The Relegationometer™ (2023/24)

midds

The Relegationometer™ (2023/24)  

403 members have voted

1. 1. How likely are we to get relegated this season? 0 = nee chance, 5 = can’t call it, 10 = nailed on marra

3 hours ago, 54 said:

Also, Meslier is genuinely shit, I thought at one point he had potential, but look at this second Bournemouth goal, its so so bad.

Andy Marshall at Norwich. Its not just that the only good game I've seen him have was against us, but every other time I've seen he's been shit and just looks like he'd give the defence kittens he's that unimposing.

Gonna have to do it again cos I've got them down if they don't beat us.

10 hours ago, Pilko said:

To be fair to Gary O'Neil, everyone and their dog had Bournemouth nailed to go down when he took over there and he's steered them to safety with games to spare.

They've still taken some hammerings but he's done well to get the points in early.

He's done a brilliant job, especially when you consider the circumstances he got it

They got battered 9-0 and Parker said they are shite and done

Ouattara was a good signing for them in January 

Leeds are beyond frail. They have 0 midfield presence and absence of any competent defenders. They are surely doomed with Southampton. 

I hope everton get gone because it's funny. 

4 hours ago, Geordie Ahmed said:

He's done a brilliant job, especially when you consider the circumstances he got it

They got battered 9-0 and Parker said they are shite and done

Ouattara was a good signing for them in January 

Parker may still go on to have a decent managerial career, who knows, but calling out his players in that way was pathetic. To have them show him up in this way says a lot about them and even more about Parker 

4 hours ago, Superior Acuña said:

I think the league's definitely better for having Leeds in it, it'd be a shame if they went again. They looked rubbish from what I saw them against Leicester.

I don't think they offer anything. 

7 minutes ago, Optimistic Nut said:

I don't think they offer anything. 

I think they have one of the best supports and grounds in the league. I also like to see all the major northern cities have a team in there and particularly Leeds as the closest one to us of that cluster. 

5 hours ago, gbandit said:

Parker may still go on to have a decent managerial career, who knows, but calling out his players in that way was pathetic. To have them show him up in this way says a lot about them and even more about Parker 

Didn’t he get sacked after a dozen games in his next job?

On 30/04/2023 at 18:59, Yorkie said:

Absolutely. Still keen to hear @WillDanceForChocolate's take on their mini-resurgence after the despondency earlier this calendar year. 

He's done well but let's remember this is a season like no other at the bottom of the Premier League. Never before have we seen so many sackings and I'm not sure the last time the battle included that many teams so close together for so long.

Steve Bruce kept you up but I'm pretty sure he wasn't too rated here. Ok, O'Neil isn't Bruce but even though Gary has done brilliantly to keep us up there are still major issues.

After the awful run, he must have accepted he had to evolve tactically because things started to change. He still sometimes has the habit of drawing up the drawbridge on 60 minutes to an excessive extent if we have a goal lead but not as badly as before where all forward running ambition was abandoned and we simply invited the other team to camp in our box.

So he is learning, but that's part of the issue. He's making the mistakes rookie managers make in one of the toughest leagues in the world where the opposition are usually ruthless. The chaos at the bottom has helped him massively there.

Let's take a situation that a manager can influence more than almost any other on a pitch. Set pieces. It's a situation where he can set the roles and organise them. We've let in something like five more than any other Premier League team from set pieces this season. Nothing has changed in how we approach it all season, even though we let in two more a week ago against West Ham. In the win against Spurs, before our injury time winner they had a simple chance from a corner to score and win it but Richarlison fluffed it. That for me rings massive alarm bells that a manager has failed so badly at one of the few situations where he can almost directly control his players. In another season, let in five more from set pieces than any other team and you're relegated.

That's some of the bad. As for the good, well he seems to be incredible at motivating the players. He also seems to be able to get the players to draw a line under bad results and move on quickly which is a great skill to have in our position. After being dogmatic about things for a long time, he's become more adaptable tactically and so is learning. He has finally accepted sometimes we need to attack teams and can't always be on the defensive which is a relief.

The question is, will he learn quickly enough for next season when I'd guess things won't be as messy near the bottom? My suspicion is no he won't but I'd obviously be happy if he surprised me. I'm often wrong about things in football and so will have no issue with saying I called it badly in twelve months if he's still in place and we're safe again.

As for those saying that he should get Manager of the Season, they're pretty laughable. He's done well after a terrible start, but set against a division that has set fire to itself in the bottom half.

The bottom 5 has som really tough fixtures coming up. This can get very interesting.

soton is f’ed obv. 

Edited by maze

Decent chance that Everton only get 2 more points this season. They're getting nothing from City or Brighton, not sure they're good enough to beat Wolves away and Bournemouth will have nothing to lose and have zero pressure on the last day