Eddie Howe

InspectorCoarse

16 minutes ago, Awaymag said:

Honestly - its moving into farce territory.

Why is this being played out in the media - whoever leaked it yesterday needs to be fired!   

Leaks don’t just come from one side.

In reality the Spanish press has been briefed by Villarreal that he's said he's staying, the meeting they had was successful and such. The same Villarreal that said there'd been no contact from NUFC when obviously there had been, the same Villarreal who have just won their first major trophy in years under the manager currently being linked with NUFC. 

Have a think about it. 

Just now, Yorkie said:

Still reckon we'll get him. Dubious about Balague's credibility and I think the man himself would've done more to distance himself from the idea were he not very, very interested. 

Yes, I agree with all of that.

Also, if Emery was a very good manager his current club would be doing and saying everything they could (fair and foul / truth and lies) to keep him - which they now are, so he is.

Today will be interesting! 

6 minutes ago, hakka said:

Do you not think our circumstances are a factor? - relegation threatened, shit squad, inadequate infrastructure, crap facilities, shit start to season, a lot of hard work to turnaround and UK press are a pack of cunts. There is the allure of serious money being here over time to make a club a trophy winning side, but for first year it's going to be very hard. Leaving the comfort of your native speaking country and leave your post at a CL playing based club to come to us in the circumstances isn't completely down to the owners.

An inability to get Emery is understandable. 

Having it leak out to the press, and having it discussed openly that NUFC are “confident” only to have Emery reject us, is not understandable. It’s sloppy, from a PR perspective. 

There was clearly a briefing from someone in the last few days when Emery became #1.

The eyes of the world are now on the club, willing us to fail in most circles. Things have to be of a high standard. 

Think I’ve solved it, lads!

”There has been work to do on personal terms and there still is, with Lee Charnley, managing director under Mike Ashley and still in post now, handling negotiations.”

From Caulkin on The Athletic today.

Just now, Rich said:

”There has been work to do on personal terms and there still is, with Lee Charnley, managing director under Mike Ashley and still in post now, handling negotiations.”

It’s criminal he’s allowed such an important role still

Just now, Rich said:

If this is true it’s a disaster. 

he’s meant to be handing over and should be no where near the front line. 

2 minutes ago, Rich said:

???????? Well there you go. Charners is sorting shit. Nothing to worry about then!?

Edited by PauloGeordio

2 minutes ago, Charlies said:

In reality the Spanish press has been briefed by Villarreal that he's said he's staying, the meeting they had was successful and such. The same Villarreal that said there'd been no contact from NUFC when obviously there had been, the same Villarreal who have just won their first major trophy in years under the manager currently being linked with NUFC. 

Have a think about it. 

Hope you’re right. It’s giving me flashbacks to a previous transfer saga. Maybe a French club? Denied it was happening until the last minute and it happened, naturally.

Let's see what today brings.

If he's reluctant he obviously never was the right man for the job. I don't buy that he hasn't bought into the vision though, if this was the case he wouldn't have planned further talks today.

Edited by The Prophet

Whatever the outcome, I would not blame the owners, just yet.  I agree Bruce should have gone immediately but appointing a new manager in our current state, was always going to be a challenge.

Our club is a total mess at the moment, and whilst they must have realised that before agreeing the deal, we have had a shocking start to the season and we are now seeing, to the worst extent possible, the knock on effect of years of mismanagement, under investment and zero ambition. 

The players, for the most part, know they are not good enough for what this club will become.  At this moment they are championship fodder and they know it and they are playing like it.

I would think any manager, especially a decent one, will see right through that.  Its a tough gig, in the short term.  Medium to long term however, it could be very exciting.  Sadly our media vultures (and some fans) don't give anyone the time they need (just look at Spurs).  

I guess I am just being realistic about who we might expect to get as it stands... 

6 minutes ago, ChrisMcQuillan said:

An inability to get Emery is understandable. 

Having it leak out to the press, and having it discussed openly that NUFC are “confident” only to have Emery reject us, is not understandable. It’s sloppy, from a PR perspective. 

