Crypto/NFT/Fan Tokens in Football

GeordieDazzler

On 28/01/2022 at 17:27, GeordieDazzler said:

f51d07e6e0dc738c14c278d2cd82e4f210d1f906

"But you can't change it, it's on the block-chain!"  What happens to the Liverpool NFTs when stuff like this happens? You "buy" an NFT you think you own of Salah, but he goes to Real Madrid and typical agent shit happens where someone else claims to own the rights to his image and hits a cease and disist?  Or, like 3 did with Chelsea, the sponsor on his NFT image's shirt demands not to be used on merch any more? 

39 minutes ago, Jaqen said:

Was kinda against it all but if Bobby Zamora is praising the artwork of these things I might have been a bit too hasty to write them off. 

Don't forget about giving back to football in a web3 format. An oft-overlooked positive of this brave new world. 

11 hours ago, Joey Linton said:

I still don't have a clue what this is and why it has any value. 

I don’t think it does actually have any ‘value’ as such. Apart from potentially psychological value to the owner.

Perhaps if it really takes off there’s potential for them to become collectors items somehow that would give them a greater value to other collectors (if it’s even possible to transfer ownership in the event of a sale?)

But they should absolutely not be seen as a financial investment, and I think clubs will be very careful with their marketing strategies so they can’t be accused of promoting them as such.

• 1 month later...

Following the apparent madness of Michael Owen’s venture into this world, does anyone actually know anyone who is buying /investing, whatever you want to call it, in this “market”.

I’m probably not the target demographic for it, so might be no great surprise I find the whole thing totally ludicrous, but someone must be getting involved to make it worthwhile for people like Owen?

Its very difficult to have an good debate on the topic in this thread. People have already made up their mind. 

I for one believe in the utility. Cant paint everything with the same brush as "Why would you spend £££ on a gif ???"

13 minutes ago, arnonel said:

Its very difficult to have an good debate on the topic in this thread. People have already made up their mind. 

I for one believe in the utility. Cant paint everything with the same brush as "Why would you spend £££ on a gif ???"

If I understand Owen’s proposal correctly, he’s saying they can’t lose “value” as you can’t sell it for less than you paid for it. So if you buy it for whatever, and it becomes worth less in the marketplace, you’re lumbered with a 100% ‘loss’.

Is that correct? If so, I’m not even sure how it’s legal, never mind the moral aspect of it.

Guest neesy111
Just now, SteV said:

If I understand Owen’s proposal correctly, he’s saying they can’t lose “value” as you can’t sell it for less than you paid for it. So if you buy it for whatever, and it becomes worth less in the marketplace, you’re lumbered with a 100% ‘loss’.

Is that correct? If so, I’m not even sure how it’s legal, never mind the moral aspect of it.

Yes, essentially that's what Owen is doing.

Guest neesy111
18 minutes ago, arnonel said:

NFT's are not a utility.

6 hours ago, SteV said:

All he's promising is that in the eventuality that it devalues then he's not going to sell it, hardly the USP to hang your hat on.

8 hours ago, arnonel said:

Enlighten us. 

Personally not a fan

It's like.the Internet. You can use it to communicate with loved ones one a different continent. You can also use it to sell drugs etc

Does that make the Internet inherintly bad? Nope. It's all how it's used

NFTs are a great innovation but has led to a lot of exploitation. Understand it has given it a bad name. 

Will try explain where I am using tomorrow.

Pissed after work drinks and don't want to get suckered into unnecessary online arguments 👍🏻

Just now, arnonel said:

Personally not a fan

It's like.the Internet. You can use it to communicate with loved ones one a different continent. You can also use it to sell drugs etc

Does that make the Internet inherintly bad? Nope. It's all how it's used

NFTs are a great innovation but has led to a lot of exploitation. Understand it has given it a bad name. 

Will try explain where I am using tomorrow.

Pissed after work drinks and don't want to get suckered into unnecessary online arguments 👍🏻

Will look forward to reading it.