Kieran Trippier

Yorkie

13 minutes ago, FLUMPO235 said:

that’s odd as that isn’t my experience at all. Pl was really popular with most males I knew when I lived in Sydney for 10 years. Optus sport are currently getting massive viewing figures for PL games and I can’t see that’s in any way comparative to nba in Britain. 

Based on my 10 years living in Australia, I would compare the prem more to the champions league in terms of awareness than the nba. The prem league is more of a side sport to the Aussie sports. The biggest issue stopping more people watching was always the time difference. 

Optus don’t publish viewing figures - but they’ve got just under a million subscribers to Optus Sports.  But Optus also gives away Optus Sports for free many of its mobile phone deals, and it’s the equivalent of about £3.50 per month otherwise.  Even if every subscriber watched a game (which they won’t) it would be dwarfed by the AFL and NRL viewing figures.  

The PL isn’t popular in any meaningful sense - people are aware but that doesn’t mean that they’re sat watching it.  People often speak to people who share their own interests.  There’s no chance it could be considered popular generally - the high number of immigrants in Sydney helps the interest levels, but most Aussies I’ve met either in work or outside of it are aware of the PL, know who Man Utd and Liverpool are, but couldn’t hold more than a brief conversation about any details on the sport.  

Going to be laughs when he picks Maguire, Rashford, Henderson, Shaw, Trippier, James etc despite no form/fitness or owt because thats never been a disaster in the past for England managers. Suppose we should be grateful Phillips is out

1 minute ago, Fezzle said:

Going to be laughs when he picks Maguire, Rashford, Henderson, Shaw, Trippier, James etc despite no form/fitness or owt because thats never been a disaster in the past for England managers. Suppose we should be grateful Phillips is out

James doesn't go.

I don't think Shaw will go.

I think at least one of Rashford or Henderson goes. If Rashford goes it will be at the expense of Gordon imo.

If he's fit Maguire is a shoe-in.

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

James doesn't go.

I don't think Shaw will go.

I think at least one of Rashford or Henderson goes. If Rashford goes it will be at the expense of Gordon imo.

If he's fit Maguire is a shoe-in.

I learnt ages ago that second guessing Southgate was for fools

Edit: Actually only noticed Stones has played 111 mins since 10 March ffs, wouldnt even have got the last 21 without Ake getting injured. Going to be some rusty players on our plane

Edited by Fezzle

7 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

Optus don’t publish viewing figures - but they’ve got just under a million subscribers to Optus Sports.  But Optus also gives away Optus Sports for free many of its mobile phone deals, and it’s the equivalent of about £3.50 per month otherwise.  Even if every subscriber watched a game (which they won’t) it would be dwarfed by the AFL and NRL viewing figures.  

The PL isn’t popular in any meaningful sense - people are aware but that doesn’t mean that they’re sat watching it.  People often speak to people who share their own interests.  There’s no chance it could be considered popular generally - the high number of immigrants in Sydney helps the interest levels, but most Aussies I’ve met either in work or outside of it are aware of the PL, know who Man Utd and Liverpool are, but couldn’t hold more than a brief conversation about any details on the sport.  

We will have to accept we have different experiences. But to compare the prem league awareness in Australia to the NBA in Britain is one of the silliest things I have ever heard. 

Just now, FLUMPO235 said:

We will have to accept we have different experiences. But to compare the prem league awareness in Australia to the NBA in Britain is one of the silliest things I have ever heard. 

Yeah, it wasn’t a well-thought out simile tbh mate.  I agree - was trying to think of another sport which people are aware of players and teams but aren’t turning it on to actually watch it 

Just now, TheBrownBottle said:

Yeah, it wasn’t a well-thought out simile tbh mate.  I agree - was trying to think of another sport which people are aware of players and teams but aren’t turning it on to actually watch it 

Yeah sorry, not looking to argue. 

anyway, you get to live in Australia you lucky sausage! ;)

Just now, FLUMPO235 said:

Yeah sorry, not looking to argue. 

anyway, you get to live in Australia you lucky sausage! ;)

It’s a hard life :) - I miss Tyneside at this time of year, mind.  That feeling has usually disappeared by the start of October, though!

The daft thing is, he would benefit from more game time before the euros since he's been out ages and rusty AF.

Currently he's having a holiday and watching the euros from home like the rest of us.

Appreciate the player welfare angle and him being a leader he's not just trying to speak for himself here. However on the impact for him personally he already had a nice long rest through injury so hasnt had the 50 game season some will have and clearly from the performance he has offered at the mid week he needs minutes in his legs if he wants to play himself into any kind of form. 

