More transfer rumours

midds

1 minute ago, Ikon said:

Personally I think we have made bids and offers to/for some players that have said thanks but no thanks. As in not interested. 

Yeah I think this is just rehashed old news. We enquired weeks ago and it wasn't a goer and we've since moved on.

1 minute ago, Ikon said:

Personally I think we have made bids and offers to/for some players that have said thanks but no thanks. As in not interested. 

You'd imagine/hope they might have reached out to a couple of wow factor signings to test the water.

Maybe a diaby is one of them and it's just being pushed to drum up interest elsewhere now.

Just now, Mikky said:

Given he has 2 years left on his contract I would say £40m is a damn good offer 

I agree that it’s a good offer but it would have to be 50m plus for Leeds to even consider it.

6 minutes ago, HTT II said:

Again why do people keep posting the same regurgitated shit from these know nowt journos/Twitter accounts? Baffles me!

It’s a transfer rumour in the transfer rumour thread 

Guest HTT II
Just now, SUPERTOON said:

It’s a transfer rumour in the transfer rumour thread 

I know, but it’s so tenuous. I can make up the same shit on Twitter. It’s easy. Means fuck all.

https://theathletic.com/3380360/2022/06/24/jonathan-david-transfers/

I've clipped our bit featuring Caulkin. 

Newcastle United (11th place last season)

What do you get when you mix a young, highly-touted, goal-scoring forward with a club suddenly able to spend big? The perfect mix for a transfer rumour cocktail.

With the addition of Bruno Guimaraes from Lyon, it seems like the club are intent on using the new cash this summer.

In theory, a move to Newcastle could work for David: he’d get to challenge himself in the Premier League and do so on a team that might not have the competition for starting spots that some of the other teams on this list do.

George Caulkin’s take: This feels more like a case of club plus new money plus available player equals easy story than anything vastly more substantive. Certainly at the moment. Newcastle have been in the hunt for a new striker for a while and Everton’s Dominic Calvert-Lewin and Ivan Toney featured in discussions, but the strong form of Callum Wilson after a long lay-off through injury towards the end of last season blurred priorities. If Wilson can stay fit he is as good as anybody and Calvert-Lewin and Toney would be expensive. And funds are an issue, in spite of Newcastle’s Saudi-led takeover, with Financial Fair Play expected to cap their spending this summer to somewhere between £60-80 million this summer, potentially a little more if a special player becomes available.

Newcastle appear to be focusing their spending elsewhere, including on 20-year-old Reims forward Hugo Ekitike and 22-year-old Lille defender Sven Botman.

Tactically, David wouldn’t necessarily be the best fit at Newcastle. Manager Eddie Howe often plays with a front three, and the spots at the top of the three are usually occupied by Callum Wilson or Chris Wood, with his other forwards usually playing in wider roles that David isn’t always accustomed to.

So, should Newcastle shift their spending focus towards David?

Caulkin: Newcastle need reinforcements and they need upgrades. David would tick both of those boxes. Whether he is what they need right now at the price he would cost, is less obvious. 

Would rather David than Ekitike, as I'm massively biased. :lol: 

I want Gouiri. Because this means that CW can start and when/if he is injured Gouiri can play centrally too. Get Gouiri and a high quality right sided forward/winger. When Wilson is fit we would then have 3 very good options for our wide positions to alternate between. With Miggy and Fraser as backup to these three wide players. Ideally another CF if the money and right option is available obviously. 

Gouiri goes to to a team in one of the top leagues then I’m pretty sure that already after a season he will be a 50-60m plus player. 

Edited by Ikon

Going this route would buy us some time to get another centre forward later on. Then we could push for other areas before we maybe go for another CF. Would be a good start 

He's too talented and technically good so I just can’t see him fail.

Edited by Ikon

13 minutes ago, The Bonk said:

https://theathletic.com/3380360/2022/06/24/jonathan-david-transfers/

I've clipped our bit featuring Caulkin. 

Would rather David than Ekitike, as I'm massively biased. :lol: 

Going by that, If we do end up with botman & Etikite there won’t be much money left for much else. That would be quite disappointing imo 

Edited by gdm

33 minutes ago, nufc123 said:

We wont go the same run we had after christmas. At the same time we wont have as little as we had before christmas. But the team is not a top 7 team. We are lacking badly up front bar Wilson. And he will be out for some time in a season. We need pace in defence. We need legs in the midfield. We need a wide man capable of more than 1 and 2 goals under their belt. The wide area is shocking. Take away Maximin and its almost not Pl worthy. And we need a backup for Wilson. After that we can be taken seriously in the top 7 race.

Agreed. Even a fair coin can flip heads 7 times in a row. Our expected points last seasons is actually 41.53, but we ended up with 49 points. That says we were a bit lucky, and there is no guarantee this would repeat next season. 

7 minutes ago, gdm said:

Going by that, If we do end up with botman & Etikite there won’t be much money left for much else 

I think Ekitike is going to be a loan-to-buy job, with much of the fee therefore delayed until next summer. Reims are a relatively small club (not historically - but right now financially) so are probably more open to structured deals like this. 

It might be why we're so committed to his signing over other options. 

26 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

Sounds like they have fallen in to the same trap of believing Wilson can stay fit all season 

I refuse to believe that a couple of excellent games from Wilson 'blurs thinking' over longer term transfer strategies like. The transfer team that's being set up will be well aware of what needs to be done.