Eddie Howe

InspectorCoarse

1 hour ago, 80 said:

Got to say I'd be fucking lambasting Pardew for coming out with something like that. Hopefully he's just lying to cover up something he sees as a deeper problem. Assuming it's real.

It reminds me of that weird excuse pardew came up with regarding notting hill festival. 

14 minutes ago, worthy said:

It reminds me of that weird excuse pardew came up with regarding notting hill festival. 

As reluctant as I am to defend Pards, that wasn't his excuse. His excuse was that the Met wouldn't allow the game to be moved to Sunday after we played in Europe on Thursday. There isn't anyone in football who wouldn't side with him on that.

The Notting Hill thing was the Met's excuse for not allowing the switch.

Edited by DahnSahf
Format

We couldn’t compete with their central midfield of Wharton (who admittedly looks to have loads of potential) and Will Hughes, seriously, Will Hughes, who out pressed us, out fought us and generally did what he wanted. That pretty much sums it up for me, if you can’t nullify and bypass Will Hughes you’ve already lost.

10 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

If you read the whole interview though it isn't really an excuse.

I'm out.

So why even bring it up and talk about in hindsight that it wasn’t good. I mean just don’t talk about it if you don’t want it to look like an excuse 

2 hours ago, Myleftboot said:

Weird quote by wor Eddie. Not like him.

Honestly think he probably reckons we had too many sub-standard players to carry out the game plan effectively, but doesn't want to say that publicly because it would be throwing his players under the bus. This is his way of protecting them IMO.

He's right about us not shooting like, it was driving me bananas last night. Every time there was an opening our lads took another touch or hesitated and the chance was gone. It was weird.

1 hour ago, TRon said:

Honestly think he probably reckons we had too many sub-standard players to carry out the game plan effectively, but doesn't want to say that publicly because it would be throwing his players under the bus. This is his way of protecting them IMO.

“We were trying to find a way to help the team,” he said. “We make substitutions and tactical tweaks, but whenever you talk tactically, it’s always about the attitude of the group, first and foremost.

“If you’re not quite where you need to be mentally, for whatever reason, then it doesn’t matter what you do tactically, you’re going to fall down. And I think that’s probably where we were.”

To be honest, this could be interpreted as throwing the team under the bus, if you didn't want to be charitable...

1 hour ago, Pilko said:

He's right about us not shooting like, it was driving me bananas last night. Every time there was an opening our lads took another touch or hesitated and the chance was gone. It was weird.

There was one moment where I was jumping because Longstaff didn't shoot. I thought that was a big chance. However, he would've had to shoot with his left, and I'm not sure I have ever seen him do that.:lol:

2 hours ago, worthy said:

So why even bring it up and talk about in hindsight that it wasn’t good. I mean just don’t talk about it if you don’t want it to look like an excuse 

He was asked.

5 hours ago, timnufc22 said:

It's symptomatic of the way football has gone; everyone is obsessed with passing out from the back regardless if the players in question aren't great on the ball under the pressure and regardless how dangerous it is to lose the ball in such area's. It's like managers have been brainwashed into thinking its the right and only way of playing - despite literally giving up massive chances to the opponent as a consequence. I get the idea, I get how it can work and I get 'sticking to your principles'/plan. But surely at times common sense and nous comes into play aswell.

When under pressure and in dangerous area's we should have been hitting the ball down the channels to use Isak's pace and get up the pitch. Keep their defenders honest. There are basics of football that wont ever be taken away, they're just being ignored at the moment. Defenders have it so easy these days (off the ball anyway) because everything is played in front of them. Does my head in and I hope this cycle comes to an end and teams start playing with more tactical flexibility and common sense.

Yep.  The few times we managed to go in behind last night.  We looked dangerous.  

I know they didn't play as high as City at SJP, Spurs or Villa twice.  But they did almost leave a wide 3 on 3 a lot of the time.  We have seen the damage we can do against better teams when that is the tactic that we pursue and when it is on.  Yet last night, we insisted on trying to get limited players to work our way round a press, on a tight, zippy pitch in an old school ground.  All against a team full of confidence, who seemed far more athletic than the team we had out.  All against the backdrop of a lively, pumped up home crowd.  