TBF, playing late Sunday afternoon, then getting on plan at like 8pm for a 18 hour flight to Australia, to land at what, 12am Tuesday? Then get to hotel, adjust, light training on Tuesday PM seeing a proper cool down not been yet since Sunday, to then play next day in the evening. Then cool down on Thursday before getting plan back late afternoon/evening and being back home like Saturday morning?

Not ideal for trying to avoid a muscle injury. 

32 minutes ago, Groundhog63 said:

I've never had jet lag ever. Either direction. 

Then again I'm not an athlete, can kip when tf I like and drink like a fish. 

Piece of piss 

Was having this discussion with someone the other day. Genuinely never had jet lag in my life.

Posted (edited)

Only had jet lag the first time I went to Canada. When I came back I was wiped out for about a week. 

But now I just imagine myself into the new timezone as soon as I get on the plane, and power through until the new bed time. 

I'm not a professional athlete like, and my routine is not that concrete as it it. 

Edited by AyeDubbleYoo

Jet lag for me is usually there at the back end of the travel, especially if it's been a long flight, but a decent night's sleep and it's gone the next day.

You’re all harder bastards than me.  Travelling against the clock (UK to Australia) is knackering.  Melbourne is only nine hours different at the moment (half the year it’s eleven hours) but jet leg impacts everyone.  Some can cope with it better than others.

1 hour ago, Sibierski said:

TBF, playing late Sunday afternoon, then getting on plan at like 8pm for a 18 hour flight to Australia, to land at what, 12am Tuesday? Then get to hotel, adjust, light training on Tuesday PM seeing a proper cool down not been yet since Sunday, to then play next day in the evening. Then cool down on Thursday before getting plan back late afternoon/evening and being back home like Saturday morning?

Not ideal for trying to avoid a muscle injury. 

18 hours and the rest - there’s no direct flight from London to Melbourne even for wealthy footballers.  It’s closer to a day’s flight. 

Must be tough for players earning so much money despite not working that many hours and also having to travel luxury style having it all served and organised :lol: 

The club isn’t doing this for the sake of it. Players wages are like 70-80% of the “company’s” turnover more or less. 

Maybees I don't get it because I don't kip. Can't kip. 

Been to Australia twice, Canada, US, Thailand twice, no bother. 

Brother used to graft for BA and I had 1st class from Singapore to Perth then again all the way back. Had us business class on one of the Thailand trips. 

Obvs totally different to travelling with the scum class but I'm happy there as well. 

Having said that we flew Emerites to Sydney for her 50th and that was decent as well. She doesn't drink so I was getting a wine for her and necking her's as well. I was well done in when we landed. Also convinced we were landing when they were messing about with the landing gear but we still had 2 hours to do. 

Footballers on £100k a week need to try grafting for a living ? ????? spoilt bastards

52 minutes ago, Ikon said:

Must be tough for players earning so much money despite not working that many hours and also having to travel luxury style having it all served and organised :lol: 

The club isn’t doing this for the sake of it. Players wages are like 70-80% of the “company’s” turnover more or less. 

For me, it’s more protecting the players from unnecessary injuries. We’ve had a woeful season for injuries, and what do we do, piss off to other side of world straight after last game of season to play again 3 days later :D 

Does anyone think that it was non coincidental that Howe came out with his interview about going to Australia within 48 hours of Trippier's comments. He doesn't usually do NUFCtv interviews apart from post match and obviously the press conferences. 

Posted (edited)
40 minutes ago, et tu brute said:

Does anyone think that it was non coincidental that Howe came out with his interview about going to Australia within 48 hours of Trippier's comments. He doesn't usually do NUFCtv interviews apart from post match and obviously the press conferences. 

Yes, I'm sure it was a coincidence. He's already been doing promotional stuff for Australian TV (an interview in which, as I recall, he made noises to the effect that travelling out there immediately after the season finished wasn't ideal...).

Edited by 80

50 minutes ago, 80 said:

Yes, I'm sure it was a coincidence. He's already been doing promotional stuff for Australian TV (an interview in which, as I recall, he made noises to the effect that travelling out there immediately after the season finished wasn't ideal...).

I take your word for that as never seen them. Still seems funny to me though that he does a positive interview about the trip on our own tv channel, 48 hours after the Trippier one. I am aware his thoughts on the trip when it was first announced and he didn't see too keen. Maybe he's been asked by the owners to do this video going over the positive aspects of the trip. I'll admit I could be going on a wild one, but just seems a bit to non coincidental to me.

5 hours ago, Sibierski said:

For me, it’s more protecting the players from unnecessary injuries. We’ve had a woeful season for injuries, and what do we do, piss off to other side of world straight after last game of season to play again 3 days later :D 

What do you suggest they do?  Have a game of chess at someone's house?  They are PROFESSIONAL players ffs.  This is their job, playing football.  The jammy bastards!