Kieran Trippier

Yorkie

Just now, Smal said:

the captaincy thing is so strange. This guy is a leader, Bruno isn’t there yet.

Someone mentioned in the pub watching the game if Brunos iffy start to the season is down to the armband ?

Just now, madras said:

Someone mentioned in the pub watching the game if Brunos iffy start to the season is down to the armband ?

Thought the same too but Bruno is probably still finding his feet after the summer of football he had and coming back again from internationaal duties.

1 minute ago, madras said:

I’d say a combination of a poor pre season and then international break. No rhythm and needs to get fit and lose some of that kinder weight.

1 minute ago, LFEE said:

I’d say a combination of a poor pre season and then international break. No rhythm and needs to get fit and lose some of that kinder weight.

I'm sure some of that kinder weight and not being so ripped is how he can play every game without pulls and strains.

4 minutes ago, Smal said:

the captaincy thing is so strange. This guy is a leader, Bruno isn’t there yet.

You can hear him shout 'Time' on numerous occasions to Murphy. When we need to break a team down like today, he is a great option to Tino. Otherwise, we are too predictable going down the left. 

There was a moment when we were already level and he had the ball and he just signalled to everyone to get up the field and attack. He just oozes a very strong winning mentality. So glad we still can see him do stuff like that for us instead of for Everton or West Ham.

2 hours ago, nufcjb said:

There was a moment when we were already level and he had the ball and he just signalled to everyone to get up the field and attack. He just oozes a very strong winning mentality. So glad we still can see him do stuff like that for us instead of for Everton or West Ham.

Feel like you and I see football so similarly on the pitch mate; felt the same way. 

I think you can’t play both Hall and Tino yet, you have to play one or the other. I’d play Trippier at RB more often than not. 

Re. The captaincy - I think there's a few things at play there. Trippier is in the latter stages of his career and seemingly was being touted about for a decent amount of money that no one could or would cough up - thankfully, in my opinion.

He is invaluable as an experienced member of the squad and one of the select few that have actually won anything. He oozes quality and is of an age to really settle and communicate calmness to the rest of the team, a well rounded captain.

Where Trippier differs in terms of captaincy to someone like Bruno is that Trippier - I suspect - leads through communication primarily, as an organiser and a level head. Bruno on the other hand leads through his passion and his technical ability, setting an example through his play, not his communication.

What they share is charisma and character, hence being influential and thus choices for the captaincy. Trippier has age and experience on his side but that is something we won't be building around for the years to come. Trippier has almost served his purpose in the transition of NUFC.

Bruno on the other hand will need to be given TLC and managed to keep him here, and for us to build a team around, if we struggle to get CL football and/or silverware. Therefore, it makes sense to make him captain, and is not only safe but a small-scale demonstration that Howe is willing to make tough decisions and where we aspire the club to reach.

Edited by Heron

Wouldn't be necessarily be against seeing Tino playing RW with Trippier behind him in certain games. I know he's better at RB but if needs must and we're short in that problem position then just give him 30 mins there and see how it goes. Might just click, you never know? 

The captaincy aspect really isn't that perplexing. If Tino is being given a chance to run with it we quite literally need a captain in the match day XI. Trippier was only ever officially a vice captain due to Lascelles, as is Bruno now as far as I'm aware.

We don't lose anything by Trips not having the armband when he's on the pitch. He's a natural leader. Bruno might need some time to grow in to the role but it's one further thing that links him to the club and hopefully makes it harder for him to bail if one of the usual suspects come knocking for him.

23 minutes ago, midds said:

Wouldn't be necessarily be against seeing Tino playing RW with Trippier behind him in certain games. I know he's better at RB but if needs must and we're short in that problem position then just give him 30 mins there and see how it goes. Might just click, you never know? 

Bit surprised it hasn't already happened one or twice in the past.

I agree with all those saying the captaincy move isn't such a big deal. Re: Bruno, I think it's just something for him to grow into, hopefully over years to come. He's a bit like the Lewis Hall of captains - tonnes of natural talent and potential, but needs the time and space to make mistakes and mature.

1 hour ago, Heron said:

Re. The captaincy - I think there's a few things at play there. Trippier is in the latter stages of his career and seemingly was being touted about for a decent amount of money that no one could or would cough up - thankfully, in my opinion.

If he was touting himself around as he ideally no longer wants to be be here, as is widely reported, it's right he doesn't have it.

Edited by Super Duper Branko Strupar

Not sure starting him would make things much better at the moment, as his age and private life concerns are probably limiting him. But fuck me, our attacking play is really struggling to adapt to life without Trippier. Everything used to go through him, and it shows.

There are parts of games where we are showing some promise on this part, so I guess there's some hope with Willock, Barnes and Tonali coming in.

Edited by Erikse

The biggest difference Trippier makes when he's on form is that he pushes the entire team up the pitch. Livramento defends the final third, Trippier defends the halfway line, and aggressively too. 

10 hours ago, wormy said:

The captaincy aspect really isn't that perplexing. If Tino is being given a chance to run with it we quite literally need a captain in the match day XI. Trippier was only ever officially a vice captain due to Lascelles, as is Bruno now as far as I'm aware.

We don't lose anything by Trips not having the armband when he's on the pitch. He's a natural leader. Bruno might need some time to grow in to the role but it's one further thing that links him to the club and hopefully makes it harder for him to bail if one of the usual suspects come knocking for him.

Bruno is now “Team Captain”

The man from The Mail adding that Eddie Howe has created a new position of club captain’ for Jamaal Lascelles.

Lascelles had became a squad player and acting as cover, before then picking up that serious injury which he is still recovering from.

Meanwhile, Kieran Trippier will continue as the club’s vice-captain.

The Newcastle United senior leadership group is completed by Dan Burn, Callum Wilson and Jacob Murphy.