More transfer rumours

midds

The line between forwards and wide players is obviously blurred now anyway with teams playing front threes. Many of the highest scoring players basically play out wide.

He seems to have a lot in his game and could still be moulded to a particular position.

Edited by ponsaelius

Not sure I believe all the press with Liverpool and wingers/wide forwards. Didn't they essentially buy Manes replacement with Dias? Expect they are looking at another 9. Jonathan David rumours make more sense imo.

3 hours ago, Hanshithispantz said:

If he's been bought as a number 9 he'll obviously not start because we have Wilson. If we're playing with wide forwards (not wingers like Howe was using last year) which wingback suggests then Ekitike will start if fit like. Unless he's a total flop.

He's not going to start. ASM will be on one side and the other wide man we are buying will be on the other side.

Just now, KaKa said:

He's not going to start. ASM will be on one side and the other wide man we are buying will be on the other side.

Unless ASM is spurred on by the talent around him and massively improves (which I hope happens) it'll probably take Ekitike about 3 games to take his place like.

According to that scout report that was knocking about, the whole idea with this kid is that it's assume he will eventually be an out and out CF but the smart thing to do is let him ply his trade on the wing where he is naturally competent.

He's 20 years old and the chances are that he will blow hot and cold. Eddie will want to use him as an exciting substitute for most of the first season but with injuries and hopefully two Cup runs, he should get a go up front too.

There's also the option that we might play 352 at times and he gets some time up front with Wilson, which would be a quality education for him.

7 minutes ago, Hanshithispantz said:

Like I cannot see how we've come to the conclusion that Ekitike isn't ready while also just deciding that ASM will 100% turn into the creative goal scoring forward we want him to be.

Can see why like, but it's mainly because of the element of the unknown. He's young and raw, learning his game, would be in a new league with increased pressure. If he can jump through those hoops and ASM also doesn't improve then I know what you mean.

Like ASM creates a lot, so Wilson back and a better overall team with a full Howe pre-season might be the making of him, but if he doesn't he's a massive liability defensively.

Spot the 19 year old:

Screenshot-Capture-2022-06-05-18-31-48.p

Screenshot-Capture-2022-06-05-18-32-24.p

Ekitike obviously has a lot of potential but everything I've seen and read about him suggests he's already pretty insane like. 

Think you’re overrating the lad a bit like. He’s decent for a 20 year old but he’s had 1 season at the top -level and by all accounts is one for the future.

If you think he’s going to be a first-team regular and a massive difference maker for us next season then I reckon you’ll be disappointed. A lot of Reims fans on their forum don’t expect him to be a PL starter.

19 minutes ago, McCormick said:

I’m sure he’ll get a lot of minutes this term but IMO- and depending on how he develops- he’s at least a good season away from being someone we can rely on as a first-teamer.

Need another striker in if that's the case as you just can't rely on Wilson with his injury record and Wood is just plain shit

20 minutes ago, et tu brute said:

Need another striker in if that's the case as you just can't rely on Wilson with his injury record and Wood is just plain shit

I don't think that is the case per se. We're not expecting to qualify for Europe, are we? Just make decent progress. Strengthening a few positions should achieve that, alongside replacing Gayle with one of Europe's top rated talents who we can afford to bed in because we still have Wilson to be the main forward and Wood (shit as he is) in case of emergency. If Wilson were to tear his ligaments in a pre-season friendly we might have to reconsider, but bringing in yet another forward will only serve to stifle the opportunities we can offer our >30m rated prospect who needs playing time to adapt to the league.

4 minutes ago, Unbelievable said:

I don't think that is the case per se. We're not expecting to qualify for Europe, are we? Just make decent progress. Strengthening a few positions should achieve that, alongside replacing Gayle with one of Europe's top rated talents who we can afford to bed in because we still have Wilson to be the main forward and Wood (shit as he is) in case of emergency. If Wilson were to tear his ligaments in a pre-season friendly we might have to reconsider, but bringing in yet another forward will only serve to stifle the opportunities we can offer our >30m rated prospect who needs playing time to adapt to the league.

I'm not sure the owners (or me) agree with that mind. Wilson has only played half the games available in his time here. You just can't rely on that he won't get a major injury, and then run the risk of having to play the young lad as the main striker instead of easing him in. I saw the same thing happen to Tomasson. Wood is just not up to scratch either. 

25 minutes ago, et tu brute said:

I'm not sure the owners (or me) agree with that mind. Wilson has only played half the games available in his time here. You just can't rely on that he won't get a major injury, and then run the risk of having to play the young lad as the main striker instead of easing him in. I saw the same thing happen to Tomasson. Wood is just not up to scratch either. 

Well, assuming we're on a budget choices will have to be made. I doubt we'll spend the majority of it on two players for one position when we obviously need reinforcements in quite a few other positions.

3 minutes ago, Unbelievable said:

Well, assuming we're on a budget choices will have to be made. I doubt we'll spend the majority of it on two players for one position when we obviously need reinforcements in quite a few other positions.

We don't know what the budget is or what their intentions are. All I'm saying it's a massive risk having a person as the main striker who has missed half the games due to injury. Time will tell what happens. 

Just now, AyeDubbleYoo said:

I think we can assume that Wilson’s injury problems will reduce compared to what he’s suffered in the past. Still a risk though, obvs. 

Without doubt, he’ll no longer be worked like a donkey as he was with Bruce.

1 hour ago, McCormick said:

Think you’re overrating the lad a bit like. He’s decent for a 20 year old but he’s had 1 season at the top -level and by all accounts is one for the future.

If you think he’s going to be a first-team regular and a massive difference maker for us next season then I reckon you’ll be disappointed. A lot of Reims fans on their forum don’t expect him to be a PL starter.

He's a year along in his development though from having a really strong season, unless we think it's just a purple patch I don't think i'm overrating him by that much. 10 goals and 3 assists in 24 games (15 starts) is pretty great for any age in Ligue 1.

He is one for the future, I think the expectancy is that he turns into 20 goal a season forward, he'll obviou6bevsome way off that atm but I still think he'll force his way into the side pretty quick unless we sign another 2 forwards.