Clark

What badge is best?  

296 members have voted

1. 1. Which one?

• 1969-1976 Coat of Arms
    • 1976-1983 Castle Keep
    • 1983-1988 Upturned ‘C’
    • 1988-2021 Present Badge

Voted for the Castle Keep badge because I absolutely love it, but I fully agree with most that there is absolutely nothing wrong with our current badge, and there's no real reason to change it.  Gordon McKeag got a lot of things wrong, but implementing the existing club crest is certainly something which he got right.

Also, the fact that the mackems plagiarised it when they changed their badge soon after, and thought nobody would notice.

Castle keep for me, although the colours and font could do with a bit of "freshening up". Love the current one too, but there's a bit too much going on in it for my liking, especially in and around the seahorse bodies. Wouldn't mind that simplified. Also, can anyone explain to me the meaning of the colours of the flag. Why was it changed from the St. George's one on the original one?

3 minutes ago, Unbelievable said:

Castle keep for me, although the colours and font could do with a bit of "freshening up". Love the current one too, but there's a bit too much going on in it for my liking, especially in and around the seahorse bodies. Wouldn't mind that simplified. Also, can anyone explain to me the meaning of the colours of the flag. Why was it changed from the St. George's one on the original one?

The original one is the City Coat of Arms, then and now, nothing has changed on that, see the example below on display at the Civic Centre . . .

Seahorses_on_City_Coat_of_Arms.jpg

With the agreement of the City, the Club used to use their crest identically, but moved away from that in 1976.

In making a unique version of the City Coat of Arms to become our current Club Crest, the City Coat of Arms was re-adopted but simplified and some of the colours were changed for our use, to (I always assumed) a more "NUFC-related" series of colours.

I rather loved this prototype from a few years ago. It's funny how something so amazing is almost too easy. 

EYZt0KfXgAMVop7?format=jpg&name=large

EYZt1f9XgAEsu42?format=jpg&name=large

As a slight tweak you could always just change the red/white stripes to black/white that are just above the seahorses' hooves. Maybe use the regular blue scroll for the club name too seeing as it's not the 125 anniversary any more. 

Think the sea-horses should go....we're not close enough to the sea for a maritime reference to be particularly relevant now that there's no shipping of coal along the Tyne.

I love our current crest, and wouldn't change it, but if we have to then maybe we could have something like the Cityscape goalie top from 96/97

24 minutes ago, number37 said:

I rather loved this prototype from a few years ago. It's funny how something so amazing is almost too easy. 

As a slight tweak you could always just change the red/white stripes to black/white that are just above the seahorses' hooves. Maybe use the regular blue scroll for the club name too seeing as it's not the 125 anniversary any more. 

Very similar to a rough design I did when we were coming up with those alternative Newcastle tops a few years back. I love that. I do think the crest could do with an update tbh, but more towards something subtle like this.

10 minutes ago, gjohnson said:

Think the sea-horses should go....we're not close enough to the sea for a maritime reference to be particularly relevant now that there's no shipping of coal along the Tyne.

I love our current crest, and wouldn't change it, but if we have to then maybe we could have something like the Cityscape goalie top from 96/97

Really? :lol:

Edited by pedro111

3 minutes ago, pedro111 said:

Really? :lol:

Yes really. 

We're not exactly Grimsby,  or even Sunderland where the ground in only 1 or 2 miles from the sea. 

Historically it may have been relevant with coal shipping and ship building but they're long gone. Now Newcastle does not rely on being a coastal city at all

Personally think the nufc one is shite.  Hope they don't change the one we've got really, no need for it at all.  When you think of a list of things that need sorted within the club, this is nowhere near a necessity.

4 minutes ago, Wilson said:

Personally think the nufc one is shite.  Hope they don't change the one we've got really, no need for it at all.  When you think of a list of things that need sorted within the club, this is nowhere near a necessity.

Yep....changing the Crest is bottom of a long list of other priorities.

Watch it get changed next week....Charnley logic

Current one is good and merges the city and club well, although I wouldn’t be against this one

55 minutes ago, number37 said:

I personally think we'd be in murky waters (pardon the pun) if we sideline our history too much. It's true the Tyne is no longer used for heavy industry as it once was but it still has undeniable resonance, like it's still physically there flowing through the city!

On a similar note, I doubt the Manchester shipping canal is used as much as it was historically but still remains visible on the crests of both Manchester clubs. Arsenal have long since moved away from the manufacturing of armaments, they've even relocated from the area of London where this took place but they still have a cannon on their badge. 

1 hour ago, gjohnson said:

As someone who has sailed up the Tyne on a Royal Navy destroyer I respectfully beg to differ.

1 hour ago, number37 said:

I like it, but it’s way too busy from a design and marketing standpoint. Simplicity is king. Our current badge is fine, though I think it could use updating.

I voted for the circular castle keep one…give that one a modern tweak and it’s a winner.

Edited by Tomato Deuce

16 minutes ago, Novocastrian said:

As someone who has sailed up the Tyne on a Royal Navy destroyer I respectfully beg to differ.

Exactly. To say Newcastle is not close enough to the sea is just laughable. I'm sure I read once that one particular year in the mid 20th Century, the Tyne shipyards produced more ships than the entirety of the USA. But aye, let's cast our sea connection aside!

Edited by pedro111