Sven Botman

The Prophet

8 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

He's not the "dominant" type of defender - he's lowkey but great at what he does.

DCL has a tremendous leap. He was always going to win 1.

Too true. For context, we’re talking about Sven losing a single header… across the entire season so far! The man’s an ice cold killer of opposition attacks. All beautifully within the laws of the game too. No petty fouls or shirt pulls, just does what’s needed. Ronseal 

9 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

He’s pretty much pocketed Toney, Ronaldo and DCL in the last 3 games, big step up against Kane on Sunday mind.

Kane tends to play super deep, so probably more a challenge for Schar if he ends up stepping out like he likes to. Be interesting to see how our defence handles Son and Kane, rather than a 'proper' striker like Toney.

3 hours ago, JumpersForGoalposts said:

Kane tends to play super deep, so probably more a challenge for Schar if he ends up stepping out like he likes to. Be interesting to see how our defence handles Son and Kane, rather than a 'proper' striker like Toney.

I'm quietly confident they will not bother our backline. The tactics that conte employs aren't exactly attacking I wouldnt be surprised at a Nils each and pretty much an exact repeat of the manure game last Sunday 

5 hours ago, Hanshithispantz said:

What's the craic with Tottenham like.  They're nigh on suicidal on TheFightingCock but they're 3rd? [emoji38]

The Spurs lad on Loaded reckons their results aren't telling the full story and they're not all that good. The main complaint seems to also be that they're really boring to watch.

I just don't understand how Levy can be so clueless.

He's had Mourinho, Nuno and Conte all in a row. All more cynical defensive managers.

Meanwhile the real strength of this Tottenham team for a while now, has always been their players in the forward areas. And as good as they continue to be, one has to wonder what they would be like under a manager that was better with a more attacking approach.

Really think Spurs completely dropped the ball with Pochettino. Think they had found their manager for the long term and they never really got behind him. That guy took Spurs to a Champions League final with a team featuring Dele Alli as a major productive piece. Heck of an achievement.

Edited by KaKa

Re: the DCL header; when I watched it back, I'm pretty certain that even if he directed it on target there's no route to goal because Botman had positioned his head in the way. He'd done done enough without winning the ball by cutting out the route.

I’m sure that was the only time he lost out to DCL in the air in that game. Haven’t watched it again but I thought there was a couple of times. 
Anyway, hopefully he’ll learn what to do against a forward who jumps well, early and into him and adjusts. 
Am impressed with his communication with Schar regarding offsides. They seem to read each other pretty well.

The only thing you can do against a forward who dominates you in the air is to unbalance them.

You need perfect timing to hold your ground and then either ease off or push into them just before both of you jump.

We have 3 of the best centre backs in the league at the moment, in front of a top, top keeper. It's no coincidence we've got the best defensive record in the division. I love Targett, but you just can't argue against the back 3 of Schar, Botman, Burn with Trippier becoming almost a winger when we're in possession. 

Maxi or someone who can retain the ball on the left will add much balance too. 

It's so satisfying to see the table and see we've conceded the least in the league, gives me this feeling of 'come on then, score against us if you can', but having enough up front to score as well. 

Bit shaky in the last 10 mins against Man Utd, but they'd thrown their whole team into our half and we were playing for a point by then. 

Bit of a meandering post this, just happy to have probably what is our best defence I've ever seen at Newcastle, and that includes the first Keegan era and Woodgate. We've always had a 'calamity defender', someone who would be prone to a howler, from Bramble to Lascelles types, who on their day could be imperious but would cost us games with inexplicable decision making. 

Now we've just got 3 rocks who should all be starting for their countries.