Eddie Howe

InspectorCoarse

I agree with what people are saying but a lot of people told me we were better than Liverpool and we should finish above them.  Now they’ve beat us with 10 men at SJP - everyone agrees that they are actually a level above us.  But it’s ok. 

So I do think there’s just blind optimism going around which in truth is probably a good thing.  My only concern is blind optimism can easily turn into blind negativity. When people avoid reason and go with whatever vibe they have.

2 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

I agree with what people are saying but a lot of people told me we were better than Liverpool and we should finish above them.  Now they’ve beat us with 10 men at SJP - everyone agrees that they are actually a level above us.  But it’s ok. 

So I do think there’s just blind optimism going around which in truth is probably a good thing.  My only concern is blind optimism can easily turn into blind negativity. When people avoid reason and go with whatever vibe they have.

image.gif.7dbbd823c613f4d212efa9a3edeb735a.gif

Why would Liverpool beating us in a smash and grab prove they're better than us? It's a completely subjective debate, but it's hardly been settled by what happened on Sunday. 

For what it's worth, I thought Liverpool were better than us before Sunday. Having circa £200 million worth of forwards helps.

3 hours ago, The College Dropout said:

And you are obviously the sole possessor of reason on here. Don't get me wrong. Overall I think you are a great contributor and a very important voice in the forum, but hell, sometimes your wording could make many on here misconstrue it as hubris.

Edited by Vinny Green Balls

On 29/08/2023 at 09:34, jack j said:

Be canny In 20 years when history is rewrote and people realise how good Eddie was before he was forced out by our stupid fans

They'll all deny it though. The same as they do now with Robson

I'll go with Mourinho as this eras souness

Our fans deserve fuck all success 👌

Yeah, this is my worry too. The hunger for success, after so many years of deprivation, is so great that it can easily turn to anger and frustration when things take a dip. And you're so right about Robson - the Geordie support, captain, Chairman and press all turned against him and drove him out.

The idea that Eddie isn't quite up to it is ridiculous. His results are no fluke because he's done it with two separate clubs - taking Bournemouth from administration at the bottom of the four divisions into the Premier League, and taking us from bottom of the Premier League to the Champions League in two years. The guy is outstanding.

Edited by Cronky

7 minutes ago, Cronky said:

Yeah, this is my worry too. The hunger for success, after so many years of deprivation, is so great that it can easily turn to anger and frustration when things take a dip. And you're so right about Robson - the Geordie support, captain, Chairman and press all turned against him and drove him out.

The idea that Eddie isn't quite up to it is ridiculous. His results are no fluke because he's done it with two separate clubs - taking Bournemouth from administration at the bottom of the four divisions into the Premier League, and taking us from bottom of the Premier League to the Champions League in two years. The guy is outstanding.

I grew up in Dorset, and growing up Bournemouth had the same sort of reputation as Gateshead or Hartlepool do up here.  It still feels a bit surreal seeing them on MOTD.

44 minutes ago, Cronky said:

I really feel that this is a greater achievement than most give him credit for. And he did it on a shoe string budget. 

Honestly, this guy does not get the respect he deserves from other managers or fans. They literally just remember him for relegating Bournemouth, it's so narrow minded. 

He's also going toe to toe with some of the biggest clubs our their with half the financial layout and time they've had. 

I agree, he's outstanding. 

Sorry if this has been posted before, but I saw a quote from Eddie saying that the previous custom of managers fraternising after a game was starting to decline, and in any event, he didn't feel it was viable for friendships between rival managers to develop. His door was open to any manager that might want to converse, but he did not seek closer relationships himself.

Again, I have to admire our guy's capacity for honesty and his ability to think something through for himself. Realistically, managers are responsible for their own livelhood and that of others, so the temptation to use a relationship for their own ends and against their rivals' must be very strong.

But I have noticed, in the after match handshakes, a certain reluctance on Eddie's part to engage in anything but the briefest courtesies. I do wonder whether this has irritated a number of other managers, because the occasional barbed remark about our team can emerge later. However, I'd see this remoteness as a form of integrity really, and an avoidance of false behaviour.

