More transfer rumours

midds

47 minutes ago, STM said:

Yeah the idea of a "10" has changed. I always knew a 10 as Bergkamp/Gudjohnsen/Rooney type. A striker but a one who often played with his back to goal or saw their game as creative.

At some point it changed to a midfielder who plays in an advanced creative player.

I don’t think so. You always had your Zidane’s and Rui Costa’s. 

I think in England and the 442 the ‘second striker’ had more responsibility to score goals and had to hold it up in the air so were ‘strikers’. 

4 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

Yes but I’m not a massive fan of that formation.  

The best team that play it in the PL are Arsenal and I think they’re a rigid and stodgy side. But that Odegaard & Saka combo is legitimately elite. Before them Man Utd used it well under Olebut they were super reliant on Bruno and a bit of magic. I think it’s a luxury position that places too much emphasis on that player. 

I look at the best managers in the league and they don’t play with a sole 10 in a 4-2-3-1.  Chelsea and Liverpool get creativity from wide and pressing. Liverpool have gotten more football ability from the 3 midfielders when that doesn’t work. Chelsea have 2 creators with a forward. City play with 7 creators. 

that’s why I’m so keen on Raphinha. He’s a genuine creator. He has the stats of one. But he plays wide.  He might actually be a natural 10 he’s just got the stamina and pace to play wide.  If we get Raph and a 10 - the 10 is just going to get in Raph’s way. 

If Raph is a natural 10 then we could play two 10s that can also exploit the width. Raph and Lingard, behind the striker. Backed up by a midfield trio, with natural width from the WBs

I really like this 433 and hope Eddie sticks with it. We just need better players.

I suspect he will move to 4231 but for this to happen signing a quality CM to play alongside Bruno will be vital and a quality number 10 to create chances.

1 minute ago, STM said:

I really like this 433 and hope Eddie sticks with it. We just need better players.

I suspect he will move to 4231 but for this to happen signing a quality CM to play alongside Bruno will be vital and a quality number 10 to create chances.

Oh aye. But if we had two players that can play either wide or inside it gives us flexibility.

13 hours ago, Chicane said:

We just spent £12m on the highest quality player we've signed in years

That's just the initial fee. Assumed to be doubled if we stay up. Trippier is also a short term fix. Older players cost less. We're building for the future in the summer.

If we can't find a "star" striker from abroad, which I think is going to be our hardest task in the summer, I would be happy to see us go for Toney.

Toney always looks an absolute nightmare to play against and has done really well goals wise in his first PL season.

Edit: Hadn't realised he was 26, thought he was 24. He's still scored 11 in 24, which pretty decent going. Reckon he would get a few more with Trippiers crosses.

Edited by STM

6 hours ago, ExiledGeordie said:

I think Lingard would be a great signing, he’d slot straight it and be a great option opposite ASM on the other side. That said if they’ve identified another younger option who can come in then great. I wouldn’t have any concerns over Lingard though, I’d be chuffed if he joined. Be a great player with experience to join as we look to push on in the next phase.

What you basing that on? A 6 month loan spell at West Ham which is now a year ago? He was literally a meme for Man Utd prior to that loan spell. He went forever without providing a goal or assist for them. He is now 30 and someone that a club like ours should be avoiding, unless of course he is willing to significantly reduce his wage demands etc. Signing him in January made sense given our desperation and precarious situation, it makes absolutely no sense to continue to pursue it in the summer IMHO.

Edited by Ghandis Flip-Flop

6 minutes ago, Ghandis Flip-Flop said:

What you basing that on? A 6 month loan spell at West Ham which is now a year ago? He was literally a meme for Man Utd prior to that loan spell. He went forever without providing a goal or assist for them. He is now 30 and someone that a club like ours should be avoiding, unless of course he is willing to significantly reduce his wage demands etc. Signing him in January made sense given our desperation and precarious situation, it makes absolutely no sense to continue to pursue it in the summer IMHO.

So we should stick with Murphy or Almiron?

Or are you one of these people that thinks we will buy 10 new players, all of which will be class and cost a fair bit of money?

You can't build a good side overnight. Every now and then you need pragmatic signings.

15 minutes ago, Ghandis Flip-Flop said:

It wasn't even a 6 month spell :lol: It was like 8 or 9 games, and he faded a lot at the end of his loan. 

9 minutes ago, STM said:

Or are you one of these people that thinks we will buy 10 new players, all of which will be class and cost a fair bit of money?

You can't build a good side overnight. Every now and then you need pragmatic signings.

We should get a young talented player in to compete with Fraser and ASM. Murphy and Almiron are ok as 4th and 5th choice unless we can move them on.

I take some confidence from the players we've targeted so far. I appreciate some of them were fed to us by agents but in going after Trippier, Bruno, Burn and even Targett we've seemed to understand the task at hand and what is required. 

Adding Dan Ashworth into the mix will further increase our expertise so I'm not worried.

23 hours ago, STM said:

Because that’s the only option like, is Lingard going to play for us for free? Or is he going to want a bumper contract due to it being his last pay day and him not having a fee? I also standby the fact that other than a singular loan spell he's not suggested he'd be a massive upgrade. I'm sure there are young players on the continent that we’re currently scouting, which will cost us less and improve the squad more.

11 minutes ago, Ghandis Flip-Flop said:

Because that’s the only option like, is Lingard going to play for us for free? Or is he going to want a bumper contract due to it being his last pay day and him not having a fee? I also standby the fact that other than a singular loan spell he's not suggested he'd be a massive upgrade. I'm sure there are young players on the continent that we’re currently scouting, which will cost us less and improve the squad more.

Doesn't even have to be players from the continent. Brennan Johnson f.ex is doing really well for Forest this season. Would prefer we tried to develop him into a star here rather than opting for proven mediocrity.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-10635879/Newcastle-draw-list-goalkeeper-targets-including-Kepa-Arrizabalaga-Dean-Henderson.html

Newcastle United have drawn up a list of goalkeeper targets for the summer that includes Chelsea's Kepa Arrizabalaga and Manchester United's Dean Henderson.

Number one Martin Dubravka has been one of the club's most consistent performers but Newcastle want increased competition across key areas ahead of next season as they build their new project.

Results under Eddie Howe in recent weeks mean they are on target to secure Premier League safety and they will hold a recruitment meeting at the end of this month to ascertain priority positions for the manager.

Work is already under way with Arrizabalaga and Henderson under consideration along with Arsenal's Bernd Leno and West Bromwich Albion's Sam Johnstone.

Newcastle will want to strengthen in midfield and attack too with the likes of Leeds' Kalvin Phillips, Yves Bissouma of Brighton, Bayer Leverkusen's Moussa Diaby and Brennan Johnson of Nottingham Forest among the other names being discussed next week.