There was clearly a briefing from someone in the last few days when Emery became #1.

The eyes of the world are now on the club, willing us to fail in most circles. Things have to be of a high standard. 

And you do see how the leak is unlikely to be deliberate or specifically from our owners yes?

1 minute ago, hakka said:

And you do see how the leak is unlikely to be deliberate or specifically from our owners yes?

Yes, I’m not an idiot. 

But if I’m in charge of a business or department leaking information, it’s a bad look for me. 

You can’t just say, “Oh, well, the leak came from the tea lady, so all in all, no harm done.”

3 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

Let's see what today brings.

If he's reluctant he obviously never was tge right man for the job. I don't buy that he hasn't bought into the vision though, if this was the case he wouldn't have planned further talks today.

I don't understand how you couldn't buy into the vision it's clear where the club is at and with the wealth of the owners it's clear where the club is heading. Maybe some guarantees wanted on relegation could put some doubt in someone but I don't suppose any manager is in the game for an easy life

3 minutes ago, Rich said:

Hope you’re right. It’s giving me flashbacks to a previous transfer saga. Maybe a French club? Denied it was happening until the last minute and it happened, naturally.

Many clubs have done this, although I cant quite remember the saga you've mentioned, but my minds frazzled off nightshift [emoji38]

I hope I'm right too, call it faith. It honestly wouldn't suprise me if I wake up later and he's actually on his way here, yesterday morning nothing was mentioned and I woke up at ~5pm to all the Emery talk. That's 6 hours in football. Anything is possible. 

Surely Emery knows how the British press works, so them leaping to early conclusions and writing incorrect shit should not be a surprise.

I suspect this is a ‘play hard to get’ tactic and helps to keep good standing with the Villarreal fans if things don’t pan out.

1 minute ago, hakka said:

FARCE, FARCE, FARCE

Ive held off but I am having real concerns now if this doesn't go through.   1st there was win the PL in 5 years shit.   and then the delay to sack Bruce and now this..........3 mistakes in 4 weeks

We are sinking quick

Guest neesy111
1 minute ago, ChrisMcQuillan said:

Yes, I’m not an idiot. 

But if I’m in charge of a business or department leaking information, it’s a bad look for me. 

You can’t just say, “Oh, well, the leak came from the tea lady, so all in all, no harm done.”

2nd time as well with the Bruce non-sacking as well.

It looks poor.

Interesting piece mentioned on nufc.com

A local radio journalist reported that Emery had said goodbye to his squad in the dressing room immediately before that post-match media duty.

Edited by adamjk007

6 minutes ago, Dan Gleebals said:

Whatever the outcome, I would not blame the owners, just yet.  I agree Bruce should have gone immediately but appointing a new manager in our current state, was always going to be a challenge.

Our club is a total mess at the moment, and whilst they must have realised that before agreeing the deal, we have had a shocking start to the season and we are now seeing, to the worst extent possible, the knock on effect of years of mismanagement, under investment and zero ambition. 

The players, for the most part, know they are not good enough for what this club will become.  At this moment they are championship fodder and they know it and they are playing like it.

I would think any manager, especially a decent one, will see right through that.  Its a tough gig, in the short term.  Medium to long term however, it could be very exciting.  Sadly our media vultures (and some fans) don't give anyone the time they need (just look at Spurs).  

I guess I am just being realistic about who we might expect to get as it stands... 

We managed to get Rafa in worse circumstances (relegation threat) but admittingly a better squad. But agree with sentiment of your post. It's a massive job at every level - someone may love the idea of shaping it all, but steering us away from relegation and doing the rest may seem like more hassle than it's worth short term. In particular as clubs can fire people if they don't perform quickly in this league. Emery has been a victim to that despite a good first season at Arsenal.

Guest neesy111
Just now, Awaymag said:

FARCE, FARCE, FARCE

Ive held off but I am having real concerns now if this doesn't go through.   1st there was win the PL in 5 years shit.   and then the delay to sack Bruce and now this..........3 mistakes in 4 weeks

We are sinking quick

:facepalm: