Eddie Howe

InspectorCoarse

5 hours ago, TheBrownBottle said:

Chelsea’s insane managerial record - sacking and appointing more than twenty managers (including caretakers) from the day Abramovich bought the club - also shows that one of the standard football truisms re managerial stability and success has no correlation.   They’re the most successful English club of the 21st Century. 

edit: I’m not suggesting that we do this.  I’m not daft - just that somehow, Chelsea has made it work. 

No it doesn't. It's a sample size of one, for which there is an elephantine mitigating factor. It was this assertion that led to me assuming you were using the word 'somehow' in good faith.

6 hours ago, TheBrownBottle said:

Chelsea’s insane managerial record - sacking and appointing more than twenty managers (including caretakers) from the day Abramovich bought the club - also shows that one of the standard football truisms re managerial stability and success has no correlation.   They’re the most successful English club of the 21st Century. 

edit: I’m not suggesting that we do this.  I’m not daft - just that somehow, Chelsea has made it work. 

Counterpoint:  Only 3 of those managers actually won the league, and over half those titles came from the same manager.   Pep Guardiola has as many league titles in the last 7 years as all 20 of those managers combined.

Edited by Troll

There's an argument that Chelsea would've seen even more success for the money they've funnelled into their team over the last 20 years if they'd had a bit more stability. Not sure the chopping and changing has actively helped them as much as the sheer cash they've thrown at the problem has led to short bursts of success before it inevitably goes wrong 

22 minutes ago, Dr Venkman said:

No it doesn't. It's a sample size of one, for which there is an elephantine mitigating factor. It was this assertion that led to me assuming you were using the word 'somehow' in good faith.

Sorry, I was genuinely being tongue in cheek with the ‘somehow’ comment.  We know the key reason why Chelsea won things.  But I really do think that the ‘stability’ argument isn’t as solid a premise as football’s collective wisdom likes to think.  Real Madrid has had 16 managers during the same period.  Yes, they win things because they’re massive.  Chelsea won things due to financial support from their owner.  It’s money that dictates success more than any other factor, of course.

1 minute ago, LiquidAK said:

There's an argument that Chelsea would've seen even more success for the money they've funnelled into their team over the last 20 years if they'd had a bit more stability. Not sure the chopping and changing has actively helped them as much as the sheer cash they've thrown at the problem has led to short bursts of success before it inevitably goes wrong 

Yeah, I think there’s a good chance you’re right (it’s unprovable of course).  I do think that changing things up every few years at successful clubs can be a positive (Chelsea’s chopping and changing of late defies logic). 

I don't think the culture at Chelsea permits that. Even prior to Roman. Under Bates in the latter years it was a v. cosmopolitan team. Impersonal and transient.

City is built v. differently. It has to be. They made it Pep's kingdom, with the minions doing exactly as Pep wants. 

Chelsea being in west London. Attracts a different type of person.

As a club we are closer to City. But probably more emotional, just-as-nervous. It's an intense city to live in for players. Neither City or Chelsea have that.

6 hours ago, Zero said:

No way they could afford him under FFP. If they can, we must be able to do the same

but they could afford callum wilson, you say?

Premier League Football GIF by KICK

8 minutes ago, Smal said:

not checked the validity of this but absolutely wild if true

A high proportion of goals occur in the last 20 minutes of a game. We thumped Spurs in 80 odd minutes. Then most of the other goals came against WHU in the last 20 minutes.

Odd observation, despite the disappointments of this season, our points per game (ppg) at the moment, 1.47, is the same as when we finished 5th under Robson (2003-04). Though Pardew’s 5th (2011-12) and Keegan’s 6th place finish (1994-95) were both at 1.71ppg. 
If we stay at 1.47ppg or better, then Eddie’s first two full seasons would both be in our top 8 finishing positions/performances in the PL era. Also, his first full ‘half season’ (last 19 games of 2021-22) returned a ppg of 2.00; we’ve only bettered that once 2.05ppg, Keegan 1995-96. 
Not too shabby, Eddie! 

10 minutes ago, Smal said:

not checked the validity of this but absolutely wild if true

Wow ... wouldn't be surprised if true.

The thing I like about this trio is they are all selfless players and capable of finding each other.

Be so interesting to see how it all comes together going forward.

2 minutes ago, KaKa said:

The thing I like about this trio is they are all selfless players and capable of finding each other.

Yeah,  I mean small sample sizes can create unusual statistics but I think they look a dangerous trio. Bags of pace and movement, all three will get goals, the two wide players can both go inside or out and Isak can play off the last man or drop deep and link play.

17 minutes ago, KaKa said:

The pass that Barnes put into Gordon for that blocked shot was a great sign. He could easily have just shot himself. Did he do it for Isak as well, when he stepped inside the defender and got blocked?

I'm not sure if it's the plan for the permanent front 3 but it's an extremely group set of players. 

Yeah, that pass was first rate, perfect pace, perfect placement. I hate doing comparisons as it’s not fair but it’s a pass that ASM just doesn’t have 

It was a good pass but I think Barnes should've shot there :lol:. Seems pretty much guaranteed a goal when he shoots from that position. 

What Howe said about being an 'efficient team' after the match is the most telling for me. Even more important than intensity in a way. 

The Howe footballer is efficient - know the plan, make a decision, execute quickly and with quality. 

1 minute ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

The pass that Barnes put into Gordon for that blocked shot was a great sign. He could easily have just shot himself. Did he do it for Isak as well, when he stepped inside the defender and got blocked?

I'm not sure if it's the plan for the permanent front 3 but it's an extremely group set of players. 

Yeah, Barnes could have had at least 3 assists on the day. There was the one he played over the defence to Isak in the box but he didn't quite manage to get it under control.

Gordon does a good job of playing others in too, like he did Isak for the first, and when Isak drops and gets on the ball he can also create, as we saw him do for Barnes against West Ham.

Neither of them tend to play with their heads down and try to do too much when on the ball.

3 hours ago, PauloGeordio said:

image.thumb.jpeg.1901d318ca3fd7e1c936811e23c5d121.jpeg

Pope, Joelinton, Trippier, wilson & almiron all back in training is going to help massively for the run in. Might be too soon for palace, but after that we should be looking forward to a decent run in. 

Spuds have arsenal, Liverpool and citeh to play in the next 4 as well. Could easily be breathing down their necks for 5th if all goes our way (and why not, everything has gone against us for 6 months, about time we had some luck)

8 hours ago, Menace said:

Not sure if its been posted before - quite enjoyed it actually

The winner cheated by lying about his/her position.

Eddie comes across so well both in stressful circumstances and in lighthearted situations like this. Charming, intelligent, street smart, cheeky sense of humour. Great guy, great manager.

5 hours ago, Dokko said:

Pope, Joelinton, Trippier, wilson & almiron all back in training is going to help massively for the run in. Might be too soon for palace, but after that we should be looking forward to a decent run in. 

Spuds have arsenal, Liverpool and citeh to play in the next 4 as well. Could easily be breathing down their necks for 5th if all goes our way (and why not, everything has gone against us for 6 months, about time we had some luck)

It feels like we’re gaining some momentum. Under the circumstances 5th would be outrageous. Imagine! :indi: