Realistic Transfer Targets (2023/24)

joeyt

2 minutes ago, Ronson333 said:

Agree with championship youngsters you can find some gems. Like how did everyone but Palace miss out Michael Oilse

Palace did really well with both Eze and Olise.

A lot of younger talent get more of an opportunity to play in the Championship and so yeah, you can definitely get some gems from there.

I like the striker at Luton as well, Elijah Adebayo, another one that has had a bit of a breakout season.

13 minutes ago, KaKa said:

Yeah, I like the idea of getting some youngsters from the Championship. 

What's the deal with Brereton Diaz at Blackburn, is he still going to be available on a free this summer?

If he's happy to come in as a squad player that could be a good pick up, as he's pretty versatile and has shown a lot of promise this season.

He’s out of contract at the end of the season, but Blackburn have the option of extending by a year, so a fee would need to be paid.

3 minutes ago, Nine said:

But wouldnt you say £150k for him is to much? A big risk for sure. I remember him being highly rated in Germany and kept up with him until last season when he just seemed to fade out completely. 

It’s the player more than the wages.  Abraham would surely demand something in that region but you would be very confident he would score 10-15 goals at a minimum in the PL. 

4 minutes ago, Nine said:

But wouldnt you say £150k for him is to much? A big risk for sure. I remember him being highly rated in Germany and kept up with him until last season when he just seemed to fade out completely. 

That initial big season he had in Germany he looked amazing, and seemed like he was going to be a heck of a prospect. Such a top class finisher.

Haven't been at all impressed with Real Madrid's handling of him, and I think he could be a steal as he will surely be available. 

I just think at Real he was never going to really get a fair chance, with being so young, and with the likes of Ronaldo and Benzema in ahead of him.

Think he'd be a very shrewd pick up, and it might be that with how his career has gone lately, that he will take a lower wage than what he was on at Real Madrid.

9 minutes ago, Nine said:

I posted his stats the other day- something like 7 goals in 68 appearances over the last three years. Plus off-field disciplinary matters and personal problems it seems- one to avoid I reckon. 

11 minutes ago, KaKa said:

Palace did really well with both Eze and Olise.

A lot of younger talent get more of an opportunity to play in the Championship and so yeah, you can definitely get some gems from there.

I like the striker at Luton as well, Elijah Adebayo, another one that has had a bit of a breakout season.

Just googled him, his full name is Elijah Anuoluwapo Oluwaferanmi Oluwatomi Oluwalana Ayomikulehin Adebayo. If we signed him he must have the longest name in our history.

4 minutes ago, Manxst said:

I posted his stats the other day- something like 7 goals in 68 appearances over the last three years. Plus off-field disciplinary matters and personal problems it seems- one to avoid I reckon. 

Luka Jovic? Urgh ... not as concerned with the lack of goals because he's been so unsettled and has been mucked about a fair bit IMO. But any hint of off the field dramas, then should probably be avoided.

5 minutes ago, Ronson333 said:

Just googled him, his full name is Elijah Anuoluwapo Oluwaferanmi Oluwatomi Oluwalana Ayomikulehin Adebayo. If we signed him he must have the longest name in our history.

Probably ;D

He does look a really good prospect though. Tall, rangy striker, but lots of pace and a cool finisher.

Just now, TheInfiniteOdyssey said:

Ornstein is reporting that West Ham have opened talks with Hull about signing Keane Lewis-Potter for around £18m.

Another great looking youngster in the Championship. Very sharp move by West ham if true.

11 minutes ago, Manxst said:

Slightly off topic, but I just remembered that Man Utd supposedly wanted £12m off us if we stayed up as part of the Lingaard loan deal…..lol! Money pay out well dodged.

Aye turned out nicely in the end. Fraser was shit hot throughout February/early-March and we’ve we’ve managed to get by nicely with Almiron and even Murphy with a goal and assist in the last 2 games. We’ll surely be aiming higher than him in the summer.

5 minutes ago, KaKa said:

Luka Jovic? Urgh ... not as concerned with the lack of goals because he's been so unsettled and has been mucked about a fair bit IMO. But any hint of off the field dramas, then should probably be avoided.

On 18 March 2020, amid the COVID-19 pandemic, Jović broke Serbia's self-isolation protocol by flying from Madrid to Belgrade to attend Milošević's (his model partner) birthday party, drawing criticism from Prime Minister of Serbia Ana Brnabić herself and facing possible charges. There was also an issue about him throwing a party in Spain when he was out injured, and he upset Real after he was seen on social media running about and jumping in the pool etc. 

as well as this, he’s just not cut out to be a lone striker- his best play has been at Frankfurt and Serbia where he’s had another striker alongside him. He hasn’t got the ability to do it by himself, in the system we seem to be playing. With someone alongside him, I think he’d be worth a gamble. Seems quite reserved and lacking in general self confidence too, which has been picked up on by the media before- again, maybe just not the right personality for our centre forward, and what it entails.

1 hour ago, Nine said:

That specific player has a contract until 2025, he likely wont be leaving for any less money than hes already on until his contract expires.. unless hes really motivated to try and revive his career which I doubt as he would have left Madrid a year ago if that was the case. You're right though, he will most likely drop down when he does leave but there are also plenty of examples of flops at that sort of age moving to clubs and remaining on big wages still.  Also I wasnt saying that he'd get a wage rise anywhere at this point, would be mental if he did. 

Then we leave him well alone. We want players that justify a pay rise, not players that have failed to justify their last one.

13 minutes ago, Manxst said:

On 18 March 2020, amid the COVID-19 pandemic, Jović broke Serbia's self-isolation protocol by flying from Madrid to Belgrade to attend Milošević's (his model partner) birthday party, drawing criticism from Prime Minister of Serbia Ana Brnabić herself and facing possible charges. There was also an issue about him throwing a party in Spain when he was out injured, and he upset Real after he was seen on social media running about and jumping in the pool etc. 

as well as this, he’s just not cut out to be a lone striker- his best play has been at Frankfurt and Serbia where he’s had another striker alongside him. He hasn’t got the ability to do it by himself, in the system we seem to be playing. With someone alongside him, I think he’d be worth a gamble. Seems quite reserved and lacking in general self confidence too, which has been picked up on by the media before- again, maybe just not the right personality for our centre forward, and what it entails.

Yikes ... not good. But at the same time, he may just be so unfocused because he isn't really being counted on, and so has lost motivation. Tough to know really. It's a shame because I really love his ability.

Regarding needing a partner upfront, you're probably right, and if Howe reverts to his preferred system going into next season, then that would work well. Howe always  preferred two upfront, with one striker that drops deep and another that looks to get in behind.

How old is jwp? Feels like he's been around forever so assumed he was 32 already and blimey he's only 27? I would take him as squad player but not as a guaranteed starter and no chance he would be happy with that in his prime years

Just now, Super Duper Branko Strupar said:

He's absolutely got a good eye for a pass and has a good shot on him. Very good technically in that regard obviously, along with free kicks and crosses. I feel like we've already got a better version of JWP in Bruno, though. 

This. Apart from the odd extra few goals, I can’t see what JWP would bring to the team that we don’t already possess (good player that he is)? He’s like Shelvey in my eyes- good for a pass and free kick, but not particularly mobile, defensively sound, or physically/athletically  imposing.