Transfer rumours

Yorkie

9 minutes ago, Shearergol said:

We're not signing Dembele in January ffs :lol:

Why not? Out of contract, Barca needs the cash and get him off the payroll, needs a fresh start, reputation slightly burnt after the last few years which may put off other clubs, and we can offer him the wages he wants and hopefully the attacking football.

3 minutes ago, Consortium of one said:

Because of MA's thriftiness, FFP won't be an issue in January and possibly even next summer if the new ownership buy smart.  Look abroad first, salt in some experienced PL talent on the cheap and go after youth.

We could spend a lot for a few seasons before FFP begins to add up. For example we could spend £200m this January on 5 players and it would only cost the club £40m per season (+ wages) assuming those players signed 5 year contracts. The problem comes if we spend big for 2, 3 or 4 seasons because that £40m per season becomes £100m+ per season even when you've stopped spending.

2 minutes ago, nufcnick said:

We could spend a lot for a few seasons before FFP begins to add up. For example we could spend £200m this January on 5 players and it would only cost the club £40m per season (+ wages) assuming those players signed 5 year contracts. The problem comes if we spend big for 2, 3 or 4 seasons because that £40m per season becomes £100m+ per season even when you've stopped spending.

Thats just on the playing staff as well - infrastructure spending doesnt count and it also doesnt include whatever money now comes in from the commercial side.

In other words it could be more. A lot more.

2 minutes ago, Lazarus said:

Thats just on the playing staff as well - infrastructure spending doesnt count and it also doesnt include whatever money now comes in from the commercial side.

In other words it could be more. A lot more.

Yeah without a doubt, it’s just easier to understand when it’s in round numbers, in theory we could spend £500m in January and not be bothered by FFP for 2 years 

Edited by nufcnick

Personally I feel we should follow Chelsea's example not City's given it's 2-0 in champions league wins. That means signing the best prospects around not Barca and Real castaways. Clubs like Porto and Benfica are feeder clubs that take the best prospects from South America and sell them to top clubs when their ready. Two players I think we should sign are Luis Diaz (Porto, winger) and Darwin Nunez (Benfica, striker), they've been linked with Man U and Liverpool and could play for them, but probably won't get enough games, making us a good option for them if we get the right manager. Diaz is linked with Everton, but clearly we're in a position to beat Everton to their targets now. We need to bring in goals to survive and we can't gamble on Wilson's fitness, play a more attacking front three (all the best teams do) either Diaz, Wilson, ASM or Diaz, Nunez, ASM would score enough to keep us up this year and kick on next season. With this in mind I think we should appoint Andre Villas-Boas as manager, as he is respected in Portugal so can attract players, can instruct players in both Portuguese and English which will help them settle. I don't think a Conte will walk through the door straightaway and AVB looked like he would become a world class manager at Porto, but has been mediocre since. I think he's worth a gamble for 2 years to try and get into Europe, then we can attract a better manager. AVB has a better win % than Fonseca (who has never looked like a soon to be world class manager), plays attacking football and definitely speaks fluent English (I honestly don't know whether Fonseca does or not).

52 minutes ago, Shearergol said:

We're actually at the point of turning our noses up at Dembele then :lol:

Unless we sign Foden and Haaland in January I'm done.

Things do move fast in here. :lol:

56 minutes ago, Shearergol said:

We're actually at the point of turning our noses up at Dembele then :lol:

Unless we sign Foden and Haaland in January I'm done.

Absolutely all about spending a load of wage budget on a player who is never available regardless of the quality, but yeah you can frame it like that if you like.  👍

44 minutes ago, ManDoon said:

Would take Abraham here all day 

He’d be on 50 + goals for us by now if Ashley only sanctioned his signing when Rafa first wanted him…

4 minutes ago, ManDoon said:

Aye, rafa knew as always. He’s a class player, and he will be better for going to play in Italy. Would love us to get him 

Aye I’ve always rated him, he has it in him to be a very very top-class striker, if not a massively prolific one, even though he’d still get more than enough goals. He’s a level and more above Wilson for me for example.