Transfer rumours

Yorkie

14 hours ago, JonBez comesock said:

If we don’t - go all out 

would that suggest this takeover isn’t (big money) and the plan is to invest but very low key / sensible ?

letting the club sink into the championship means that they are sticking to a low key budget plan - eg 50 million per season and not going all out to stay in the premier league 

you would think - staying up and investing quite heavily would be key to the plan and a sign of intent to follow 

either way it’s going to be very interesting,  I am “all for” any slither of hope 

ive always said I will back anyone that gives it a go , and shows intent to improve regardless of how much they spend 

under Ashley it was the opposite , it was all about him/ all about how much he could gain / all About promoting his brand / the football club was irrelevant 

If they’re going to do what any other buyer could do, is it worth having the name of the club dragged through the mud by association with one of the most vicious regimes on the planet?  I’d argue it wasn’t anyway - though there’s sod all I can do about. 

Nothing would sum us up better than not even getting sportswashing right.

I think they will be conservative BTW.  The talk of chucking hundreds of millions at the club is unlikely - though we shall see. 

2 minutes ago, NWMag said:

People seem to be forgetting that on Takeover day Staveley said they want to win the league in 5-10 years. 

That isn’t going to happen without spending big

Ashley said the same thing when he bought the club.

2 minutes ago, Hanshithispantz said:

That's obviously bullshit like, I cannot see us having any issues paying him 120 a week :lol:

It's probably on the lower end of what you would expect us to be offering a player like Trippier.

Probably bullshit as it came from Football Insider mainly. 

Interesting bit from the Athletic.

I’m mainly paraphrasing but it’s a Q&A session with Chris Waugh and he says that players entering the final six or 18 months of their contracts are primary in the club’s thinking, precisely because they may prove cheaper than their usual market value.

That is why James Tarkowski, Ben Mee and Boubacar Kamara are among the players to have featured during discussions.

Doesn’t smack of chucking millions around does it.

I’m so intrigued to see how much money PIF are actually giving us. Yes they are stupidly rich but it doesn’t mean we are definitely going to get much of it. They might just run us as a business. I for one would prefer it if they went full sportswash and started spending big. 

4 minutes ago, Dr.Spaceman said:

They haven't stuck around for two years of negotiating / splashing millions on lawyers to ensure that we become a comfortable mid-table PL side.

I really hope you’re right. 

Just now, LV said:

I really hope you’re right. 

Obviously guessing, but it would be very strange of them. Personally I think they're wanting to compete with the Qataris and the Abu Dhabi group. There's no real point in purchasing us otherwise, we're absolutely nothing to them.

15 minutes ago, LV said:

Interesting bit from the Athletic.

I’m mainly paraphrasing but it’s a Q&A session with Chris Waugh and he says that players entering the final six or 18 months of their contracts are primary in the club’s thinking, precisely because they may prove cheaper than their usual market value.

That is why James Tarkowski, Ben Mee and Boubacar Kamara are among the players to have featured during discussions.

Doesn’t smack of chucking millions around does it.

I’m so intrigued to see how much money PIF are actually giving us. Yes they are stupidly rich but it doesn’t mean we are definitely going to get much of it. They might just run us as a business. I for one would prefer it if they went full sportswash and started spending big. 

They're restricted by FFP (Financial Fair Play). People were suggesting we would have about 190 mil to spend but the more we spend of that the less we can spend in future windows.

Basically we sort of have to balance buying players we need to take us to the next level and players we really just need to keep us up until the summer. Loans and players coming to the end of their contract fit in the latter bracket.

Edited by Hanshithispantz

2 minutes ago, Dr.Spaceman said:

Obviously guessing, but it would be very strange of them. Personally I think they're wanting to compete with the Qataris and the Abu Dhabi group. There's no real point in purchasing us otherwise, we're absolutely nothing to them.

yeah I’m guessing too because we haven’t got much to go on but just thought that Athletic piece did not smack of splashing millions around if they are targeting out of contract players for the fact they are cheaper.

I was hoping I’d be hearing things about wanting to buy quality and that price didn’t matter too much. 

But yeah, we don’t know the truth yet. 

I think they're trying to be pragmatic in that there's the real possibility we're going down, if we can bring in decent players that may keep us up or at least perform well enough to get us back up at the first time of asking then FFP won't have taken as much of a hit. Then we can spend more once we know what division we're in next year, with a more stable position.

Trippier is on c.£80k per week.  So £120k+ is a massive leap - but given our position, players of note are going to ask for more.

The transfer window is going to be very interesting - Staveley’s interview last year chimed with this being done ‘on a budget’, so to speak - though obviously not the ‘budget’ we’ve been used to.  Waugh’s piece suggests likewise.

The bit that worries me is if deals aren’t sorted for players very, very soon.  We don’t have January for them to ‘learn’ how to do transfers. 

1 minute ago, cookidge said:

I think they're trying to be pragmatic in that there's the real possibility we're going down, if we can bring in decent players that may keep us up or at least perform well enough to get us back up at the first time of asking then FFP won't have taken as much of a hit. Then we can spend more once we know what division we're in next year, with a more stable position.

FFP is based on the previous three years - so relegation absolutely knackers it.  

14 minutes ago, LV said:

yeah I’m guessing too because we haven’t got much to go on but just thought that Athletic piece did not smack of splashing millions around if they are targeting out of contract players for the fact they are cheaper.

I was hoping I’d be hearing things about wanting to buy quality and that price didn’t matter too much. 

But yeah, we don’t know the truth yet. 

Unfortunately due to our position, these are the players we have to target, as no top class player is going to come whilst we are a strong bet to be relegated. It has nothing to do with money. The fact that we have Howe as manager represents this also, as again no top quality manager would be interested in our current position. Only one person to blame for the current predicament and that’s Ashley.

Edited by et tu brute

2 minutes ago, et tu brute said:

Unfortunately due to our position these are the players we have to target as no top class player is going to come whilst we are a strong bet to be relegated. It has nothing to do with money. The fact we have Howe as manager represents this also. as again no top quality manager would be interested in our current position. Only one person to blame for the current predicament and that’s Ashley.

Yeah I understand that our position means we are going to find it difficult to attract people here.

The Athletic piece does directly mention money though and how we are looking for out of contract players ‘precisely because they may prove cheaper than their usual market value’

I suppose I’m a little surprised that words like ‘cheaper’ ‘value’ and such are being used when I was hoping that PIF would be giving us loads to spend. 

The truth is though that none of us will know their true intentions until after the summer window really.