Eddie Howe

InspectorCoarse

1 hour ago, Dr Jinx said:

I enjoy any win we have but we also need a little context on the last two games. We’ve beaten bottom and second from bottom. We’re not really gonna get an easier sequence of games and then if we follow that up like what happened at Crystal Palace, what have we learned? Or has there been that real improvement like it looks on the surface?

While the Palace game was bad, prior to it we had just beat Spurs, Fulham and West Ham, all teams that where in and around us at the time, all of which we performed well in to varying degrees.

I enjoy any win we have but we also need a little context on the last two games. We’ve beaten bottom and second from bottom. We’re not really gonna get an easier sequence of games and then if we follow that up like what happened at Crystal Palace, what have we learned? Or has there been that real improvement like it looks on the surface?

Newcastle United Sport GIF by Newcastle United Football Club

1 hour ago, Kid Icarus said:

No one else think it was another pen when Isak was disco hip bumped off the ball after his miss? I thought that's what VAR was checking for tbh, seemed obvious to me there was no encroachment.

Definitely. I was screaming for it at the time.

FFS 27 points from the last 14 matches isn't that bad, man. Or are you just going to focus on the Crystal Palaces?

Jesus.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, PauloGeordio said:

Think he was enraged (as we all were) at the lack of punishment for the blatant stamp on Lewis Hall! Should have been a straight red! 

Thanks :thup: Makes sense. Considering what the ref was giving out cards for, I don't blame him for being infuriated.

1 hour ago, Displayname said:

Still stand by my opinion that he was acting clueless and making all kind of weird decicions during a couple of months. But got to give him huge cred for turning it around (like I always thought and hoped he would).

Have to agree. It stands out that he/we've gone from being religiously attached to 433, Burn at LB etc to suddenly being so fluid. Shows it can be done. But I'm more than happy to let it be water under the bridge. I'm far more interested in the future than the past, this season was always going to be about learning lessons.

You're right in principle, and I'm not confident we haven't got another one or two Palace or Luton performances in us this season. But we're at the stage of needing to look at what we can do well with a view to next season, and we can do a lot of things very well. Also, our trajectory is definitely upwards over the past 3 months, in terms of form, physicality and tactics. 

It's not entirely clear why certain bad things have happened over the past few months, but if they're ironed out by the time next season comes we don't necessarily need to care. Seemingly some of those problems are large enough that they just can't be eliminated this season, but it's entirely plausible that Eddie can nail them when he has the time, space and transfer window to do so over the summer.

Edited by 80

9 minutes ago, Vinny Green Balls said:

FFS 27 points from the last 14 matches isn't that bad, man. Or are you just going to focus on the Crystal Palaces?

Jesus.

There's a mob on here that's only happy when it rains. Pathetic 

6 minutes ago, Vinny Green Balls said:

Jesus.

Well we've only lost to them, the current top three and Chelsea since the turn of the year. If we don't moan about that result we might have to move on to just asking questions about the draws and that's not quite as dramatic enough.

18 hours ago, HaydnNUFC said:

Currently just 5 goals off matching 1993-94 for our best ever goal scoring PL season.

Relatively speaking, this is our highest scoring PL season. We are on 79 already (2.26 goals per game; GD 23). Eddie’s team also achieved our third highest scoring season last year (4th now).

Converting all PL seasons to 38 games (was 42 in our first two seasons) means that best we have done previously is:

1993-94, 1.95 gpg, so 74 overall (82 actually scored) GD 41;

2001-02, 74 scored GD 22;

2022-23 scored 68, 1.79 gpg, GD 35; 2002-03 scored 63, 1.66gpg, GD 15; 1999-00 scored 63, GD 9. 

Had his tactics spot on yesterday and was really pleased he decided to go with an attacking line-up away from home. we need to do more of this going forward as its our main strength.

It's worth noting that 5 of the starting eleven yesterday were here when we were deep in the relegation zone and looking like we were going to go down with about 20 points. (In the 4-0 win against Spurs, there were actually 6)

Brian Clough is the only other manager who I can think of, who had this ability to get great performances from ordinary players.

Posted (edited)

There is a segment of fan that seems to thrive on negativity towards the manager, and I get it - we have had more than our share of absolute chancers, idiots, and assholes running things. It's hard to accept that we actually have not only a decent man, not only a very competent man, but perhaps our best manager in decades running things. It's hard to let go of the spite and the cynicism, especially with this club. But it's time.

