More transfer rumours

midds

I know we're probably a fair amount of time away from this (hopefully not for Europa...) but we will surely struggle to have 4x homegrown players for European competitions? I think you need 4 to have been trained at your club before 21, don't you?

Have to get Harper to come out of retirement or something. Hopefully Anderson and White are decent enough for a squad place too.

1 hour ago, Chicken Dancer said:

I know we're probably a fair amount of time away from this (hopefully not for Europa...) but we will surely struggle to have 4x homegrown players for European competitions? I think you need 4 to have been trained at your club before 21, don't you?

Have to get Harper to come out of retirement or something. Hopefully Anderson and White are decent enough for a squad place too.

You don't have to, you just can't register 25 without 4 of them being club trained. So if you only have 3, you can only register 24, all the way down to 21 players if you don't have any. 

3 hours ago, Kid Icarus said:

Jamie Reuben liked a reply to it saying "Why are we still going for Kamara 😭😭😭" so I'm not sure about that one. 

Ugh. Kamara on a free (?) would be an absolute no brainer. He’s a fantastic cdm.

3 minutes ago, TRon said:

Cheers, didn't realise there was more than one tbf.

No probs at all. Seko is a DM who used to be owned by Man City. Wesley is more a CB who can play in DM I think. 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seko_Fofana

he’s been linked with us a fair bit:

https://www.getfootballnewsfrance.com/2022/newcastle-make-seko-fofana-their-top-summer-target/

When people say "X player must leave", I'd suggest doing your own 25 man squad in your head, especially when talking about Longstaff or Lascelles. I see us signing Targett + 6 at the absolute maximum. We can't afford to throw away serviceable squad players.

I understand the desire to assume we will just let 10 go and sign 10 new players but a) that's not going to happen and b) we shouldn't want it to happen.

Wholesale squad changes rarely work and Eddie has spent the last 5 months trying to get the group to believe in his philosophy.

We are much better off signing 4 really good players like Bruno and Tripper were, and then adding a couple of decent youngsters to compete for places.

Guest HTT II
7 minutes ago, STM said:

When people say "X player must leave", I'd suggest doing your own 25 man squad in your head, especially when talking about Longstaff or Lascelles. I see us signing Targett + 6 at the absolute maximum. We can't afford to throw away serviceable squad players.

I understand the desire to assume we will just let 10 go and sign 10 new players but a) that's not going to happen and b) we shouldn't want it to happen.

Wholesale squad changes rarely work and Eddie has spent the last 5 months trying to get the group to believe in his philosophy.

We are much better off signing 4 really good players like Bruno and Tripper were, and then adding a couple of decent youngsters to compete for places.

As much as I want most gone, it’s just not that realistic for many of the reasons you pointed out. 

Edited by HTT II

Guest HTT II

I also think 3-4 genuine top quality extra additions will be transformative in the way say Bellamy and Robert and then Woodgate were for us under Sir Bobby. 

I think alot of who we sign in the summer will depend massively on what formation Howe is looking at to move forward. If its 3 5 2 or 4 3 3 then some of the players we are looking at will differ and the amount of cover we'd want in certain positions would change.

Interesting times ahead, the media are going to have their hands full start of the transfer window.

1 minute ago, Lazarus said:

A FW, a RW, a DM and a CB for the 1st team would be the absolute minimum, and each for big bucks.

But theres also a bit of deadwood elsewhere in the squad too.

There was a lot of debate in January about priorities but I doubt many disagree with you there.

Once those places are secure, I'd be looking at GK, LB (back up to Targett) and another forward player.

3 minutes ago, STM said:

Crystal Palace rang wholesale changes and they’ve improved.  

I don’t see why we can’t get 5-6 for the fest team and 2-3 youngsters.  

We still need to add quality down the spine. I wouldn’t be mad if we bought either 2 new cb or 2 new cm making one of Lascelles or Longstaff surplus. 

Wolves and West Ham have been in the mix for a few seasons now. Good teams but nothing special. We can be around 7/8 next season and into European football if we are ambitious. 

