Transfer rumours

Yorkie

Who was the last player we signed from a South American club?

Thinking someone like Bassedas or Gavilan

Pablo Bonvin on loan from Boca Juniors which was shortly after we signed Acuna from Universidad De Chile.

Cordone?

Solano?

N n n n n n n n n n n n Na Na NACHO

Ahh the player that sent KK on a radgie and opened the tin of worms on ashley.

Edit: Just seen he was from Valencia.  :lol:

Another update free update from the Chronicle.

Anyone have any idea why they let McClaran spend all that money? It was the only real break from Ashley’s standard procedure.

Strikes me as the main experiment of the spending money on younger prospects who potentially have a high sell on value. Look at the players signed:

Wijnaldum

Mitrović

Mbemba

Toney

Thauvin

All of those in theory were young enough and enough of a prospect that you'd expect them with good performances to be sold on for significant profit. Given the experiment has largely failed he's been a tight bastard pretty much since. Wijnaldum made £12m and was first choice, the rest have either been fleeting with their appearances in the first team or sold at a loss.

I don't think we lost a load of money on those that didn't work out, if we sell Mitro for £20m then the profit from him and Wijnaldum would more than cover it. Thats' without even mentioning the £30m we got for Sissoko. You could see why Ashley might be tempted to go down that route again if it weren't for those pesky relegations.

Anyone have any idea why they let McClaran spend all that money? It was the only real break from Ashley’s standard procedure.

Strikes me as the main experiment of the spending money on younger prospects who potentially have a high sell on value. Look at the players signed:

Wijnaldum

Mitrović

Mbemba

Toney

Thauvin

All of those in theory were young enough and enough of a prospect that you'd expect them with good performances to be sold on for significant profit. Given the experiment has largely failed he's been a tight bastard pretty much since. Wijnaldum made £12m and was first choice, the rest have either been fleeting with their appearances in the first team or sold at a loss.

I don't think we lost a load of money on those that didn't work out, if we sell Mitro for £20m then the profit from him and Wijnaldum would more than cover it. Thats' without even mentioning the £30m we got for Sissoko. You could see why Ashley might be tempted to go down that route again if it weren't for those pesky relegations.

Playing devils advocate here, thinking at it from a business perspective, does £20m actually cover a transfer fee of £13m plus wages of close to £9.5m since he's been here? For about 20 Premier league starts (plus appearances as a sub) and 10 goals? Wouldn't really call that a profit as such.

Guest chopey

I dont think Ashley gives a shit who we buy so long as it falls into budget, he will have told Charnley a set budget once we get this Julys TV money in and that will be all he is allowed to spend, any money that is brought in from  sales will be taken into account at the January transfer window stage I would say Rafa has got about £40 million to spend before 9th August.

Wijnaldum

Mitrović

Mbemba

Toney

Thauvin

Playing devils advocate here, thinking at it from a business perspective, does £20m actually cover a transfer fee of £13m plus wages of close to £9.5m since he's been here? For about 20 Premier league starts (plus appearances as a sub) and 10 goals? Wouldn't really call that a profit as such.

Well obviously I was looking at it from the average punter's viewpoint which is admittedly simplistic. If you start factoring in wages, sinkholes, lunch allowances etc, then maybe £20m fees don't cover it.