Eddie Howe

InspectorCoarse

1 minute ago, Theregulars said:

But literally they do. His record is a mixed bag of outcomes in them, including some quite meek losses. It’s not blasphemy to criticise Eddie Howe. The last 9 days show that he needs to get better in some areas, especially in matches against the big teams and in big matches. 

It wasn't anticipated that we'd be competing with these teams so soon after the end of 2021-22 though. You've got to give him slack there. I don't think we were poor in any of the 12 games against the usual top 6 last season.

I agree that's its not blasphemy to criticise him. Today was poor imo for 90 minutes, not just the 70 minutes with a man advantage.

2 minutes ago, Theregulars said:

I don’t think it is, really. Your stance appears to permit no criticism of Howe. Yes, we overachieved with a small squad. But also, yes, his record in big games is mixed. Why can’t both be true?

That is horse shit. I am happy to admit that he fucked it up today, which I have said something like four times in this thread today. The reason it's mixed is maybe that being a small squad and having mixed results against massive teams with ridiculous wage bills is fucking coupled. Jesus Christ , man. Your argument would make a lot more sense if we were at their level last year. You really are having a mare.

Edited by Vinny Green Balls

2 minutes ago, Theregulars said:

I’ll go through them again:

- cup final: lost 

- CL crunch run-in: Leeds away scabby draw, Leicester home very nervy, Brighton home fantastic 

- last year away games vs sky 6: lost at Liverpool, lost at Man City, drew at arsenal, drew at Manchester United, won at Tottenham, drew at Chelsea - meh record 

- cup semi last year: it gets forgotten but we laboured massively. Adam Armstrong was fucking unlucky not to tie the home leg 1-1.

- last year home games vs sky 6: great draw v city, meek against arsenal, great win against Manchester United, poor loss against Liverpool, good win vs Chelsea, destroyed spurs 

- this year first 2 big games: lost with poor performances.

The point I’m making is, on evidence, his record on big occasions isn’t great. I don’t think it’s as wild a take as you’re making it out to be. This is before we remember all the really disappointing performances last year when we couldn’t score. 

He is a very very good manager, I sense that he isn’t elite. I hope I’m wrong.

A draw at old Trafford, Stamford bridge, arsenal and a win at spurs is only ‘meh’ to you? We took four points from six from Man U, six from six from spurs. 

we’re still in very early days of this project and the fact that two out of the last three times we’ve played Liverpool we feel upset as we should have won, a team we haven’t beat since 2015 is signs of progress to me.

When saying things like “I feel he might not be elite” - just be careful what you wish for.

We all knew we had the toughest start to the season of any team, and we all knew some wet the beds would start to whinge, we had 1 win in 7 at the start of last season and look how that turned out. On another day Allison doesn’t pull of a worldly and miggy doesn’t hit the post and we’re 3-0 up, some on here need to take a step back and take a breath. Does it hurt getting beat off the most obnoxious bunch of pricks the PL has ever seen, Fuck yeah it does, but it won’t always be this way. 

Edited by nufcnick

5 minutes ago, Andy said:

To be fair, the gameplan was working until they went down to 10 and were forced to sit back. It's not so much the calibre of opposition that was the problem, it was breaking down a low block - an issue carried over from last season.

Even if you take away their sucker-punch goals and the game had finished 1-0, it would've been evident that the issues with breaking teams down are still there. Howe needs to suss this out quickly, as there'll be plenty of teams that'll employee these tactics this season. 

Even early on I never really thought we looked that convincing trying to open them up.

I think against better teams that press well we struggle to play and we then also can struggle against teams that setup in a low block that have decent defenders.

I think dropping off some gives us more opportunities to create space in behind to attack, especially as we have a lot of dangerous transition players.

Just now, nufcnick said:

We all knew we had the toughest start to the season of any team, and we all knew some wet the beds would start to whinge, we had 1 win in 7 at the start of last season and look how that turned out. On another day Allison doesn’t pull of a worldly and miggy doesn’t hit the post and we’re 3-0 up, so on here need to take a step back and take a breath. Does it hurt getting beat off the most obnoxious bunch of pricks the PL has ever seen, Fuck yeah it does, but it won’t always be this way. 

Yeah I’m not one for conspiracy theories but do you not find it strange we got drawn against three of the four teams to beat us last season for first three games?

i know it levels out as everyone has to play everyone but I honestly thought when I saw the fixtures “there’s gonna be some serious over reactions here”

I think it’s fair to wonder if there’s another step we need to take to get to the truly elite level.

I wouldn’t necessarily put it down to Howe alone, probably a combination of all the staff and players. 

But even if that is true it’s very understandable at this point in our progression. So far Howe has shown a remarkable ability to learn and improve. 

The game plan was fine. We came out second half, Gordon had TAA on toast and it looked like matter of time. Then around the hour mark we started to gas and Liverpool began to grow in confidence and see more of the ball. He tried to freshen it up, but he probably hooked Tonali too soon.

1 minute ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

I think it’s fair to wonder if there’s another step we need to take to get to the truly elite level.