I like how diligent our transfer approach has been so far. If the right players are available and want to come we should go and get them even if it’s 7 first teamers.  

2 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

Crystal Palace rang wholesale changes and they’ve improved.  

I don’t see why we can’t get 5-6 for the fest team and 2-3 youngsters.  

We still need to add quality down the spine. I wouldn’t be mad if we bought either 2 new cb or 2 new cm making one of Lascelles or Longstaff surplus. 

Wolves and West Ham have been in the mix for a few seasons now. Good teams but nothing special. We can be around 7/8 next season and into European football if we are ambitious. 

I like how diligent our transfer approach has been so far. If the right players are available and want to come we should go and get them even if it’s 7 first teamers.  

I don't disagree but the difference between what Palace have done and what we intend to do is massive. Palace might get the odd bargain or the odd loan and we really aren't going to be going down that route.

While we have huge financial muscle, we won't be making 7 first team signings which could potentially cost us between 15m-50m a piece. That would see us spending 150m in the summer, which we won't want to do IMO. 5 seems more reasonable and that would take us to similar spending as in January (bare in mind the Chris Wood tax).

We also need to have one eye on next January. AS has mentioned several times about financial fair play and even though we have huge scope, we will be looking to spread the cost year on year, rather than running the risk of having to take a year off spending.

We will also have a better idea once sponsorships are signed and sealed. Spending can increase, once we have big sponsors in place and who knows, perhaps even European Football.

6 first team players + Targett doesn't seem at all unreasonable.

New signings should be first teamers but replacing fringe players, thus relegating current starters to fringe/rotation roles. 

Squad still needs significant improvement in quality.

We'll need to shift Hayden, Clark, Hendrick, Lewis (and M.Longstaff) before we even make a dent in the existing 25. From that 25 you'd think Gayle and Fernandez are likely to go as they get no minutes. Ritchie has been a spare part for a while now and Dummett is held together with sticky tape. That there's 9 senior players who probably need moving out before you start to discuss the merits of those who've actually played minutes under Howe but aren't in the first pick team (S. Longstaff, Lascelles, Manquillo, Murphy, Krafth etc) or those who we think need upgrading on due to past form / injury (Shelvey, Wilson, Fraser, Almiron) and that's before you've even tackled the goalkeeping department - Dubravka hit and miss, Darlow cack, Woodman hard to say, Gillespie the emergency cover.

The rebuild job looks fucking huge, basically. :lol: As others have said, it's tough to get shot of 10-15 and bring the same amount in unless you're playing FM, it's too much transition at once especially given the atmosphere Howe seems to want to cultivate.

18 hours ago, SUPERTOON said:

How come we can’t embed tweets anymore ?

The forum host company use a third party provider to handle embeds so it's a problem that we (Hugz) can't fix at this end. We've been told it's getting looked at, though. 

On 08/03/2022 at 17:22, STM said:

I don't disagree but the difference between what Palace have done and what we intend to do is massive. Palace might get the odd bargain or the odd loan and we really aren't going to be going down that route.

While we have huge financial muscle, we won't be making 7 first team signings which could potentially cost us between 15m-50m a piece. That would see us spending 150m in the summer, which we won't want to do IMO. 5 seems more reasonable and that would take us to similar spending as in January (bare in mind the Chris Wood tax).

We also need to have one eye on next January. AS has mentioned several times about financial fair play and even though we have huge scope, we will be looking to spread the cost year on year, rather than running the risk of having to take a year off spending.

We will also have a better idea once sponsorships are signed and sealed. Spending can increase, once we have big sponsors in place and who knows, perhaps even European Football.

The target medium-term is the same. If we can get the right calibre of player to take us to the next level - we should go for them. Even if it's 5-6-7. The sooner we get into Europe and start competing - the better commercial deals we can get and justify.

On 08/03/2022 at 17:28, ponsaelius said:

6 first team players + Targett doesn't seem at all unreasonable.

New signings should be first teamers but replacing fringe players, thus relegating current starters to fringe/rotation roles. 

Squad still needs significant improvement in quality.

Agreed. Again right profile is everything. There's only 4 starting positions I wouldn't look to improve.