Eddie Howe

InspectorCoarse

1 hour ago, Ronaldo said:

What ‘the board’ - ie Amanda and the other cuddlies want doesn’t really matter. Yasir doesn’t do failure. You’ve only got to look at the recent negotiations with the PGA Tour and the acquisition of John Rahm for half a billion. The man gets what he wants and any resistance he’ll just burn your fucking house down. Ruthless.

Yep. Management group is really a govt-recommended front for SA. It's a management contract, and it can most definitely be terminated. Amanda doesn't really own anything, whatever companies house might say.

Edited by Jagten

3 hours ago, Ronaldo said:

What ‘the board’ - ie Amanda and the other cuddlies want doesn’t really matter. Yasir doesn’t do failure. You’ve only got to look at the recent negotiations with the PGA Tour and the acquisition of John Rahm for half a billion. The man gets what he wants and any resistance he’ll just burn your fucking house down. Ruthless.

Yep. I don't know why so many people still don't get this. Al-Rumayyan is the type of guy who'll spend well over $3 billion solely in a bid to secure Augusta National membership. He's a reasonable man and I'm sure will have tempered expectations for this season, but if he was planning on attending the Champions League final in Munich as the special guest of honour next year and we don't make the grade, you'd better believe that using your own terminology for a second, he'll eat Eddie Howe's asshole alive, and then probably run down the chain of command until his appetite is sated.

7 hours ago, BullyDogs said:

The Saudis are in it with us to win and dominate they don't do things half arsed or settle for 2nd best or an also ran. I genuinely think that if we finish 7th or 8th say and don't challenge really for either domestic cup Rumayan and the bosses will be disappointed 

A mate said to me after the game that he felt a tinge of sadness tonight as he thinks that will be Howes last game as a champions league manager as he thinks by the tike we are next in the competition we are likely to have someone else

I neither agreed or disagreed with him but I could see his point in it

You have a lot of mates, Bull 

We are well ahead of schedule! Nobody expected champions league football at this stage yet because we didn't get through the next stage everybody is dreaming up doomsday scenarios. All the armchair managers who have probably never played 11 a side football with something at stake now know what we should have done!  Criticism is fine but there is never any context! Why was last nights game any less difficult than the Everton or Spurs games in terms of the players running on empty?

There's nothing to get I don't think. Securing a tournament isn't really comparable with securing victory within competitive sport.

One has a guaranteed outcome with no financial holds barred in securing, so you can characterise it as being ruthless.

The other doesn't have a guaranteed outcome, has financial restrictions in place in trying to secure, and has countless other richer and more powerful clubs and owners all after the same thing, and so can just as easily be characterised as being wreckless when it also doesn't end in success.

I know some people have homoerotic fantasies about powerful men going all Glengarry Glen Ross but unless PIF are planning on breaking the model and FFP to try and get there I don't see it, or think they're smart (if the Mourinho rumours hold any weight)

Edited by Kid Icarus

Don't think he's in any danger whatsoever. The owners all know how early we got into the CL and we did ourselves proud despite not having the squad for it yet.

Can't really overstate how much this guy has helped me fall back in love with the club. His Newcastle play exactly how I'd always wanted us to - intense, relentless and with genuine quality. Absolutely love it. When he moves on we'll lose something massive imo, there's not another manager in the world I'd swap him for. 

10 minutes ago, LiquidAK said:

Don't think he's in any danger whatsoever. The owners all know how early we got into the CL and we did ourselves proud despite not having the squad for it yet.

Can't really overstate how much this guy has helped me fall back in love with the club. His Newcastle play exactly how I'd always wanted us to - intense, relentless and with genuine quality. Absolutely love it. When he moves on we'll lose something massive imo, there's not another manager in the world I'd swap him for. 

Absolutely, he has so much credit in the bank and for me the CL exit, poor away performances etc are primarily down to injuries impacting the squad and the knock on effect

Can only think of Howe and Emery as managers who squeeze the absolute most out of the players and team 

22 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

Don’t think you can compare them trying to takeover golf to trying to make us successful. 

There’s no ‘them’ about it. It’s him, and his approach in a strategic context towards other interests is relevant. As Newcastle fans we should pretty much know that better than anyone.

4 hours ago, Ronaldo said:

If the man "gets what he wants" as you say, we'd have a thread on here about the Court case challenging FFP and FMV. There's not and we know we have to work within certain restrictions.

I’m genuinely amazed that people are discussing Howe’s future at the club. 

Im all for criticising mistakes, possible mistakes and performances. But talk of his future at the club? Ffs guys.  

We didn’t sign enough quality in the summer. We are primarily a huff and puff team.  And with all the games, lack of rotation and injuries we can’t huff and puff like we used too.  We need more quality. Howe also needs to be better.  

Eddie will be given time, and deservedly so. He will be given at least another 18 months to prove his credentials. Going out of the CL this season isn’t a big deal in the grand scheme of things. It truly was a free hit to get some valuable experience of playing at the highest level…something which we did remarkably well IMO. We’ve finished bottom but only based on some some fine margins.

I’m not remotely bothered about missing out on the EL either. For this season it was correct to have an all-or-nothing approach to CL qualification.

The next month is critical though. With players coming back we need to solidify a place in the top six and also absolutely MUST win the derby. Ideally we beat Chelsea too as a trophy win really needs to happen pretty soon to get the gigantic monkey off our back.

13 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

I’m genuinely amazed that people are discussing Howe’s future at the club. 

Im all for criticising mistakes, possible mistakes and performances. But talk of his future at the club? Ffs guys.  

We didn’t sign enough quality in the summer. We are primarily a huff and puff team.  And with all the games, lack of rotation and injuries we can’t huff and puff like we used too.  We need more quality. Howe also needs to be better.  

I don't believe any fan wants him out, people are more concerned about the decision making of a bloke willing to splurge 500 trillion Saudicoins on a golfer.

3 minutes ago, Dr.Spaceman said:

I don't believe any fan wants him out, people are more concerned about the decision making of a bloke willing to splurge 500 trillion Saudicoins on a golfer.

He’s not going to get sacked because he finished 4th in a CL group with Dortmund, Milan and PSG. 

Just think it’s a bit shit that we can’t talk about his shortcomings without talking about him getting the sack. Forget the Saudi’s - that’s just Newcastle fan DNA and heritage and it’s poor. 

5 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

He’s not going to get sacked because he finished 4th in a CL group with Dortmund, Milan and PSG. 

Just think it’s a bit shit that we can’t talk about his shortcomings without talking about him getting the sack. Forget the Saudi’s - that’s just Newcastle fan DNA and heritage and it’s poor. 

Doesn't that come hand-in-hand as a Premier League football manager though? We're entering a far more ruthless territory than what we've been used to over the last 20 years. Remember someone saying that we should expect an unpopular sale in the summer, I don't see why the unpopular (but somewhat understandable) decisions would be limited to our playing squad. Surely this level of ruthlessness starts at the very top?

FWIW I really hope he doesn't leave us in the next 10 years. I love the bloke. He's a breath of fresh air after years of whinging arseholes making excuses left, right and centre. Plus you know, he's not Arteta, Klopp or Ten Hag - a grade A thundercunt.