Sven Botman

The Prophet

Guest HTT II
4 minutes ago, madras said:

Family history has it John Gibson took me home when I got lost from my dad at my first league game. (Coventry,opening game 74/75. 7yrs old, dad stood middle of the Gallowgate and I needed the toilet "off you go then son", game ended, told a copper the situation, ended up in the old press box for PA announcement but the game had ended and my dad was wandering round town looking for me and building up the courage to ring home).

That would sound very dodgy in today’s world…

I know people who knew him well and say he was NUFC daft, always championed the club, while still staying impartial and critical, but always supportive and positive. I’ve met him once at a talk-in and he come across really well.

Guest HTT II

Oliver. I’ve heard loads of negative stuff about him. In FS’s pockets and leaked loads of negative shit about SBR and players from that era that should have remained private, basically doing FS’s dirty work. 

1 minute ago, HTT II said:

That would sound very dodgy in today’s world…

I know people who knew him well and say he was NUFC daft, always championed the club, while still staying impartial and critical, but always supportive and positive. I’ve met him once at a talk-in and he come across really well.

His "Newcastle United Story" basically a story of the Fairs Cup run, is probably my most read book.

Guest HTT II
Just now, madras said:

His "Newcastle United Story" basically a story of the Fairs Cup run, is probably my most read book.

I’ve no doubt read that, when we went up under KK the Chronicle and Pink did some extensive pull-out things and some of his stories were great, he used to write very opinionated columns in the Chronicle as opposed to Anal’s arse licking. There’s a decent interview he did with some others RE NE football from the 70s or maybe 80s, I’m sure Lawrie Mac was on it and maybe Clough?

1 hour ago, Coffee_Johnny said:

He was just a good old fashioned (not in a bad way…) sports journalist. He stands in my memory as a reassuring, and trusted voice from the past. Like an ITK uncle, who was actually ITK. 

Old fashioned probably the operative term. Local sports journos are just chained to their desks and expected to turn out clickbait shite nowadays. 

2 hours ago, Coffee_Johnny said:

He was just a good old fashioned (not in a bad way…) sports journalist. He stands in my memory as a reassuring, and trusted voice from the past. Like an ITK uncle, who was actually ITK. 

Sports journalism and the way clubs operate has just moved on. When Gibson, and to some extent Oliver, were in their reporting pomp there were no press officers and they'd be able to ring and speak to players and club officials directly. Now the traditional media are up against the clubs themselves who protect the players by punting out their own interviews and content.

It's not just sport, though. I know some people with 30+ years reporting experience who used to be able to ring up senior police officers, MPs and other public figures to check or get a comment on a story.

The recent reports indicate that he is on his way to Newcastle. Although he is a bit slow and not that comfortable on the ball, his character is unmatched. I also trust Maldini's judgment.

14 minutes ago, Mansour said:

The recent reports indicate that he is on his way to Newcastle. Although he is a bit slow and not that comfortable on the ball, his character is unmatched. I also trust Maldini's judgment.

Hopefully he isn’t running here.

28 minutes ago, Mansour said:

He’s pretty lucky not to have you as his agent. 

16 minutes ago, RS said:

He’s pretty lucky not to have you as his agent. 

I do not actually like his profile, said that a while ago. I was not trying to make him look good 😂 But it is also important to remind myself that I do not know much when it comes to assessing footballers. If Maldini wanted him at Milan, then I am sure that he is a brilliant center-back, I know that much.

52 minutes ago, Zero said:

Heard that we offered 55m and AC Milan cannot match this

I didn't think the agreement with Lille was the issue? We chucking more money at them to ask them to reject anyone else's offer?

2 hours ago, Mansour said:

A bit slow, possibly, but he looks quite decent on the ball for a CB.