Sven Botman

The Prophet

1 hour ago, Kanji said:

@Unbelievable is he really not within a shout of a full call up? This young lad has it all. 

He should be, but alas he’s not. Van Gaal doesn’t seem to rate him for whatever reason, and he’s also not the type to take kindly to Botman refusing to show up for some under 21 friendlies. We’re quite well-stocked at CB though, so I guess Sven will have to hope Koeman sees the evident potential when he takes over after the WC.

15 hours ago, Comegetasample said:

He's 22....

Disgustingly young for a CB.

Plays a much more mature game than his age would suggest, especially with being new to the league.

Exceptionally good signing.

1 hour ago, Kanji said:

Botman - Virgil - De Ligt after WC?

As it stands De Ligt is not a starter either. It looks like VG wants to play with a back 3/5, with Ake - Virgil- Timmer first choice. De Vrij is probably even a more probable stand in atm than De Ligt. If Botman is going to displace anyone soon it’s either De Vrij or De Ligt, unless Koeman has other ideas such as going back to a back four with Ake as left back.

2 hours ago, Unbelievable said:

He should be, but alas he’s not. Van Gaal doesn’t seem to rate him for whatever reason, and he’s also not the type to take kindly to Botman refusing to show up for some under 21 friendlies. We’re quite well-stocked at CB though, so I guess Sven will have to hope Koeman sees the evident potential when he takes over after the WC.

Van Gaal might not rate him, but I saw Ten Haag pulled him up for a chat when they were coming off the pitch. It immediately raised my opinion of Ten Haag, which was already pretty high tbh. Man U seem to have a good one there.

1 minute ago, TRon said:

Van Gaal might not rate him, but I saw Ten Haag pulled him up for a chat when they were coming off the pitch. It immediately raised my opinion of Ten Haag, which was already pretty high tbh. Man U seem to have a good one there.

Aye, I noticed that. Important to remember Ten Hag was at Ajax when Botman left them for Lille. I suspect he may have come to regret that decision, and it looked indeed like Ten Hag complimented Botman for a very good game.

32 minutes ago, Unbelievable said:

As it stands De Ligt is not a starter either. It looks like VG wants to play with a back 3/5, with Ake - Virgil- Timmer first choice. De Vrij is probably even a more probable stand in atm than De Ligt. If Botman is going to displace anyone soon it’s either De Vrij or De Ligt, unless Koeman has other ideas such as going back to a back four with Ake as left back.

Timber really better than De Ligt and De Vrij?

Edited by Kanji

39 minutes ago, Unbelievable said:

No way back for Willems then ? 

:coolsmiley:

3 minutes ago, bowlingcrofty said:

Would love us to go for Tomori in a year or two to partner this guy once we decide to buy a new CB. Much more pressing matters to sort obviously, but that would be some CB pairing.

Tomori has been really shaky this season - if you want a CB then I would want Milan Škriniar

5 minutes ago, Kanji said:

Timber really better than De Ligt and De Vrij?

From what I’ve seen of him in the NL national team he works that wide role in a back three really well, like a right-sided Ake, with Van Dijk acting as the rock in the middle. De Ligt hasn’t really progressed in his time at Juventus, so I’d have the current back three over either him or De Vrij in this system. I think

going forward is an option for both Virgil’s or Ake’s position if Koeman persists with a back three.