Eddie Howe

InspectorCoarse

Just now, Pilko said:

He's got two computers and I don't even know what he uses them for.

You know how important Caulkin considered this article on Howes future to be. He came into Waugh’s office today to find that a new quiz show called Upstairs/Downstairs were the fruits of his labor. 

There is pressure on every PL manager and Eddie is no exception. Very few managers survive beyond 3 years because they lose the power to motivate. I get get the impression that Eddie spends a lot of time looking at his own performance and seeking to improve

I agree the article is very empty of anything of substance, but it's worth highlighting this last bit:

"Of course, there is one obvious caveat to the rational, steady mindset of Ashworth, Staveley et al. Whatever their thoughts, Saudi Arabia’s Public Investment Fund holds an 80 per cent majority stake in Newcastle and, ultimately, crucial calls must be ratified by Yasir Al-Rumayyan, the chairman. To date, Al-Rumayyan has left decision-making to those who run the club day to day, but there will always be a risk he will intervene if his aims are not being fulfilled."

I'm glad to hear PIF have left the club to operate as its own independent entity, and you would hope PIF are smart enough to keep it that way.

4 hours ago, Upthemags said:

I agree with you that Eddie ought not be going anytime soon - unfortunately I do harbor some worry that the PIF will be less patient than the fans. End of the day this is an investment for them, and they won't like feeling like they've been kicked in the pants a year after qualifying for Champions League football.

Why would they be anything but delighted considering they themselves have said we are a year ahead of where we expected to be at this point? I think this is just some fans self inflicting mental damage based on their own imagination. There might come a time when patience would run out, but as of now we are still on the upward cycle. If the board had been able to spend on the squad like they want to, then we were on course to have an even better season than last year's.

1 minute ago, TRon said:

Why would they be anything but delighted considering they themselves have said we are a year ahead of where we expected to be at this point? I think this is just some fans self inflicting mental damage based on their own imagination. There might come a time when patience would run out, but as of now we are still on the upward cycle. If the board had been able to spend on the squad like they want to, then we were on course to have an even better season than last year's.

New owners coming in and wanting immediate success/results is unfortunately a tale as old as time. PIF seem more even-keel than others, myself included, have given them credit for though. So here's hoping it stays that way.

1 hour ago, MrRaspberryJam said:

You know how important Caulkin considered this article on Howes future to be. He came into Waugh’s office today to find that a new quiz show called Upstairs/Downstairs were the fruits of his labor. 

‘Waffles! Waffles!’

*nowt*
’Chris!’

’What?’

’We all call him Waffles’

2 minutes ago, Upthemags said:

Endlessly impressed by Eddie's composure before the press. Not sure if it was someone in these forums or elsewhere who said Eddie has the sharpness of a politician, but it's spot on.

Lucky he's at the helm.

Have you seen the state of our politicians man? [emoji38]

2 hours ago, Tiresias said:

Have you seen the state of our politicians man? [emoji38]

Eddie is a master  in the art of “wordsmithery”  he does it better than the politicians, he believes what he’s saying and won’t be caught out on anything. He remains emotionless too even when provoked. I love it/him :smitten:

On 21/12/2023 at 09:00, Cronky said:

Well, I guess we'll never know how things would have turned out, short and long-term, if at the start of that season, Robson had been allowed to replace Shearer. He wasn't given the chance to back his judgement.

What was apparent was that, after his dismissal, no manager of repute at the time would touch the job with a barge pole, knowing what was going on behind the scenes. We ended up with our fifth choice man in Souness. 

Agreed. Robson was the best manager Shephard was ever going to hire. I wanted him out at the time but I’ve learnt a lot since then. We should’ve backed Robson for as long as possible. But we have impatient fans. A lot of our fans won’t tolerate a backwards step under Howe, thankfully I think we have smarter people in charge this time. I expect some patience and better hiring when the time comes. 

3 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

Agreed. Robson was the best manager Shephard was ever going to hire. I wanted him out at the time but I’ve learnt a lot since then. We should’ve backed Robson for as long as possible. But we have impatient fans. A lot of our fans won’t tolerate a backwards step under Howe, thankfully I think we have smarter people in charge this time. I expect some patience and better hiring when the time comes. 

