Transfer rumours

Yorkie

When West Ham have just dropped £22m on a centre-half, and we're scrabbling around thinking about maybe monitoring a player, you know we're fucked.

If we sign nobody, I think we'll do amazingly well to finish 17th. Let's not forget that loads of teams were absolutely shite last season, which contributed to us finishing tenth (with the lowest points total in premier league history for a team finishing tenth). Those teams will strengthen, Wolves may have the strongest promoted squad for a long time, and we'll be hoping that lightning strikes twice and we somehow avoid a relegation fight.

:lol: Dinna about fucked like. Have people just completely forgot how good we were since January like? Unbelievable. West Ham buying a £22m centre back doesn't make them automatically better than us, that's not how how football works. We were far superior to them last season and still have the same squad minus Kenedy. I think the off-season has made people forget just how good a tune Rafa gets out of our group of players, and how good he is at having us win the little tactical battles that go a long way in such a tight league.

I think it's a bit ridiculous to predict relegation for us on the evidence of last season tbh, we have one of the best managers in the league, man. The pessimism in here whilst partially understandable given our transfer history, is going way over the top at the moment imo.

I didn't say we'll get relegated, I'm merely stating we played better than the sum of our parts whilst a large proportion of the league underperformed last season. We still have a broadly championship side whilst those around us are strengthening and are showing some ambition. Yes we did well in the second half of the season, and Rafa is fucking amazing, but the squad needs some quality desperately just to stand still. We're also relying on some players who have been extremely inconsistent over the duration of their careers - Shelvey, Yedlin, Diame, Ritchie, Perez etc. so history tells us that it may be remiss to expect them to maintain their post-xmas form.

People seem to forget the a few different results here and there and we more than likely would have been in big trouble last season. We lost only 1 less game than West Brom. The fact we drew so little is what saved us and had us in the heady spot of 10th on an absolutely pathetic 44 points. It just shows how absolute dogshit the premier league is outside of 6 teams

Anyone can either finish 7th or bottom imo theres that huge a gulf

I prefer to put faith in the possibility that Rafa's mantra was finally becoming embedded throughout the squad towards the end of the season . What I saw against Man U , Arsenal and Chelsea gives me hope . However , we have an owner who appears to try his best to crush the same . Given even moderate backing Rafa would have us genuinely able to compete top half finishes .

The only blight on our season was the poor run of form for about 9 games.  If some of those narrow defeats were turned into draws and the odd win, we could have been near Everton.  :dontknow:

Here he is. Could none of those hypothetical “different results” have gone in our favour?

it's a hot mess of a post that like; "the league was absolute dogshit from 7th down"

i agree, we could finish 8th if it happens again then, class!

I actually think we were better than tenth.  The numerous games we lost by the odd goal that could/should have gone the other way.  I mean, Everton did the double over us and I personally thought they were abysmal both times.

Here he is. Could none of those hypothetical “different results” have gone in our favour?

Exactly. Burnley, Everton & Leicester could have been a result in any direction for starts. Even Arsenal & Spurs away we could have won.

Same with Huddersfield away, Brighton both home and away, Spurs at home (before Jonjo went radge), Southampton away, Burnley, Bournemouth, Palace, West Brom, hell even Man City at home we could have gotten something. Thing last season were just very slim in terms of the margins to win games, things that this squad is now accustomed to, and will know how to better grind out results.

Exactly. Burnley, Everton & Leicester could have been a result in any direction for starts. Even Arsenal & Spurs away we could have won.

Same with Huddersfield away, Brighton both home and away, Spurs at home (before Jonjo went radge), Southampton away, Burnley, Bournemouth, Palace, West Brom, hell even Man City at home we could have gotten something. Thing last season were just very slim in terms of the margins to win games, things that this squad is now accustomed to, and will know how to better grind out results.

You can say that about the games we won aswell. If Lascelles hadn't of nicked late winners etc.

You can say that about the games we won aswell. If Lascelles hadn't of nicked late winners etc.

And that's completely the point. We finished 10th because of the results, that's how football works. Claiming "but it could have been much worse" is completely pointless.

Exactly - I don't like the whole 'what if' argument as over a season these things do tend to even themselves out. There were numerous games that we won as well that were very tight - it's the nature of being a mid table team where 10 other teams are roughly at your level.

Palace and WBA away we arguably should have lost, and our wins against Huddersfield, Stoke, Swansea, Man U could easily have finished in draws. 10th was about right.

Guest chopey

Don't think it's a coincidence that we tended to get points out of tight situations more when Dubs came in. He kept us organised with his constant shouting to see games out.

So true and also his ability to catch a ball that came into his area and not punch it out like our other dozy donuts helped

Absolutely I was just highlighting fine margins we could have finished higher had we not conceded last minute equalisers to Bournemouth and Burnley etc it could have also went the other way too

Next season if we don't improve like others do it could see the flip side

Not winning this game all but confirms relegation to me that's 3 games we needed to win and weve picked up 3 points weve failed to beat Brighton,Swansea and now Burnley

The lost 2 points will relegate us make no doubts about it

We cant win at home and we have a striker whos fucking sunday league standard these 2 points lost today will relegate us

we have now failed to beat Brighton x2, Burnley x2,Bournemouth, Watford and HUddersfield losing 5 of them games without scoring a single goal....We don't belong in this league man with that record

31st January after drawing at home to Burnley - "We're definitely going down lads, 100%".

21st June after finishing 10th, 11 (effectively 12) points clear of relegation - "Well that wasn't very convincing.  Only stayed up because we didn't draw many games" (we drew 1 less than 3rd bottom Swansea).

Give credit where it's due man ffs, it's embarrassing otherwise.