Eddie Howe

InspectorCoarse

7 minutes ago, Manxst said:

Because of the perceived pressure? Or our current league position?

I’d wager it’s a number of factors, those included. The bad negative vibes of working for the Saudis for example and because the top top managers/players, will feel, and rightly so, they are above having to basically go back to the basics again and fight it out to succeed where failure is more likely than not, rather than join a team where they can add to their successes instantly or continue any success/potential. If I was a Conte or say a Sterling, no money in the world right now, would pay me to come and join NUFC when there are or will be better offers sportingly if not financially. 

Edited by HTT II

33 minutes ago, Awaymag said:

We are 2 wins away from safety with 29 games to go.  Any manager that doesnt fancy himself to keep us up is not for us.  They should also look at themselves as maybe deep down they know they arent good enough!

Agree, but the bigger picture is that we will need 11 wins from 29 games and that seems a tough task given the start. Plus you can pretty much write off 7-10 as losses which makes the task even harder 

17 minutes ago, andyc35i said:

Agree, but the bigger picture is that we will need 11 wins from 29 games and that seems a tough task given the start. Plus you can pretty much write off 7-10 as losses which makes the task even harder 

With the right manager I don’t think any game is a write off tbh maybe other than city Liverpool away, but even then you have to take into consideration by the time we play them they might have already won the league or in the latter stages of the champions league and resting players.

Edited by SUPERTOON

We need 30-35 points. There's 87 to play for. Even if we write off 21 in the remaining games against the top four, 30-35 points from 66 is very doable, especially when we still have everyone to play again, plus Brighton, Brentford, Burnley and Norwich to play this side of the season.

Edited by The Prophet

6 minutes ago, Rich said:

Any news here? Thought the Sundays might have something fresh.

Just more talk about Overmars bringing Ten Hag, but it all seems to be from the single Mirror article that’s being rehashed. Nothing more about Fonseca or anyone else from what I can see. 

Just now, Manxst said:

Just more talk about Overmars bringing Ten Hag, but it all seems to be from the single Mirror article that’s being rehashed. Nothing more about Fonseca or anyone else from what I can see. 

Cheers! Didn’t realise there’d been any Ten Hag chatter. My my.

Just now, Rich said:

Cheers! Didn’t realise there’d been any Ten Hag chatter. My my.

A couple at articles mentioning his name, but nothing definite. Seems to be tied in to Overmars coming. Odds have dropped from 100 to 25 in the last few days. 

Talking previously about what it would take for him to quit Ajax, he said: "There’s no reason for me to think about that now. I am very happy at Ajax and I give everything for the club, every day. I know you can’t plan anything in football, but you have to make an exceptional and extraordinary offer if I want to change my plans."

make him the offer he wants, Amanda. 

Today’s results in the Classico and Man Utd Liverpool games could impact our search.

Both Barcelona and Man Utd linked with Ten Hag

Barcelona strongly linked with Martinez and I hope they get him because I have a bad feeling we really want him   

4 hours ago, GWN said:

90% will come if the money is there , end of.

Would rather have the 50% who would come because they are excited at the prospect of managing Newcastle. One of the reasons why I'm still leaning towards Fonseca personally. 

https://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/sport/19669394.newcastle-interested-marc-overmars-erik-ten-hag/

Having interviewed former Roma boss Paulo Fonseca last week, Amanda Staveley and her advisors are hoping to complete their recruitment process ahead of Saturday’s home game with Chelsea.

Graeme Jones, whose first game as interim manager ended in a 1-1 draw with Crystal Palace at the weekend, has already been told he will be in charge of this weekend’s meeting with the league leaders, but Newcastle’s ownership group would like to have Steve Bruce’s permanent successor in place for the following weekend’s trip to Brighton.

Fonseca, who has confirmed his desire to take charge of the Magpies, is regarded as an extremely strong candidate, although other contenders remain in the frame. Belgium boss Roberto Martinez is known to have his supporters on Tyneside, while Staveley and her fellow director, Jamie Reuben, are also understood to be keen to speak to Rangers manager Steven Gerrard, who has refused to rule out a move away from Ibrox, and former Borussia Dortmund boss Lucien Favre.

Gerrard bottom of that three for me. He's got least management experience out of the lot. Not sure simply being English gives the advantage it will be assumed to be. Favre probably safest option given he's done what we want right now before. 

The Ajax side that spurs knocked out of the CL with de Jong and de ligt and ziyech and that was one of the best footballing sides I can remember at the top level. So on that basis I’d fucking love overmars and ten haag.  But that seems like a stretch too far, especially with man United looking like they’re going to need a change 

What's Gerrard actually done to be considered a good manager?  I've been mostly ignoring Football since Benitez left, he's at Rangers apparently.  But since when was doing well in a two horse town seen as convincing in Football.  Is there more to it than him just winning a title in Scotland? 

Edited by Teasy

2 minutes ago, Teasy said:

What's Gerrard actually done to be considered a good manager?  I've been mostly ignoring Football since Benitez left, he's at Rangers apparently.  But since when was doing well in a two horse town seen as convincing in Football.  Is there more to it than him just winning a title in Scotland? 

I watched rangers this morning and it was shite, just as I expected. Two lower end championship sides at a push, shit footballers I’d forgotten all about. Gerrard needs a championship job way before a PL one.