In case you haven't noticed, we haven't won anything in over fifty years.

Impatient. That's Man U or Chelsea fans who think they're hard done by because they haven't won anything in a few months.

10 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

Impatient fans?  Ohh fuck off with this shite.  The fans rightly got pissed off at one of the weakest displays in a semi final I've seen Hugo Viana bottled out of a very makeable challenge which led to a goal in Marseille.

Robson made loads of shite decisions and was on a run of no win in 10, he was losing his marbles for a while tbh. 

The decision to sack him was correct, the decisions after were absolutely dire.

Edited by El Prontonise

8 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

One bad season and people want the manager gone. A bad season where we finished 5th and got to a European semi final too. 

I agree with you but it’s obviously not an exclusive trait to our club. Highly emotional, fickle people with short memories seem to make up the majority of the entire football fanbase. It kind of comes with the territory.

9 minutes ago, Nine said:

I agree with you but it’s obviously not an exclusive trait to our club. Highly emotional, fickle people with short memories seem to make up the majority of the entire football fanbase. It kind of comes with the territory.

Agreed it’s the default nature of football fandom.  

‘oh Howe, you’re a genius. I want you to be our SAF.’ Let us finish 8th this season and a lot of those people will be wanting him out. As you say, that’s the nature of fandom. 

4 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

‘oh Howe, you’re a genius. I want you to be our SAF.’ Let us finish 8th this season and a lot of those people will be wanting him out. As you say, that’s the nature of fandom. 

Don’t win the next two games and people will start questioning him, never mind finishing 8th.

One of the saddest days as a Newcastle supporter the day Robson left his office on the last day.

Howe isn't going anywhere now. Here, we must build on something that has already taken many steps in the right direction.

1 hour ago, The College Dropout said:

What's the point in you repeatedly telling us how impatient Newcastle fans are then, on the basis of their treatment of one manager, when you're also saying basically all football fans are the same? 

2 hours ago, The College Dropout said:

One bad season and people want the manager gone. A bad season where we finished 5th and got to a European semi final too. 

Everyone could see that season after we were drifting and it wasn't coming back even though we finished in the same position, Similar to Sunderland with Reid, they didn't move him on and it was a disaster 

58 minutes ago, Interpolic said:

What's the point in you repeatedly telling us how impatient Newcastle fans are then, on the basis of their treatment of one manager, when you're also saying basically all football fans are the same? 

I could name the other one who did well, then did badly then everyone wanted him out. 

3 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

I could name the other one who did well, then did badly then everyone wanted him out. 

Yeah I saw you name Pardew the other day, I'd love to know what Newcastle fans should have waited patiently for him to achieve. The season after finishing 5th he proudly proclaimed how thankful he was that we hadn't qualified for Europe again.

Then he went to Palace and they fell off a cliff after a good start, as had happened at all of his previous clubs once his bluster had worn thin. The impatience accusation doesn't work when the fans are right. 

Edited by Interpolic

53 minutes ago, madras said:

Everyone could see that season after we were drifting and it wasn't coming back even though we finished in the same position, Similar to Sunderland with Reid, they didn't move him on and it was a disaster 

Exactly. The optics behind sacking Robson looked poor from the outside at the time but those watching the games each week saw it start to unfold months before it came to a head. If anything he should have been moved on/up sooner. He was superb but he lost a handle on the club and his team unfortunately.

25 minutes ago, Interpolic said:

Yeah I saw you name Pardew the other day, I'd love to know what Newcastle fans should have waited patiently for him to achieve. The season after finishing 5th he proudly proclaimed how thankful he was that we hadn't qualified for Europe again.

Then he went to Palace and they fell off a cliff after a good start, as had happened at all of his previous clubs once his bluster had worn thin. The impatience accusation doesn't work when the fans are right. 

My point is not whether people were right or wrong. But the fans were not patient. 

We don’t have examples of taking a proper backwards step and our fans wanting to stick with the manager. 

Tbf once he had his stooge in situ. Mike Ashley was a very patient owner. 

Edited by The College Dropout