Kieran Trippier: targeting return for Brighton (h) (Hope)

Yorkie

1 minute ago, Smal said:

he put one right on Schar’s head and Schar hit it straight at Ramsdale tbf.

I don’t know what world people live in where every corner is dangerous. Literally like 3% are scored or something.

We do get a lot of set pieces but Trippier's literally one of the best in the league at creating chances. It seems like that's already being taken for granted a bit when it doesn't happen.

4 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

We do get a lot of set pieces but Trippier's literally one of the best in the league at creating chances. It seems like that's already being taken for granted a bit when it doesn't happen.

Schar missed a header from 3 yards out today, Botman missed one last week. We miss loads of easy headers but Trips gets the flack because sometimes he doesn’t get past the first man.

Botman doesn’t have a goal this season despite us (I’m fairly sure) having the highest xG from set pieces in the league.

Feel like one of the biggest let downs from a goalscoring perspective has been Botman and Schar from set pieces (Burn too, tbf).

We've got 3 big centre backs in there and not one of them has scored from a set piece. This can't be entirely down to Trippier.

1 minute ago, ponsaelius said:

Feel like one of the biggest let downs from a goalscoring perspective has been Botman and Schar from set pieces (Burn too, tbf).

We've got 3 big centre backs in there and not one of them has scored from a set piece. This can't be entirely down to Trippier.

Burn is terrible at heading a ball 

6 minutes ago, Smal said:

Schar missed a header from 3 yards out today, Botman missed one last week. We miss loads of easy headers but Trips gets the flack because sometimes he doesn’t get past the first man.

Botman doesn’t have a goal this season despite us (I’m fairly sure) having the highest xG from set pieces in the league.

Exactly. Burn's the big one for me, I know that he's aware of it but he's useless at headers in an attacking sense. He probably should have had 4 or 5 this season, easily.

Hitting the first man is overplayed as a thing that people get annoyed about. Any pro footballer can beat the first man and put a ball in the box, if they take a bit of pace and direction off it. Doesn't mean it will be threatening once it gets in there. We saw that for years with Pardew set pieces. 

To get the pace and direction needed to be a real threat at this level you will always risk hitting the first defender. 

As much as Trippier has annoyed me a bit his chance creation is really high. I think our CBs have been a let down in an attacking sense.

It's not all Trippier but he definitely delivers lots of balls in that are just never getting converted. There was at least two today which were genuinely just bad balls in.  Really frustrating on days like today where we're having to work so hard to create chances.

I'd mainly like to see more of the inventive ones like that short corner that then went left us with a completely free attempt. Obviously there's a lot of bodies to get such a shot through but the chaos alone is handy.

I guess the flip side is that if they become more frequent they're not going to be as inventive and likely to catch the opponent off-guard. But what we're doing already isn't exactly getting any joy anyway.

15 minutes ago, ponsaelius said:

Hitting the first man is overplayed as a thing that people get annoyed about. Any pro footballer can beat the first man and put a ball in the box, if they take a bit of pace and direction off it. Doesn't mean it will be threatening once it gets in there. We saw that for years with Pardew set pieces. 

To get the pace and direction needed to be a real threat at this level you will always risk hitting the first defender. 

As much as Trippier has annoyed me a bit his chance creation is really high. I think our CBs have been a let down in an attacking sense.

Robert either hit the first man or put an absolute peach in

27 minutes ago, ponsaelius said:

Yes, I went into this season expecting one of our core threats to be set piece headers, and it's incredibly far from being the case. To some extent it's a coaching choice - we clearly like our routines such as back post header across - but also our players lack real menace and conviction. The only one I can think of who does have it is Lascelles and he isn't on the pitch.

24 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

Exactly. Burn's the big one for me, I know that he's aware of it but he's useless at headers in an attacking sense. He probably should have had 4 or 5 this season, easily.

I'd actually say it's Botman who is the disappointment really. I'd priced in Burn being useless because we were told that before he joined and he's not powerfully built in a classic sense. But part of the reason he should have had 4 or 5 is that he's clearly been nominated as our best hope for offensive headers, which says bad things about Botman and co... Or the judgement of our set piece coaches, but I'll give them the benefit of the doubt.

Edited by 80

1 minute ago, Sempiternal said:

Lascelles definitely would have bagged a couple of Trips free kicks. 

His equaliser against Everton last year was a classic example of determination in action 

Wouldn't know where to start looking but I'd be interested to see some stats as far as the ratio of quality chances created from his set pieces. Really does feel like we see a fair amount of threatening balls that get wasted by the recipients.

Mix that in with my baseless assumption that we must get a high number of set pieces compared to most other teams? And it makes me wonder whether we focus on the duds, that by law of averages every team will have in a game, because we don't think so much about the good ones that weren't converted. 

Sigh...

image.thumb.png.1427be8fbd65cad262d8e357c0c20c54.png

This is completed deal ball passes which directly lead to a shot. That's 83 shots directly from Trippier set-piece deliveries. Way more than anyone else in the league.

The deliveries are not the issue. He's literally been delivering more than anyone in the league. If you're expecting perfection all the time you're absolutely mad.

edit: he also has 10.7 xAG; 3rd highest in the league behind KdB and Bruno F, but he only has 6 assists from it. This tells you how badly the people he's creating for are underperforming.

Edited by Smal

There has to be a way to make them more effective on set pieces....like...bundle Schar, Botman, Burn, Longstaff, Joelinton & Isak together so no opposition player can come in between them and have them rotating in a big circle like a carousel and explode into different areas as the ball is played? :lol:

We have to be the tallest team in the league, and probably one of the worst on set pieces?

16 minutes ago, Conjo said:

There has to be a way to make them more effective on set pieces....like...bundle Schar, Botman, Burn, Longstaff, Joelinton & Isak together so no opposition player can come in between them and have them rotating in a big circle like a carousel and explode into different areas as the ball is played? :lol:

We have to be the tallest team in the league, and probably one of the worst on set pieces?

:lol: I need to see this at least once in my life. 

2 hours ago, ponsaelius said:

Feel like I mention it at every match, I don't understand how we win everything in the air all over the pitch, but when it comes to corners it just doesn't happen.

You can blame some of it on delivery obviously but I'm fairly certain we should be getting more proper powerful headed goals from our beast of a team :lol:

Edited by Wilson

5 hours ago, ponsaelius said:

Aye this was what Robert and Solano were so good at. Their technique was that it'd either not go high enough, or it'd just be the perfect whip where it was too high for the first man, too fast for the keeper to collect and was perfect to attack. No coincidence O'Brien, Dabizas, Shearer, Speed would score 2-3 a season from set-pieces each. They could have sacrificed how dangerous corners were by floating them but that'd have been shit. 

Edited by Optimistic Nut

6 hours ago, Conjo said:

6 hours ago, wormy said:

:lol: I need to see this at least once in my life. 

The fuck are they doing this at Millwall away.....