Realistic Transfer Targets (2023/24)

joeyt

5 hours ago, HaydnNUFC said:

Housemate at uni is a Chelsea fan, he fucking hates Werner. Given he watches far more Chelsea than me, its a no from me.

Your housemate lives with you though, so, gotta question his judgment? :bluestar:

(*lol, kidding, I’m just being a n*bhead!)

26 minutes ago, LionOfGosforth said:

I'd love to think the likes of Badiashile/Botman, Paqueta/Phillips, Osimhen/Nunez are realistic but I haven't a clue. Quite honestly, whatever the club decides to do, alongside EH's input, and we grow steadily, i'd be thrilled with that.

It's absolutely fantastic having a manager that you can trust to get the most out of players, and continuously improve them. It makes buying players so much less of a risk to some extent. Just knowing that players will be coming in is enough for me, and it will be easy to get behind whatever signings Howe ultimately decides on.

Pogba didn't have all these issues at Juventus for 4 years did he? Recall none of it there. He always seems to do very well for France, even during his poorer spell at Man Utd.

Man Utd has been a toxic mess for him and many players there. I think he's being unfairly judged, maybe because it's been more noticeable he's struggled or been unhappy with how things have gone. But there's loads of others like Rashford, Lingard, Mata, Matic, Martial etc. that have all failed to deliver and hit their potential or been frozen out, perhaps they come across less frustrated. Unless I'm missing something specific about Pogba being toxic himself?

I do think it could be a deal and could work, but that guy is super talented and if used right and happy would be bossing it for a few years here.

Id agree a deal for him moving back to Italy or to France would probably be best and more likely, but "fuck Pogba" and "he's a cunt" type of comments is hyperbolic to me.

Howe has got our laziest or frozen out players thriving. Shelvey and Fraser were hangers on doing bare minimising under Bruce. I think he could turn Pogba in to a happy and top player for us, although I suspect Pogba will want to go somewhere already challenging for honours.

By his own admission he’s talked about issues with depression when managed by Mourinho but obviously that was a particularly toxic environment for him that was down to Mourinho being a twat. However, I don’t think as a player he comes across as incredibly mentally strong. His performances fluctuate a lot for someone with so much talent. I think he could be a success at a lot of clubs under the right management and with the right players but it’s definitely not a given

Nick Pope anyone? If Burnley go down he'd be available for certain if he wants a chance of going to the World Cup. Solid keeper, Prem experience, England squad player and 3yrs younger than Dubravka.

20 hours ago, TheInfiniteOdyssey said:

From what I’ve seen of him, I don’t think Werner’s qualities translate well to the Premier League and he’d be better in another league.

Seems like he's playing a lot better lately and I think he'd be great in a slightly less good team where there's more space in behind

37 minutes ago, gbandit said:

By his own admission he’s talked about issues with depression when managed by Mourinho but obviously that was a particularly toxic environment for him that was down to Mourinho being a twat. However, I don’t think as a player he comes across as incredibly mentally strong. His performances fluctuate a lot for someone with so much talent. I think he could be a success at a lot of clubs under the right management and with the right players but it’s definitely not a given

He was fucking boss at Juventus like. Who at Man Utd has been a consistent performer? - feels like nobody in the post Fergie era.

I mean, Mourinho has burned bridges with a lot of players, even his last stint at Chelsea post winning the league in his first season all turned on him and massively under performed.

I think many players have mental health issues, probably less admit it or talk about it - so I'm not going to pin that on him as a failing or risk. Mentally strong is difficult to gauge but get the point. I can't imagine under Howe him having issues. The guys a world cup winner, he seems mentally strong internationally and in the biggest tournament ever. He's won multiple league titles and cups. Not aimed at you, but I think his Man Utd career has gone toxic, like many players there, he has under achieved and it's been called out by your Keane's and Souness's so many times it's starting stick for some that he's no longer a good player. Like I say, who is top regular performer at Man Utd? the whole lot can be amazing against anyone on their day, but never consistently like they are capable of.