I don't think I would swap him for anyone in the world. Feels weird to say that but considering how well we play, our style, the way he improves players, the way he communicates with staff and supporters, I genuinely don't think there's a better fit for us. 

It's a long-winded way of saying - individual results can be criticised, as they can with any manager, but if anyone is seriously questioning his ability or his fit here, it says far more about them than it does about Howe.

Edited by Memphis

Posted (edited)
31 minutes ago, Memphis said:

There is a segment of fan that seems to thrive on negativity towards the manager, and I get it - we have had more than our share of absolute chancers, idiots, and assholes running things. It's hard to accept that we actually have not only a decent man, not only a very competent man, but perhaps our best manager in decades running things. It's hard to let go of the spite and the cynicism, especially with this club. But it's time.

I don't think I would swap him for anyone in the world. Feels weird to say that but considering how well we play, our style, the way he improves players, the way he communicates with staff and supporters, I genuinely don't think there's a better fit for us. 

It's a long-winded way of saying - individual results can be criticised, as they can with any manager, but if anyone is seriously questioning his ability or his fit here, it says far more about them than it does about Howe.

Plus the longevity he still has. Once we hit Regular European football/trophies he’s here for the long haul too.

Edited by PauloGeordio

11 hours ago, PauloGeordio said:

Plus the longevity he still has. Once we hit Regular European football/trophies he’s here for the long haul too.

He's brilliant in every way.  We will win things with this manager, trust me.

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, Kanji said:

How has Dan Burn got 100 appearances for us and Howe has managed 100 for us?

Howe's 100 number is only PL matches I think? He's managed more matches for us overall, just not in the PL.

I think that Burn stat is total matches across all comps.

Edited by cubaricho

Just now, cubaricho said:

Howe's 100 number is only PL matches right? He's managed more matches for us overall, just not in the PL.

I think that Burn stat is total matches period.

thanks man. Was just thinking that after I posted. I immediately assumed 360 was posting funny maths. 

Obviously he has turned the corner. The team looks calm and settle again. Frontline pressing is back. Everything looks like last season

The question is whether history would repeat again next season. 

30 minutes ago, Zero said:

Obviously he has turned the corner. The team looks calm and settle again. Frontline pressing is back. Everything looks like last season

The question is whether history would repeat again next season. 

You'd hope the squad will be stronger next season though. Only having Ritchie, Dummett, two keepers and a couple of youth players on the bench really killed us for a couple of months.  

Our 3rd and 4th choice options in each position next year should be so much better that this kind of season happening again is hopefully not possible. Plus the luck we've had this season with some of the injuries and Tonali can't surely happen again.

1 minute ago, Mazzy said:

You'd hope the squad will be stronger next season though. Only having Ritchie, Dummett, two keepers and a couple of youth players on the bench really killed us for a couple of months.  

Our 3rd and 4th choice options in each position next year should be so much better that this kind of season happening again is hopefully not possible. Plus the luck we've had this season with some of the injuries and Tonali can't surely happen again.

Wanna bet?  ;)

Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, PauloGeordio said:

So we ended up not winning in the majority of our games so far?

:mancini:

Edited by Erikse

This came out the other day in case anyone is interested, points lost from winning positions. We're in the bottom half. Tottenham are worse but the current top 4 are all ruthless. They go ahead and stay ahead. Villa have been amazing. 20 wins, 2 draws, and 1 defeat off 23 leads.

https://www.football365.com/news/ranking-all-20-premier-league-clubs-points-lost-from-winning-positions

I had a look into this and here are the stats when one goal up.

goaldiffvsvilla.thumb.png.deca8c54fc15c0fb6f77bf6a70d9afa4.png

Basically xG and xGA are identical between us and Villa. When one goal up, we've underperformed xG for and against by 12 (!!!) in just 700 minutes, missing chances galore and allowing easy equalizers. Our goal difference when leading by one is actually minus! Villa have overperformed xG in the same state by 6, making an 18 goal swing between us and them off pretty much the same xG stats (i.e., chances created and allowed). There is the points difference between us and them for you right there.

I can't remember many glaring misses when one up, but it's not hard to come up with equalizers from low quality positions, the Nunez one, the Kudus one, and the KDB one for starters. The Dummett penalty was also very avoidable.

The reason I post this is that I don't think we need massive tweaks to playing style or personnel, probably just a better keeper and better luck. Our finishing and goalkeeping going to shit when we are one goal up is just freaky.