Transfer rumours

Yorkie

20 minutes ago, Away Toon said:

How are we going to persuade someone like Trippier to sign? Lots of loot and a long contract for starters. But Trippier is too good and too old to spend a season and maybe longer in the Championship, so what then? If we are relegated let him walk on a free or a minimal fee? Any reasonably good still ambitious player is not going to join us now unless we give them a way out if we get relegated. Good Championship players like the Chilean from Blackburn and the boy from Forest we are linked with might be the only way for us to go. If they are good enough now they might keep us up, if not they help us build back up next season.

NUFC still has somewhat of a glamour club feel about it despite the last decade or so, especially for British players who have grown up when Newcastle was a huge club. Add the takeover which now makes us the richest club in the world and increases our attractiveness tenfold. 

Just the fact we were targeted by the richest investors in football history tells you in itself that Newcastle still has a mighty pull factor. 

2 minutes ago, JonBez comesock said:

Rumours our first January signing will be announced on Christmas Eve / Friday 3pm ?? ?

Fucking hope so, will be a sign of the times!

Edited by HTT II

If we don’t - go all out 

would that suggest this takeover isn’t (big money) and the plan is to invest but very low key / sensible ?

letting the club sink into the championship means that they are sticking to a low key budget plan - eg 50 million per season and not going all out to stay in the premier league 

you would think - staying up and investing quite heavily would be key to the plan and a sign of intent to follow 

either way it’s going to be very interesting,  I am “all for” any slither of hope 

ive always said I will back anyone that gives it a go , and shows intent to improve regardless of how much they spend 

under Ashley it was the opposite , it was all about him/ all about how much he could gain / all About promoting his brand / the football club was irrelevant 

Edited by JonBez comesock

7 hours ago, hakka said:

No risk? He could be as effective as Willock is right now for us. 

I liked Alli a few years ago when he was scoring double figures, doing flicks and good runs... there's no guarantee he will hit that form here. 

I'd say it's gamble. He looked a bit fo his old self against Liverpool, but that's first in a long time.

I'd prefer a more consistent player. Also what position is Alli? Second striker? He's not much of a CM.

I meant no risk in a loan scenario.

2 minutes ago, JonBez comesock said:

Seeing a lot of talk with Deli Ali , Nathan Ake 

Both are playing quite a bit , not just unused subs so can’t see either happening 

I don't really see where Dele Alli would fit in with a Howe pressing game plan. He's like an upgraded Willock, not really a proper forward, neither a midfielder. 

That said, he is a fantastic footballer on his day, and he did a good job for a while with Pochettino who played a similar way, but he also didn't perform so well in Poch's last season. 

1 hour ago, TRon said:

I don't really see where Dele Alli would fit in with a Howe pressing game plan. He's like an upgraded Willock, not really a proper forward, neither a midfielder. 

That said, he is a fantastic footballer on his day, and he did a good job for a while with Pochettino who played a similar way, but he also didn't perform so well in Poch's last season. 

Lingaard would make a lot more sense in terms of fitting in with Howe's style.

Will be a very interesting window. An opportunity to show that the club can 1)  attract (buy) quality players, 2) attract players that have a future, 3) attract players that will have an immediate impact, 4) attract players that match the manager's style, etc., etc. The more I think about it, the less optimistic I am.

1 hour ago, jackyboy said:

I just hope the rumours connecting us with Martial of Man U are way off the mark. He's got to be one of the laziest players in the PL

I think he'd be a great signing personally - defo upgrade on what we've got.

I hope we're targeting a LB as that's our priority atm

Edited by duo

2 hours ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

I mean, they are serious mate. 

interesting comment , something I’ve been wondering about in truth , we will soon find out , won’t we? I’m intrigued as how the will “perform” in this window .The cynic in me thinks it will be a mess  or nothing what we expected, should be quite a ride. 

I want us to continue the quest to become the new Bournemouth, ideally going after players with the most mainstream British names. I want us to be like when half their team was called Cook, Wilson or Smith - already made a start there too. Says a lot when they signed a guy born and raised in Norway and his name is Josh King. 

10 minutes ago, Peppe said:

Trippier starts for Athletico tonight. Why is he rumoured to be leaving? ?

Because his contract is up in 18 months, he’s 31 years old, and he wants a last good money maker to retire on. If he manages a move back to friends and family in the UK at the same time, then all the better. 

Newcastle face competition from Manchester United and Tottenham in the race to sign England defender Kieran Trippier, 31, from Atletico Madrid. (90min)

Tottenham, Newcastle, West Ham and Rangers are battling it out to sign West Brom and England goalkeeper Sam Johnstone, 28. (Teamtalk)

Newcastle have joined Brighton in the race to sign Tottenham and Wales defender Joe Rodon, 24. (Times - subscription required)