What badge is best?  

296 members have voted

1. 1. Which one?

• 1969-1976 Coat of Arms
    • 1976-1983 Castle Keep
    • 1983-1988 Upturned ‘C’
    • 1988-2021 Present Badge

2 hours ago, gjohnson said:

Think the sea-horses should go....we're not close enough to the sea for a maritime reference to be particularly relevant now that there's no shipping of coal along the Tyne.

I love our current crest, and wouldn't change it, but if we have to then maybe we could have something like the Cityscape goalie top from 96/97

Agreed. Replace them with two headsets.

Our Club Crest is based on our City Coat of Arms. Our ancient City Coat of Arms has Seahorses on it, and that is not going to change.

As the principal Football Club of our Region that also primarily represents our great City around the world, then our Club Crest should (in my opinion) continue to represent "Club and City" combined, as it does now.

The below explains the City of Newcastle upon Tyne Coat of Arms . . . 

The coat of arms for the city of Newcastle upon Tyne has been in use since at least the fourteenth century. The earliest surviving example of the three silver castles on a red shield, dating from about 1400, is in the window on the north side of the Chancel in St. John's Church. It has three castles, supported by two seahorses. At the top there is a lion holding the golden staff of St. George's pennant. At the bottom is the motto Fortiter Defendit Triumphans, meaning Triumphing by Brave Defence.

Both the supporters and crest were added to the shield by grant of William Flower, Norroy King of Arms, in 1575. 

The blazon - The formal description of the coat of arms, known as a blazon, is: Arms: Gules three Castles triple towered Argent. Crest: On a Wreath of the Colours a Castle as in the Arms issuant therefrom a demi Lion guardant supporting a Flagstaff Or flying therefrom a forked Pennon of the Arms of Saint George. Supporters: On either side a Sea Horse proper crined and finned Or.

What the coat of arms means:

The castle motif goes back to earliest times. Originally the town took its name from the "New Castle" built by order of Robert Curthose, eldest son of William the Conqueror, in 1080 and a castle was depicted on the twelfth century common seal.

The supporters, two mythical sea-horses shaded in green with gold manes, fins and tails, are a reminder that Newcastle is a seaport.

The motto, Fortiter Defendit Triumphans (Triumphing by Brave Defence) was adopted during the Civil War, following the stubborn defense of the town against the Scots in 1644.

Edited by manorpark

I like them all. 

Maybe have a third kit in the future and cycle the various clubs crests on it each season.  I doubt the rules would allow this in the Prem but maybe if we ever get back to playing in Europe again...

I prefer having a seahorse on the badge than a magpie. Whatever questions about the decision to choose a seahorse centuries ago, a seahorse is a tie to the city, whereas a magpie is just a tie to the colour of our shirts. It's fun when a magpie lands on the pitch or something, but with some exceptions (e.g. the big monty mag banner) I tend to find other club's fans associate us with magpies more than we do - e.g. I'd never say I'm a 'mag' whereas other fans refer to us as that. (I don't say 'come on seahorses' either like, but find more meaning in the symbol)

Don't hate it like, but don't have much attachment to it - and at least that badge has the castle on it.

Edited by Inferior Acuña

17 minutes ago, Inferior Acuña said:

I prefer having a seahorse on the badge than a magpie. Whatever questions about the decision to choose a seahorse centuries ago, a seahorse is a tie to the city, whereas a magpie is just a tie to the colour of our shirts. It's fun when a magpie lands on the pitch or something, but with some exceptions (e.g. the big monty mag banner) I tend to find other club's fans associate us with magpies more than we do - e.g. I'd never say I'm a 'mag' or 'come on the mags'.

Everywhere we go,

Magpie ranger and other chants.

Oh when the Mags etc?

Edited by Doc
bad memory.

15 minutes ago, madras said:

Any idea why the red cross on blue background on the flag.

From what I've found over the years from little bits of research, which may be completely wrong, is that it was just a genuine error that has stuck. No one knows why. It shouldn't be blue, should be white of course, but is now simply one of those little quirks! 

6 minutes ago, number37 said:

From what I've found over the years from little bits of research, which may be completely wrong, is that it was just a genuine error that has stuck. No one knows why. It shouldn't be blue, should be white of course, but is now simply one of those little quirks! 

I had heard it was so the flag wasn't Red and White, nothing definitive though.

7 hours ago, pedro111 said:
8 hours ago, Novocastrian said:

As someone who has sailed up the Tyne on a Royal Navy destroyer I respectfully beg to differ.

Exactly. To say Newcastle is not close enough to the sea is just laughable. I'm sure I read once that one particular year in the mid 20th Century, the Tyne shipyards produced more ships than the entirety of the USA. But aye, let's cast our sea connection aside!

:thup: The city and the region have much more connection with the sea than just coal and shipyards as well. Fishing and as a trade port have been important since Roman times. We've got a statue of Neptune on the quayside. Used to have a fella walk round dressed up as Neptune at the fishquay festival having pictures taken with people. It doesnt need to be in your face relevant now for it to be able to be a representation of your history.

Edited by Super Duper Branko Strupar

1 hour ago, Super Duper Branko Strupar said:

:thup: The city and the region have much more connection with the sea than just coal and shipyards as well. Fishing and as a trade port have been important since Roman times. We've got a statue of Neptune on the quayside. Used to have a fella walk round dressed up as Neptune at the fishquay festival having pictures taken with people. It doesnt need to be in your face relevant now for it to be able to be a representation of your history.

We also have the Tyne god, a made up mythical god like creature covered in coal and fish and the likes.

I'd say we are intrinsically linked to the sea like.

10 hours ago, gjohnson said:

Yes really. 

We're not exactly Grimsby,  or even Sunderland where the ground in only 1 or 2 miles from the sea. 

Historically it may have been relevant with coal shipping and ship building but they're long gone. Now Newcastle does not rely on being a coastal city at all

Eh..? You've got huge oil service businesses that manufacture and ships subsea umbilicals, flexible pipes and a ton of other subsea structures and minor components/services to all major oil companies around the world. I'm sure there's a lot of other stuff that I am not aware of as well.

Guest dazzanufc1892

I like our current one but it’s so complicated for marketing. A castle with a black and white shield is easy. 

we are aiming to be bigger so the older one I actually prefer doesn’t work as it says football club. Teams like Man Utd removed that to be more than just a football team