11 minutes ago, Cronky said:

Sorry if this has been posted before, but I saw a quote from Eddie saying that the previous custom of managers fraternising after a game was starting to decline, and in any event, he didn't feel it was viable for friendships between rival managers to develop. His door was open to any manager that might want to converse, but he did not seek closer relationships himself.

Again, I have to admire our guy's capacity for honesty and his ability to think something through for himself. Realistically, managers are responsible for their own livelhood and that of others, so the temptation to use a relationship for their own ends and against their rivals' must be very strong.

But I have noticed, in the after match handshakes, a certain reluctance on Eddie's part to engage in anything but the briefest courtesies. I do wonder whether this has irritated a number of other managers, because the occasional barbed remark about our team can emerge later. However, I'd see this remoteness as a form of integrity really, and an avoidance of false behaviour.

Unlike that shithouse Steve Bruce who crawled up everyone's ring piece.

On 01/09/2023 at 09:15, Cronky said:

I think it’s partly human nature, especially nowadays when so much of the rest of life is unpleasant and difficult. Football, when your team is good, gives you happiness and other great feelings and thus becomes addictive and one forms an over-reliance on it for happiness. It’s not a Newcastle fanbase problem, it’s everywhere I’d say. You’d just hope the board don’t go the same way really. 

Your second point depends what “up to it” means. He’s not yet at top tier level but he could very well get there soon, we’ll find out a lot more this year.

2 hours ago, Cronky said:

1 hour ago, Theregulars said:

I think it’s partly human nature, especially nowadays when so much of the rest of life is unpleasant and difficult. Football, when your team is good, gives you happiness and other great feelings and thus becomes addictive and one forms an over-reliance on it for happiness. It’s not a Newcastle fanbase problem, it’s everywhere I’d say. You’d just hope the board don’t go the same way really. 

Your second point depends what “up to it” means. He’s not yet at top tier level but he could very well get there soon, we’ll find out a lot more this year.

I agree on your first point. I feel embarrassed myself at the way in which my general mood can go up and down depending on the result of a football match. It has its dangers. Nick Hornby expressed the whole thing very well in Fever Pitch.

On the second point, I got irritated by the way in which the result last week was interpreted as Eddie being outwitted by a 'masterclass' from Klopp. There was the idea that Eddie was 'not yet up to competing with the elite', which was the phrase I perhaps should have used. I think the reality is that Liverpool generally have better players, being way ahead of us in that side of their development, and that our players got nervous in the way that teams tend to do when they fail to put a game to bed and their opponents go for broke in the final phase of the game. It's just pressure, and a manager can't completely shield his players from it.

Personally, I think Eddie is not just top tier, but ahead of the game. The test of a manager is what they can achieve on the resources available, and in that regard Eddie has been remarkable.

Big half coming up here. Really hope he makes a proactive change at HT and doesn't wait til 65-70 mins to start changing it.

The midfield just isn't working in either capacity. It's like a saloon door when Brighton attack and Isak still manages to look isolated.

As for Miguel Alsoran, I swear to god he'd better not trot out another 90 minutes of bugger all whilst others are subbed. Can't be arsed with it.

No idea why the team’s energy is so flat and simple passes are being messed up, and we’re not reading where to make the right runs and passes. Hope Howe makes some changes immediately here and really lets people know their place is under threat unless they up their intensity. Trippier has been off it, Tonali has lacked sharpness, Joelinton lacklustre, Gordon can’t get into it. It’s both tactical but also to do with the mentality the players are bringing into the game. Let’s hope the second 45 is a different game 

This performance feels very similar to the performances before the League Cup final last season, do we think the players are looking towards the Champions League a bit, hence why its felt very flat? 

23 minutes ago, 54 said:

This performance feels very similar to the performances before the League Cup final last season, do we think the players are looking towards the Champions League a bit, hence why its felt very flat? 

Nope, Eddie losing the plot that's what's up, poor substitutions