I don't think Howe gets out-coached much or despite me moaning about other things he does.  I rarely think he is the most to blame because of how we set up and the players we have had unavailable have been a fair excuse most of the time.  But I thought he got it so wrong last night, it is untrue and out of character for him.  

He'll be more fucked off than anyone and he'll learn from that and we'll be better because of it.  I think/hope.

2 hours ago, Pilko said:

Isak was guilty of it twice, Barnes, I think Gordon too, Longstaff when he decided to flop instead.  I think Bruno, as well.  But him shooting on his left foot would have been ugly :lol: 

This loyalty crap to players who played well in the last game has to stop if there inferior options. Tino and hall should be starting as they're our future stars not Krafth and Murphy. The same with Dubravka get karius in a sweeper keeper until the end of the season. 

1 minute ago, andycap said:

This loyalty crap to players who played well in the last game has to stop if there inferior options. Tino and hall should be starting as they're our future stars not Krafth and Murphy. The same with Dubravka get karius in a sweeper keeper until the end of the season. 

I'm assuming Livramento was injured to not even make it off the bench. 

Hall I agree. Should be getting minutes given who else is available. 

Karius I think would disrupt what little cohesion we have at the back which given we are at the final games is too much of a gamble. 

Been trying to think of the match last season that last night reminded me of and I've finally got it - Sheff Wed (A) in the Cup. Desperately disappointing performance where virtually nothing worked. Few fringe players getting a run out (who normally wouldn't) but they all simultaneously let themselves down with such a shit performance it stunk the place out. Sloppy in possession, lack of movement, mistakes under little pressure and no fizz to anything at all. Shape looked bad and clearly wasn't working, couldn't get a toe-hold in the game and never looked like troubling them. Horrible performances the pair of them and deserving of exactly what we got - nothing

7 hours ago, Dokko said:

Bollocks has he said that. If he has, he's lost it. Completely cracked.

Give over man, you're the one that cracks and says stuff like this at the first sign of pressure :lol:

Edited by Kid Icarus

1 hour ago, Kid Icarus said:

Give over man, you're the one that cracks and says stuff like this at the first sign of pressure :lol:

I'm not being paid £100k a week to manage a football team. 

I'm saying whatever I say on a football forum in front of a couple of dozen virgns & weirdos. It's not the same. 

Ps: unfortunately a lot of what I said end of 23 and start of 24 was correct. 

3 hours ago, Dokko said:

I'm saying whatever I say on a football forum in front of a couple of dozen virgns & weirdos. It's not the same. 

most of what you said in 21-22 was absolutely wrong, and often just plain nuts. So don't pat yourself on the back too much. Revisionist historians here.

Edited by Vinny Green Balls

18 hours ago, Tsunami said:

We couldn’t compete with their central midfield of Wharton (who admittedly looks to have loads of potential) and Will Hughes, seriously, Will Hughes, who out pressed us, out fought us and generally did what he wanted. That pretty much sums it up for me, if you can’t nullify and bypass Will Hughes you’ve already lost.

It's my fault. I saw their line up with Ayew and Hughes in it and remarked to a friend that we had it in the bag as these are two of the worst players to have over 50 Premier League appearances. Naturally they then both go on to have very good games and play key roles in both of Palace's goals...

I still stand by my assessment of Hughes and Ayew mind.

7 minutes ago, Geordie_once_removed said:

It's my fault. I saw their line up with Ayew and Hughes in it and remarked to a friend that we had it in the bag as these are two of the worst players to have over 50 Premier League appearances. Naturally they then both go on to have very good games and play key roles in both of Palace's goals...

I still stand by my assessment of Hughes and Ayew mind.

Will Hughes is one of those players who is generally average but always turns it on when playing against us....there's a fair few over the years

Ryan Taylor springs to mind instantly

12 hours ago, Dokko said:

I know it's not the same, that's my point. Howe hasn't cracked, but you seem to be on the precipice of it whenever we have a blip, bad game, bad run of form and start talking like it's the end. Your opinion like, no problem with that, just saying I don't think it's Howe that loses it.

I don't think anything you've said has been correct or provable either way yet. Not looking for a spat, I just disagree with you. Mainly because I've seen enough to believe Howe is the real deal and undoing that belief would take a lot lot more than what I've seen this season. 

12 hours ago, Dokko said:

It's Warhammer virgins, thank you.