Kieran Trippier: targeting return for Brighton (h) (Hope)

Yorkie

He came in when we were on our arses, and helped us get to the UCL. Will always be a legend in my eyes.

His house was burgled while on England duty. Burglaries can be traumatising , particularly for families with young children, and his form dipped immediately afterwards. If this is the best move for him and his family, I cannot begrudge it. 

2 hours ago, christ said:

This is the kind of ruthless deal you have to do under FFP unfortunately. Move on an asset at the peak of its value to reinvest.

Of the ‘purple’ players, Trippier is arguably the easiest to lose. That’s not denigrating him as a footballer, because he’s one of the best full backs in Europe, but he’s 33 and we have a readymade replacement in Liveamento who we can’t justify keeping benched. If Botman, Bruno or Isak go on the otherhand we’re absolutely fucked.

Gutted if it turns out to be true, but I can see the rationale.

Depends if there's any sort of reasonable recompense for us in it. People who are throwing around figures of £20m are going to be sorely disappointed. Not even Chelsea would pay that for a 33 year old.

This most likely was here already, but anyway

Florian Plettenberg

@Plettigoal

Excl. News #Trippier: Verbal agreement between FC Bayern & Trippier has been reached now! The 33 y/o keen to join Bayern immediately Bayern and Newcastle in contact. Chr. Freund still prefers a loan deal with Mukiele, but he’s preparing for the possibility that the deal might fail. Trippier is standing by as a new Plan B.

I think if we get a decent fee he is off. He seems to want to join, we already have a replacement and FFP-wise it makes sense.

Just now, TRon said:

Depends if there's any sort of reasonable recompense for us in it. People who are throwing around figures of £20m are going to be sorely disappointed. Not even Chelsea would pay that for a 33 year old.

Also depends on how long his initial contract was for....if it was 2 years than anything over £6m will show as profit, and will be helpful on paper. On the pitch the other hand...:anguish:

1 hour ago, duo said:

Biggest leader in our squad - what price can you put on that?

Not only the biggest leader, but also still a fantastic footballer. Make no mistake we are going to be a worse side for him leaving, but I can understand why we have to do it if we get a decent fee. It seems he wants to be away so we just have to make sure we the money makes it sting less.

4 minutes ago, TRon said:

If he his pushing for a move then it’s best he leaves imo.

Just now, Jordan said:

This is stupid from us if we sell. Fuck FFP man, bent system put in place to protect the big clubs. 

I doubt that this is FFP.  There’s been rumours circulating about Trippier for a while; besides, Bayern are one of the world’s biggest clubs.   He can hardly be blamed for being interested in the move.  

1 minute ago, Lush Vlad said:

Who’s taking the set pieces now then? Longstaff? Gordon?

Would probably be Longstaff. He did stick one on Botman’s forehead at Liverpool.

1 minute ago, TheBrownBottle said:

Someone wants to tell Bayern they’re bidding for a player who isn’t interested.  That would be embarrassing 

Aye, they have clearly been given encouragement from Trippier.

1 minute ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

Would be disastrous for us and we shouldn’t give it a second thought unless he’s literally begging to leave. 

A big presence behind the scenes, but we seem to have a few.

It'd be a blow, but we'd be fine.

1 minute ago, SteV said:

Would probably be Longstaff. He did stick one on Botman’s forehead at Liverpool.

He laced a corner to Botman. Who nobody wanted to challenge for a header, aye. 

Considering our gameplan consists of free kicks into the box from the halfway line onwards. And we don’t really have anyone decent after Trippier at taking set pieces, bar maybe Targett. It is a bit of a concern. 

You know. Along with losing everything else Trippier brings to the team, as well. 

1 minute ago, Lush Vlad said:

He laced a corner to Botman. Who nobody wanted to challenge for a header, aye. 

Considering our gameplan consists of free kicks into the box from the halfway line onwards. And we don’t really have anyone decent after Trippier at taking set pieces, bar maybe Targett. It is a bit of a concern. 

You know. Along with losing everything else Trippier brings to the team, as well. 

I’m perfectly ok with a game plan which hasn’t been working changing tbh

1 minute ago, TheBrownBottle said:

I’m perfectly ok with a game plan which hasn’t been working changing tbh

I wouldn’t mind it changing either. Not sure Howe is going to do that mid-season should Trippier leave. Been doing it pretty much since he started managing us. 

Would just mean we have someone doing the same. But with a worse delivery. 

Edited by Lush Vlad

Selling him this window while we’ve been briefed numerous times we’re at the limits of ffp, will likely sell one of bigger players in the future (probably Bruno) and we can’t even afford a loan deal is horrendous for morale and the outward message on the direction of the club. It’s going to be really hard to spin that as a positive.