Eddie Howe

InspectorCoarse

2 hours ago, Cronky said:

I was happy enough with his appointment, although he wasn't my first choice. Whatever he achieved at Bournemouth, things didn't end well and so that left a bit of doubt in my mind.

But now, we really could not have picked a better man for the job, short term and long term.

Who was your first choice out of interest? I can’t recall who you said at the time.

3 hours ago, Cronky said:

I was happy enough with his appointment, although he wasn't my first choice. Whatever he achieved at Bournemouth, things didn't end well and so that left a bit of doubt in my mind.

But now, we really could not have picked a better man for the job, short term and long term.

‘Things’ very rarely end well in football management, TBF.

2 hours ago, STM said:

They will be licking our arse soon enough... once it suits them to be on the right side of history.

It's like during a match when the co-comms guy always says  "that goal was coming" or "you can't say they haven't deserved that", aye funny how you never say that before the goal.

These guys are tap in merchants. They go with the tide and basically try and guess what is going to happen. They thought hiring Howe would backfire, they thought the owners weren't "football people" and wouldn't know how to run a football club. They were wrong and once people have forgotten what was said, they will be licking our rim, pretending that they knew this would happen all along.

100%. The media have been begging for a successful British manager for ages. They’ll try to get him to leave, of course, but they’ll be piping him off in no time.

3 hours ago, Cronky said:

I don’t understand that though with some people he was incredible for Bournemouth kept them up in the PL for 4 years and relegated on the 5th with probably the lowest budget in the league. Relegated on the last day of the season but were pretty much already down. The football he played was always a joy to watch. For years was always touted for higher jobs like Man U, Spurs, even England. Like Burnley they are up and down like a yo-yo every season but I bet most would’ve been happier to appoint Dyche and his murderball. 

He’s not a big fancy name but we should be privileged to have him leading this club and hopefully he is the man allowed to take us to the top with his endless knowledge of the game.

They talked about it a bit on Talkshite this morning. Gabby Agbonlahor and Ally McCoist asked if EH should be a contender for manager of the year. Agbonlahor dismissed it out of hand funnily enough. Can't remember what McCoist said. Wankers!

Lineker said on MOTD that we have accumulated more points since the start of the year than every team barre Man City and hailed the 'astonishing' job EH has done.

A bit of coverage but not nearly enough

14 minutes ago, Vinny Green Balls said:

Not to mention that it was pretty much a fairytale ride the time he was there. Absurd that he kept them competing

in the top division for so long.

And if goal line technology worked they could have stayed up on GD as that point Villa could was pivotal

2 hours ago, Holmesy said:

They talked about it a bit on Talkshite this morning. Gabby Agbonlahor and Ally McCoist asked if EH should be a contender for manager of the year. Agbonlahor dismissed it out of hand funnily enough. Can't remember what McCoist said. Wankers!

Lineker said on MOTD that we have accumulated more points since the start of the year than every team barre Man City and hailed the 'astonishing' job EH has done.

A bit of coverage but not nearly enough

bar Liverpool*

I know I am probably biased and no doubt Pep or Klopp will get it.  But outside them two has anyone done a better job?

Pretty sure if Pep wins they won't mention the cash they spent this year unlike NUFC.

1 minute ago, Slim said:

I know I am probably biased and no doubt Pep or Klopp will get it.  But outside them two has anyone done a better job?

Pretty sure if Pep wins they won't mention the cash they spent this year unlike NUFC.

As good as they both are quite a lot of managers would do near enough the same job with their squads/spending 

6 minutes ago, Slim said:

I think the only other one people could make an argument for would be the Brentford dude tbh.

If Arsenal get top 4 Arteta could maybe be in with a shout. Moyes and Bruno Lage too, have done well with there respective squads, Viera too given what was expected of Palace at the start of the season.

2 minutes ago, 54 said:

If Arsenal get top 4 Arteta could maybe be in with a shout. Moyes and Bruno Lage too, have done well with there respective squads, Viera too given what was expected of Palace at the start of the season.

I'm not at all convinced by Paddy V tbh.

1 minute ago, Minhosa said:

I'm not at all convinced by Paddy V tbh.

Same here to be honest, and think he may be a bit found out next season, however this year Palace have never been in a relegation battle, and got to the FA Cup semi's is an achievement given all the turmoil they had at the start of the season. 

Just now, 54 said:

Same here to be honest, and think he may be a bit found out next season, however this year Palace have never been in a relegation battle, and got to the FA Cup semi's is an achievement given all the turmoil they had at the start of the season. 

Yep - agree with that. No doubt it should be chalked down as a successful first season and, for me, they were the better team last night particularly second half but I've also got a hunch he'll have them in trouble next year. Wouldn't be at all surprised if he's not there at the end of next season.

Replacing Gallagher is going to be very tough for them and they also need to ship out all of these nothing strikers and invest in one genuine goalscorer. Someone like Ings would be a good shout for them.

Hard me to see a manager of the year in Pep or Klopp - with the talent at their disposal they aren't doing anything extra special. I think Moyes should have gotten it last year (if he didn't) and i think it's really Howe's this season. To go from where we were to where we are now - remarkable, historical stuff. That deserves the award. 

Eddie has worked wonders with a group of players devoid of confidence and worked them into a well oiled machine.

He deserves all accolades available including Manager of the Year, we were dead and gone with a support that largely had excepted relegation, Eddie said on arrival he was confident of keeping us up……….”Now I’m a Beliver”

Can Eddie be ruthless though?

Replacing some of the current squad and moving them on, to make room in the squad for better players won’t be easy for a man who demands honesty and commitment from all involved !

Edited by Wild Geese