More transfer rumours

midds

1 minute ago, TRon said:

Some of the names just seem like pie in the sky. Raphina, Osimhen, Diaby....you would have thought we'd have more chance going for someone a bit less proven along the Ekiteke lines. Maybe we have got someone else in mind but journos aren't aware of it.

By pie in the sky you mean ambitious? [emoji38]

There's clear interest there but I think we won't act unless we can get players below 40m.

55 minutes ago, Flip said:

Raphinha is twice the player Diaby is and that’s based on having seen 0 of Diaby since he left PSG. Signing Raphinha is all I want.

Would never have guessed mate

I still think there's far too much transfer window to go before we start making predictions. We know they're after a striker and winger bare minimum. I wouldn't be massively suprised to see a young CM come in either.

Just now, STM said:

By pie in the sky you mean ambitious? [emoji38]

There's clear interest there but I think we won't act unless we can get players below 40m.

It's great to be ambitious, but just because we would like to sign Haaland doesn't mean it would have been realistic. I'm not getting excited at the names being bandied about because it seems there is no realistic chance of them coming here. We are going to have to be a bit more creative to get quality through the door, but buying attacking players of that calibre is not going to be easy.

6th and above= dreamland

7th = really good season

8th= par

9th= think we could have done better

Top 10 isn't a target or a successful season. 7th should be our short term aim.

A trip to Wembley would certainly have a big say on how successful our season has gone.

4 minutes ago, gbandit said:

Not sure I could see DCL and Wilson in the same side. If we'd signed Ekitike, I could have seen him lining up alongside Wilson potentially

And you cant have both those players in the same squad when using 4-3-3 as one of them will on the bench most of the time, just wont happen

1 minute ago, STM said:

6th and above= dreamland

7th = really good season

8th= par

9th= think we could have done better

Top 10 isn't a target or a successful season. 7th should be our short term aim.

A trip to Wembley would certainly have a big say on how successful our season has gone.

This.

Anything lower then 8th would feel like a bit of a let down.

Just now, TRon said:

It's great to be ambitious, but just because we would like to sign Haaland doesn't mean it would have been realistic. I'm not getting excited at the names being bandied about because it seems there is no realistic chance of them coming here. We are going to have to be a bit more creative to get quality through the door, but buying attacking players of that calibre is not going to be easy.

I'd argue that Bruno and Botman are at least of those calibre (diaby etc) but I agree that things get harder with attacking players. 

5 minutes ago, gdm said:

No chance :lol:

perhaps I’m being bullish, but those that are saying things like 9-13 are for some reason weirdly concluding that Howe and the squad are going to somehow become much worse.

Just now, James said:

perhaps I’m being bullish, but those that are saying things like 9-13 are for some reason weirdly concluding that Howe and the squad are going to somehow become much worse.

Some times teams have a good season but then get found out to an extent. I'm not saying that will happen but it potentially could. 

I know that people have moaned or been frustrated with the drawn out saga’s of Botman and Ekitike, but the fact that Botman was our number 1 target and we have got him has really relaxed me in terms of the remainder of the window. 

I have full faith in the club that they are after the right players and know how to handle their negotiations. 

can happily sit back now and relax, take all of the media links with a pinch of salt and just see where we are come the start of the season. 

1 minute ago, James said:

I think it's unlikely we'll maintain this year's form over the course of a season.

Just now, ponsaelius said:

We've built a solid base now but still really need better attacking options. 

Those are going to be the game changers as to what sort of season we have. Fraser, Murphy and Almiron are not going to win big games.

1 minute ago, relámpago blanco said:

Some times teams have a good season but then get found out to an extent. I'm not saying that will happen but it potentially could. 

Im not worried about that, I think Howe will have evolved us further by the time the season starts.

think we’ll be a bit like Leicester catch everyone by surprise - although this time don’t have the fortune of Spurs being the second best team that year.

5 minutes ago, James said:

Again tho I’ve said it before it’s not just a case of Newcastle being worse. Pretty much every other club will be buying and selling players too. The other clubs business is just about as much of a factor as our own business. For example arsenal replacing lacazette with Jesus already makes them much better & Villa have made 3 potentially very good signings 

Edited by gdm

Wilson gets injured and we're absolutely fucked in terms of goals

We really need 2 strikers to be honest, once Gayle gets shifted, as we're toothless up top (no pun intended Callum)

I hope we get a 30-40m striker, a young striker/forward for cheaper/loan and a right winger. That's the bare minimum in my mind

I'd love DM too but then when do you stop if you haven't shifted the deadwood first

7 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

I think it's unlikely we'll maintain this year's form over the course of a season.

Agreed, I'd say thats highly unlikely. I just hope there isnt going to be to much of a bad reaction if this does happen, some people are getting a little carried away after the run of form since January and making noise about a 6th place finish might add unnecessary pressure onto the management and squad. We need to remember where we were just 7 or so months ago, this is still the building block level of our growth as a club. I just want to see progress on the field and around the club for at least a season or two, a top 10 finish would have me very happy.

Edited by Nine

55 minutes ago, McCormick said:

Looks like the Ekitike deal falling through has hurt us slightly, looked liked we’d be getting an FFP- friendly deal with regards to payments. Not sure we’d be able to swing that with other targets.

There’s no such thing. FFP does not care about whether you pay a transfer free up front or over 100 years - it makes absolutely no difference to your profit and loss. The only thing that matters is the contractual value of the transfer fee.

12 minutes ago, Nine said:

And you cant have both those players in the same squad when using 4-3-3 as one of them will on the bench most of the time, just wont happen

Why do people think Wilson is going to play?