32 minutes ago, Ed210 said:

Would rather keep Shelvey than have Pogba and I really don’t like Shelvey 

I mean, why? like seriously, look at what Pogba has achieved his in career vs. Shelvey and you want Shelvey over him if you had the choice? purely based on Howe getting him to finally be fitter and turn up a bit more?

32 minutes ago, triggs said:

Seems like he's playing a lot better lately and I think he'd be great in a slightly less good team where there's more space in behind

Werner is a weird one - he was fucking perfect in Bundesliga. Pace on the counter was deadly so was his finishing. Over here he hasn't been able to be as calm in front of goal, but he definitely has done great up until the finish many times at Chelsea. His pace definitely hurting teams he plays against. Recently he's started getting goals or being key in ones others scored in big games, so maybe he's just needed that extra time to adapt. Chelsea are a funny club, even Lukaku just isn't striking as much as you would expect him to. They seem to get goals from a range of players in midfield and defence to compensate.

Whatever players we decide to sign I hope that we go for players with great technical ability and football IQ as well as the right characters. Bruno is just THE example of this. 

Edited by Ikon

Just thinking of a list of potential targets we can perhaps look at:

Defence

Matt Targett - Seems a deal has already been agreed for around £15m

Aaron Hickey - Mentioned by various sources as a viable target this summer for around £15m. One of the best young full-backs in Europe and has played more minutes than any other teenager in Europe's top five leagues this season. 

Tagliafico - Much to his public disappointment, was unable to agree a move to Barcelona in January, will definitely leave Ajax this summer for likely a low fee. One year left on contract.

Grimaldo - One year left on current contract at Benfica. Highly-regarded as one of the best left-backs in Europe.

Joe Gomez - Out of the picture at Liverpool, Liverpool would absolutely rinse us for a big fee if they look to sell though.

Bremer - Credited with interest earlier this season, looks a top defender.

Saliba - Arteta doesn’t seem interested in giving him a chance at Arsenal.

Midfield

Paqueta - Mentioned by various journalists as a viable target. Obvious link to Bruno. 

Lingard - Free transfer, very close to joining in January. Personally think he’ll end up at Roma under Jose.

Leandro Paredes - One year left on current contract and been told he can leave by PSG.

Bissouma - One year left on current contract which limits Brighton’s chances of extracting a big fee.

Aouar- One year left on current contract, Lyon very unlikely to get European football and will need to sell players this summer.

Brennan Johnson - Looks an extremely exciting talent, any potential deal would hinge on Forest not being promoted.

Keane Lewis-Potter - Wildcard option, but 11 goals for a poor Hull side as a young wide forward is decent. Could perhaps replicate Bowen’s success at West Ham. 

Striker

Luka Jovic - Arrived at Madrid as one of the most exciting forward talents in Europe. Barely played during his time and certain to leave following Mbappe’s impending arrival. Would be a big fee however.

Moussa Dembele - A year left on current deal. 17 goals for Lyon this season and for reasons outlined earlier, you’d imagine Lyon will need to sell assets this summer.

Ivan Toney - Incredible career turnaround after we let him go. Impressive goalscoring record at Brentford and has won the most aerial duels of any striker in the league. Dynamic presence, offering an aerial threat as well as an option behind the line. Difficult to see him coming back.

Hugo Ekitike - Turned us down in January, but could go back in for him this summer when he’d have more time to settle. Would be a big risk to rely on him adapting quickly for goals if Wilson gets injured again.

Gianluca Scamacca - Leaving Sassuolo this summer, regarded as one of Italy’s best young attacking talents. 13 goals this season in the league, Inter are favourites to sign him, but much will depend on situations surrounding Dybala and Martinez.

In a scenario where we decide not to pursue a top quality goalkeeper but still need to sign someone experienced for back up, to replace Darlow....

Fraser Forster or Tim Krul homecoming or Ben Forster, just for the Fozcast.