Kieran Trippier: targeting return for Brighton (h) (Hope)

Yorkie

21 minutes ago, The Butcher said:

2,5 year deal, with the option of a an extra year, according to Downie. 

Sensible as fuck. 

Can’t be, I read on RTG he’s came for a long contract on mega money and we’re going to regret it. 

2 minutes ago, Collage said:

Cissé was exciting too. Came in the January window with a great reputation of scoring loads for Freiburg.

Aye, good shout. The business that summer was great in hindsight, but felt mostly opportunistic at the time, especially after the Carroll sale. Come Jan, the Cisse signing felt like the first (and subsequently only) real attempt to properly push on and show some ambition under Ashley.

Guest HTT II
5 minutes ago, Collage said:

Cissé was exciting too. Came in the January window with a great reputation of scoring loads for Freiburg.

He’s another I never heard of, but I was excited by the fee and the timing and of course the reaction on here and what a first few months he had…

21 minutes ago, Shearergol said:

Would we be as excited if we were signing him from Spurs? I can't remember how highly regarded he was on here before he went to Spain.

I think so, if anything it was weird that Spurs didn't try harder to hold onto him. 

2 minutes ago, Anderson said:

Aye, good shout. The business that summer was great in hindsight, but felt mostly opportunistic at the time, especially after the Carroll sale. Come Jan, the Cisse signing felt like the first (and subsequently only) real attempt to properly push on and show some ambition under Ashley.

Yeah, HBA, Cabaye and Cisse were all great signings, but I think the stars just aligned for us at a time when Carr was playing a blinder in the scouting role. Even Sissoko was stupidly cheap when he came in, they were all bought for value above all else.

That's why this is more significant, it really is a statement signing. It's saying NUFC are here, this is only the beginning. 

Just now, jackyboy said:

I could never understand why Spurs sold him

I doubt they really wanted to, would imagine he had his heart on going to Spain at the time. Levy probably thought I'll get as much as I can for a 28 yr old and buy someone under 25. Sound familiar?

Just now, joeyt said:

I tell you who I was unreasonably happy we signed at the time - Siem de Jong

I still reckon he'd have been class if he hadn't had his injuries. Remember him having a class pre-season after he signed and being excited.

In De Jong, Cabella and Riviere, we ruined our attack by filling it with a bunch of players who'd get knocked over by a strong wind even if they were standing behind each other in a row. Laughable transfer window, that one. Probably the worst of the ones where we actually signed players. We got Colback that summer as well, didn't we? :lol:

We've signed a few exciting players under Ashley but all our previous "big" signings have been about resale value. Ashley always wanted people he could resell for more.

This is different as it marks a genuine change in direction. In all likelihood Trippier will leave for £0, but the owners don't care. That's what makes this a truly exciting signing.

33 minutes ago, TRon said:

I doubt they really wanted to, would imagine he had his heart on going to Spain at the time. Levy probably thought I'll get as much as I can for a 28 yr old and buy someone under 25. Sound familiar?

No they did want to sell him. He was actually quite poor in his last season at Spurs, which it now transpires was because he was playing through an injury. And as you say, Levy probably saw value in selling a 28 year old.

Hi All.

New to the Boards. I used to post under the same name a few years ago on another forum.

Just received a screenshot of what looks to be Trippier on his way from Madrid to Newcastle.

Not figured out how to post a picture yet. But go on flight radar and type in flight No: AHO215B and you'll see for yourself.

Edited by BlazeT44