I wouldn’t necessarily put it down to Howe alone, probably a combination of all the staff and players. 

But even if that is true it’s very understandable at this point in our progression. So far Howe has shown a remarkable ability to learn and improve. 

Nothing wrong with that, but a few have already made up their minds as far back as October of 21.

1 minute ago, Gawalls said:

Yeah I’m not one for conspiracy theories but do you not find it strange we got drawn against three of the four teams to beat us last season for first three games?

i know it levels out as everyone has to play everyone but I honestly thought when I saw the fixtures “there’s gonna be some serious over reactions here”

Yep we all knew the over reaction was coming, aye that’s the PL for you, the only surprise was we weren’t away for all 3 

2 minutes ago, FLUMPO235 said:

Jesus, on another site I’ve seen someone saying Howe is now under pressure to keep

his job. 

I hope bruno has had his social media locked. 

Think the best we can do with that kind of stuff is not dignify it with an answer. 

7 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

The game plan was fine. We came out second half, Gordon had TAA on toast and it looked like matter of time. Then around the hour mark we started to gas and Liverpool began to grow in confidence and see more of the ball. He tried to freshen it up, but he probably hooked Tonali too soon.

:thup:

Unless you predicted that we'd stay up comfortably in 22 and get 4th in 23, don't bother saying he's not elite or he's taken us as far as he can. He's a relatively young manager who has a record of defying the odds, just enjoy the ride and stop stressing out about it. I have no idea how good Eddie can be but see no reason why he can't keep on surprising people.

It's just the extremes get irritating. Criticism is fine, but after a narrow loss to the best team in Europe and a smash and grab defeat to a decent Liverpool outfit we have fans questioning Howe and the transfer committee. Don't win next week and it'll only get worse too.

14 minutes ago, FLUMPO235 said:

Jesus, on another site I’ve seen someone saying Howe is now under pressure to keep

his job. 

I hope bruno has had his social media locked. 

Everyone just wants to be Man City now.

If they don't have the kinds of players they have or play the same way, it's endless complaining and dissatisfaction with every little hiccup.

Incredibly toxic. No patience or room allowed for any manager that is not Pep to develop their team, try different things and grow.

'You have to win something' now culture. With no respect for the arduous painstaking process.

Edited by KaKa

27 minutes ago, Theregulars said:

I’ll go through them again:

- cup final: lost 

- CL crunch run-in: Leeds away scabby draw, Leicester home very nervy, Brighton home fantastic 

- last year away games vs sky 6: lost at Liverpool, lost at Man City, drew at arsenal, drew at Manchester United, won at Tottenham, drew at Chelsea - meh record 

- cup semi last year: it gets forgotten but we laboured massively. Adam Armstrong was fucking unlucky not to tie the home leg 1-1.

- last year home games vs sky 6: great draw v city, meek against arsenal, great win against Manchester United, poor loss against Liverpool, good win vs Chelsea, destroyed spurs 

- this year first 2 big games: lost with poor performances.

The point I’m making is, on evidence, his record on big occasions isn’t great. I don’t think it’s as wild a take as you’re making it out to be. This is before we remember all the really disappointing performances last year when we couldn’t score. 

He is a very very good manager, I sense that he isn’t elite. I hope I’m wrong.

- cup final performance was disappointing but in line with the way we playing during a poor run of form

- we lost twice away to Sky 6 and were not bad in either game.

- we were by far the better side in the first leg and had a goal disallowed for no reason, 2nd leg was wrapped up early

- you admit we played well in 4/6 homes game v Sky 6

- Villa game was probably the biggest occasion so far and we battered a good team

14 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

It was apparent from the moment we started almost aimlessly knocking it around like we were controlling the game at 1-0 that we were playing with fire imo. I've never known us to take our foot off the gas like we did today and I hope it never happens again.

So many people just completely fail to understand how big of a role variance plays in football. If the ball wouldn’t have bounced from Botman’s arse to his heel and straight to Nunez we most likely win. If Nunez hits the post and it bounces off we likely win. If one of Almiron’s shots that hit bar and post go in or Barnes plays that ball to Wilson who was all alone we win. Absolutely no one would be questioning Howe’s record in big matches or say that Klopp schooled him today if even one of those spots go differently.

Some people seriously need to calm down and not look at every result like it’s the last match of football that will ever be played. Howe could’ve done better today with his subs and tactics when we had the man advantage but the result was extremely unlucky and never a reason to doubt whether Howe is good enough or not for us in the long term. He’s done an otherworldly job so far and it’s disappointing how many fans are questioning him after losing to Man City away and unluckily to Liverpool at home after decimating a really good Villa side three (!) weeks to the season.

Edited by Pata

Just now, Kid Icarus said:

It was apparent from the moment we started almost aimlessly knocking it around like we were controlling the game at 1-0 that we were playing with fire imo. I've never known us to take our foot off the gas like we did today and I hope it never happens again.

Thinking back, we got into loads of good positions but then refused to get the ball in the box on many occasions. We've never been great controllers under Howe and maybe he's trying to introduce more balance to the side as part of the next evolution but it felt off.