidate I like is Gerrard, despite his inexperience as a manager. He projects confidence and ambition, and his reputation as a player might just help in attracting the players in January that we desperately need. 

Rafa would fit the bill on both counts of course, but for family reasons alone, I can't see him leaving Everton.

Edited by Cronky

47 minutes ago, PlymouthGeordie said:

Something you know/have been told or something you've read?

Betting patterns.

Yesterday big odds with Sky.

Now 5/2 favourite with them,and all the other candidates drifting right out in betting... Obviously something going on,or bookies making it up....Was mentioned on Talkshite Radio.

Guest reefatoon

Whether it is Martinez or anyone else, this needs sorting at the start of next week, so they have some time with the players before what is going to be a massively important game against Brighton. We can’t let anymore time slide on this if we want to stand a chance of staying up.

Edited by reefatoon

54 minutes ago, nufcnick said:

We would have been in the same position sacking Bruce earlier, the Whole club needs rebuilt from the ground up. Where rotten through the core.

39 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

Think it’s a bit soon to say it’s already gone wrong, we haven’t got a manager yet so that will be the first real decision to judge them on. Hopefully this will be followed by a chief executive on the PIF side so it can speed up footballing decisions ahead of the January window because we have to be ready with players ready to sign as soon as it opens 

In business, not making a decision is as real a decision as any other. Keeping Bruce around for that long and now Jones has deepened the rot, affected the positive rush of the takeover, and it clearly has had an impact on the players. Would hiring a new manager right away have given the players the wake up call they much need? Who knows, but the uplift in mood when the takeover went through was such that a clean break would’ve truly given us the best chance of a fresh start, on the playing field and off. Not saying we still wouldn’t be in the same position in the league table, but momentum in sports, business and life is a monumental driver of change, and we let it slip away. 

Reading back my post, it may come across as I’m just being uber negative and attacking the owners. I am not, I am still ecstatic as fuck that Ashley is gone, and I’ve begun watching our (still dreadful) games with a lot more attention. And I don’t think it’s a lost cause already, the owners can take all the time in the world, for me. Even if we get relegated, as long as they stick around for the rebuild, I would be happy as fuck. 

Edited by DJ_NUFC
Grammar and flow. Hustle & Flow.

I’m certainly surprised by the speed of things since the takeover and that’s not me being negative or criticising  them, I just expected them to come in and be ruthless and ride the wave of optimism they created. Obviously the last 3 games has dulled a lot of that but as long as they get the manger in this week and it’s not a Martinez or Lampard I think we can start looking forward again.

8 hours ago, Away Toon said:

So Martinez. Everton, Swansea and Wigan was a long time, he played nice attacking football not always successfully. There is constant criticism that he has underperformed with Belgium and can't organise a defense. He plays with 3 CB's like NUFC do because they are all relatively hopeless and if he plays a flat back 4 they are completely exposed, like us. His choices are Toby Alderweireld is the first-choice right-sided centre-back in the back three, with Jan Vertonghen on the left, while the central position previously occupied by now-retired Vincent Kompany is likely to be filled by one of  Thomas Vermaelen, Jason Denayer or Dedryck Boyata.

Nobody could win a World Cup or Euro's with such an aging poor set of defenders to choose from. England's central defenders are not much better and we can't win fuck all either. 

Martinez is probably not the best manager out there but he might be the best one currently available. If he gets the job I'll be 100% behind him.

Italy won the European Cup with an aging set of defenders because they found a way to shield them, Belgium didn't.

4 minutes ago, mrmojorisin75 said:

Lot of overreactions to losing to Chelsea mind.

If could choose a manager right now I think I'd honestly go for Potter, maybe even over Rafa.  He's done a remarkable job at Brighton. Not that I think it's likely or realistic just who I would choose.

So much pant-shitting negativity over a result that 99% of people were expecting.

31 minutes ago, DJ_NUFC said:

In business, not making a decision is as real a decision as any other. Keeping Bruce around for that long and now Jones has deepened the rot, affected the positive rush of the takeover, and it clearly has had an impact on the players. Would hiring a new manager right away have given the players the wake up call they much need? Who knows, but the uplift in mood when the takeover went through was such that a clean break would’ve truly given us the best chance of a fresh start, on the playing field and off. Not saying we still wouldn’t be in the same position in the league table, but momentum in sports, business and life is a monumental driver of change, and we let it slip away. 

100% agree

I have been ok with not rushing it up and until the Chelsea game, to make sure we get the right one. There was no rush in getting it done the week that's been. Now however it has to be done this week, preferably before midweek. Can't "not rush it" forever. 

Edited by Ikon

25 minutes ago, mrmojorisin75 said:

Lot of overreactions to losing to Chelsea mind.

If could choose a manager right now I think I'd honestly go for Potter, maybe even over Rafa.  He's done a remarkable job at Brighton. Not that I think it's likely or realistic just who I would choose.

Rather have Potter than Martinez and for the position we’re in, it’s not a bad shout

1 minute ago, SUPERTOON said:

Haven’t seen the full article but part of it says Stavely will make her final recommendations to PIF who will make the final decision.

Have any of PIF been involved in the manager interviews? Bit strange they get the final say if they haven't been.