Transfer rumours

Yorkie

Guest chopey

Stones is a poor defender.  Schar and Lejeune both better.

Agree, Stones is overrated yet when I first saw him live when Everton played us he was very young but fucking terrific

Unfortunately he believed his own hype far to much

Not the biggest stones fan, but if he’s available for £40m, wants to come and we want him then I’d be very happy.

Depends how we would plan to set up I guess, 3 at the back then maybe... he'd be in contention with Lejeune though because there's no way he gets in ahead of Schar and you need a Fede/Lascelles type in there too.

Yep. He's not a patch on Schar, Lascelles or Fernandez like

Not the biggest stones fan, but if he’s available for £40m, wants to come and we want him then I’d be very happy.

Good grief.  Have you actually watched him play these last two seasons?  He's regressed enormously.  City even resorted to putting g a midfielder in his position  rather than play him.

People turning their noses up at Stones. :lol:

I like our defenders but he’d be a step above any CB we’ve had after Woodgate in memory. If we’re going to be the sort of club who are going to start spending the money, we’re clearly going to be looking to challenge top 4. Someone who can play like him will be huge in games we’re trying to open up a team like how we set up now for example.

I like our defenders but he’d be a step above any CB we’ve had after Woodgate in memory. If we’re going to be the sort of club who are going to start spending the money, we’re clearly going to be looking to challenge top 4. Someone who can play like him will be huge in games we’re trying to open up a team like how we set up now for example.

Better than Coloccini? Nah.

We’re going to be limited with ffp too though. We’re pretty good in terms of cbs. We need so many players I really wouldn’t bother thinking about new cbs for a while. Yes we can do better, but they’re fine for now.

He's not a step up on our best defenders in any sense

Can't say I've kept track of Stones over the last couple of years, but he was rated the best centre back in England not so long ago. It might just be that he found it hard to adapt to playing for such an attack minded team rather than he just turned to shit for no reason.

This. 100%.

I've watched Stones a lot the last few years and although he's a good ball playing CB, he lacks focus and concentration, maybe because in general City don't have much defending to do. Also the play out of the back at any costs way that Pep plays brings out the worst in some players, Stones being one of them.

Stones is comfortable and quite silky on the ball but I wouldn't say his long passing or stepping forward out of defence and driving forward would be at Schar's level

Overall I’m not so sure on him defensively. He looks weak minded without the right partner and seems to become very indecisive leading to be erratic. He’s certainly not been in form for going on 18 month now also. Not sure what he does that Schar doesn’t.

Judging him purely when up against us I’ve never found him to show himself in the best light for either Everton or Manchester City. I could see why Everton bought him and to a degree why Manchester City did but whether he has fulfilled that faith at either club is open to debate.

I always think defenders usually improve as they age so he’s got that going for him I suppose.

I wonder if those that think Stones is a top level player, also want Rafa back?

I cant imagine for a second him playing for a Benitez side. On the hand, Rafa would make a defender out of a potato.

CBs is our strongest area but if the takeover goes through and the new people have genuine aspirations of fighting for Champions League places, there literally isn't anywhere we can't improve the team/squad, even Dubravka (though he'd probably be the last priority). Talking in these terms you can see Lejeune and Clark moving on in the not-too-distant future.

CBs is our strongest area but if the takeover goes through and the new people have genuine aspirations of fighting for Champions League places, there literally isn't anywhere we can't improve the team/squad, even Dubravka (though he'd probably be the last priority). Talking in these terms you can see Lejeune and Clark moving on in the not-too-distant future.

Yeah, I’m not talking as though I’m expecting these signings but if this lot are going to be signing the likes of Stones, it’s because they’re aiming high. They’re not going to be buying Stones to settle for top 10.