Eddie Howe

InspectorCoarse

I really hope we sack Bruce and go all out for Conte. He'd be a statement manager, I always wanted Mourinho if the takeover had went ahead months ago but that ships sailed as has Benitez

Conte has been successful everywhere he's been and with a bit of decent backing who knows what we could achieve! 

34 minutes ago, LV said:

I’m pretending this is a joke 

I wouldn’t count on it.

Is that not an account from that Mandy lass who runs the mess of an away bus, a middle aged wife who sells tickets to teenagers who are just doing lines on her bus and are the away fans who are always filmed causing trouble at service stations and acting all embarrassing?

1 minute ago, Menace said:

We're on the verge of being the richest team in the world and people are mentioning Howe and Potter ffs...

I mean ... the lot buying the club have mentioned time and time again it's not going to be a Man City or PSG type situation and more of a longer term developmental project, so it's not about how rich a club it's going to be.

Having said that I don't think it will be either of those managers coming in, but we'll see. It's not Bruce and so I am over the moon. As long as it is all well thought out, which it seems everything has been, it's all going to be really fun to watch unfold.

I see it like this:

If Staveley is running the show its a slow burner so we target a Howe and build from there.

If she's been sidelined and will be replaced then PIF have decided to throw everything at this regardless of what is being said so people like Conte will be approached.

I'm happy as fuck either way, personally I want Staveley front and centre as she deserves this as much as anyone. Fuck me she's like a dog with a bone. Would love that fight and tenacity running the club.

8 minutes ago, Menace said:

We're on the verge of being the richest team in the world and people are mentioning Howe and Potter ffs...

Potter is clearly destined for bigger things than Brighton - he's probably the best English manager around atm.

Just take a look at his record with Ostersund. He's not an underwhelming suggestion at all

10 minutes ago, steve_69 said:

Potter is clearly destined for bigger things than Brighton - he's probably the best English manager around atm.

Just take a look at his record with Ostersund. He's not an underwhelming suggestion at all

So doing well in Scandinavia means you're a good manager? I thought managing with success in Scandinavia was a joke and not something to say made someone good?

Howe was fine under Ashley but not under Staveley. Need to show some intent.

We can actually pay to hire a new manager, rather than getting one for free or begging championship clubs.

Potter would be my starting point. Anything above him would be great.

28 minutes ago, ManDoon said:

Have to bridge the gap though. City had Hughes. 

Aye, unless we get lucky with a promising young manager turning into a world class manager there will be a stop gap or two while we get up the table before we are talking about proven world class managers

7 minutes ago, Kaizero said:

So doing well in Scandinavia means you're a good manager? I thought managing with success in Scandinavia was a joke and not something to say made someone good?

Taking a team up into the top division for the first time in their history, after 3 back-to-back promotions, then winning the domestic cup and finishing 2nd in their group in the UEFA Cup (or whatever it was called then) is mighty impressive. Doesn't matter if it's the Swedish league, that's just class!

Now look at what he's done at Brighton on a shoestring budget, playing brilliant football. Give credit where it's due

Just now, steve_69 said:

Taking a team up into the top division for the first time in their history, after 3 back-to-back promotions, then winning the domestic cup and finishing 2nd in their group in the UEFA Cup (or whatever it was called then) is mighty impressive. Doesn't matter if it's the Swedish league, that's just class!

Now look at what he's done at Brighton on a shoestring budget, playing brilliant football. Give credit where it's due

I wasn't having a go at you, just stating the double standards in saying Potter is great because he did great in Sweden when OGS has never accomplished anything in his career and he established a club that had never won the league in over a hundred years of playing into knocking the Norwegian equalent of Celtic off their perch and becoming the dominant force and going into European competitions. 

Guest HTT II
1 minute ago, KaKa said:

Wasn't there some Portuguese guy that was mentioned as who would have come in if it went through last year? Think he was then also linked with Spurs, but can't remember the name.

Jesus?

3 minutes ago, Kaizero said:

I wasn't having a go at you, just stating the double standards in saying Potter is great because he did great in Sweden when OGS has never accomplished anything in his career and he established a club that had never won the league in over a hundred years of playing into knocking the Norwegian equalent of Celtic off their perch and becoming the dominant force and going into European competitions. 

He's nowhere near the 'great' category but I think he has the potential to get there.

OGS inherited an already very good squad and has since added to it, spending a lot of money in the process. And yet his United team look like a disorganised shambles half the time. I don't think the two managers can be put in the same category.

Potter has galvanised a poor squad into a unit that are better than the sum of their parts - a clear sign of a good coach/manager (see Rafa Benitez).  Every player seems to know what they're doing and what's expected of them and they all look highly motivated. As a next manager to pull this squad together and get us moving in the right direction, I think we could do a lot worse.

2 minutes ago, steve_69 said:

He's nowhere near the 'great' category but I think he has the potential to get there.

OGS inherited an already very good squad and has since added to it, spending a lot of money in the process. And yet his United team look like a disorganised shambles half the time. I don't think the two managers can be put in the same category.

Potter has galvanised a poor squad into a unit that are better than the sum of their parts - a clear sign of a good coach/manager (see Rafa Benitez).  Every player seems to know what they're doing and what's expected of them and they all look highly motivated. As a next manager to pull this squad together and get us moving in the right direction, I think we could do a lot worse.

You just said we should look at Potter's past history in Sweden, yet we're not meant to look at OGS'. That's my issue with it all. Not comparing their current situations. Fwiw I can see what OGS is doing as it's the same as what he did at Molde to great success, his issue has always been never having a proper plan b.