More transfer rumours

midds

1 hour ago, McCormick said:

We’ll do well to finish above 9th imo; competing in a mini-league under “the big 6”, with teams like Villa, West Ham, Wolves and Leicester. Finishing 8th means going above 2 of those and would be a very decent season.

I’d be happy with 8th or above. But worth keeping our pessimism in check and bearing in mind that we got 80% of our points (39 of 49) last year in the last 19 games. It is very unlikely we would just continue where we left off and knock out a 78 point season (good enough for third last year), but even if the same squad/management’s form fell away by 25%, that would mean a 59 point season (enough for 6th last year). With new additions I don’t think it is crazy to be aiming for that, even if we would be happy with 8th. 

50 minutes ago, Keegans Export said:

"Keep budget expectations realistic" could be for us as fans, or for selling clubs...

There goes Luke Edwards, I must remember to thank him

40 minutes ago, McCormick said:

I’m not sure at all. Villa and West Ham have similar pulling power and seemingly similar profile of transfer targets; similarly strict wage structures have been established with all of us as well. The pull of being the richest club in the world is meaningless if we refuse (or let’s say are limited) to throw the cash about.

I'm assuming the club is pleading poverty to keep the Newcastle Tax to a minimum, my suspicion is that we should be able to offer better deals than the likes of West Ham or Leicester. Otherwise what's the point of being richer than everyone else?

It might take an extra year to overtake those clubs but we should be able to use that money as some leverage.

1 hour ago, Keegans Export said:

"Keep budget expectations realistic" could be for us as fans, or for selling clubs...

Later went on to explain about Newcastle tax and how his tweets have helped in that sense.

Aye, cos selling clubs will take Luke Edwards tweets about a £60m budget as gospel and think bless them we ought to sell to Newcastle for a bit less £ really.

Guest reefatoon

He’s one of the last things left involved  in and around the club that needs to fuck off. Detest seeing his shite tweets being dragged up. The bloke is a monumental cunt.

7 minutes ago, hakka said:

Why don't we all block Luke Edwards on Twitter and stop posting his stuff on the forum? Surely be better for us all.

Because deep down people love him really, just like they do that Adam Pearson kid :lol: 

4 hours ago, Yorkie said:

Raphinha vs Diaby (last season)

/ Diaby was deadly last season; 13 goals and 12 assists beats Raphinha's 11 and 3 comfortably

/ Diaby scored those 13 from far fewer shots than Raphinha (53/85). This could be to do with the latter's efforts mostly coming from outside the box, unlike the former. 

/ Diaby is a far more accurate passer, completing 74.6% compared to Raphinha's  63.8%. 

/ Where Diaby's chance creation typically comes from in-game passes, Raphinha likes to create from dribbles. He also takes far more set pieces. 

/ Raphinha is easily more comfortable with defensive actions; tackles are 54-19 and blocks are 59-12. He also has a lot more touches in that opposition penalty area (48-6).

/ Raphinha is competent in the air (40.3% of duels won), but it's not really Diaby's game (26.3%).

Summary: Diaby is an out-and-out attacker with the returns to match, whereas Raphinha is a more traditional winger but who likes a dig from range. 

Raphinha had 6.94 expected assists so his teammates converted chances he created really poorly which isn't a surprise as Bamford was out almost all season. Diaby had 0.59 non-penalty xG+xA per 90 minutes, Raphinha 0.43 (0.60 last year when Leeds were doing better). Leverkusen scored a whopping 80 goals though compared to Leeds' 42. I know almost nothing about Diaby but feel like Raphinha would carry less risk and had a bit of a down year as Leeds were struggling.

Edit. TCD made the same comments on the next page. 

Edited by Pata

Guest reefatoon

If there were such budget limitations, I’m sure we wouldn’t have went and splurged most of it on 3 defensive signings. We strengthened there in January and offensively is where we need to strengthen now. There is bound to be money available for attacking options. Not believing for a second that we don’t have much more to spend. 

It would be strange if we are struggling with our budget that we spent the money on pope instead of making sure we got a RW in first. RW has always been the priority position for me and if we go into a new season with Almiron/Fraser/Murphy starting then we will have had a poor window.

I don't believe there is a budget limitation, most of the football finance experts seems to think we could drop £150 million to £200 million and it wouldn't touch the sides. It would make absolutely no sense to brief journos and agents that though. It's just funny how adamant Edwards is that its true.

5 minutes ago, gbandit said:

Don’t want to give the Mail any clicks, apart from Isak, there weren’t any other new names or names that had gone cold for weeks? I would absolutely love Isak 

Usual suspects:

Broja - waiting on Chelsea to decide

Calvert-Lewin - expensive and club transfer board skeptical 

Harrison - Leeds appetite to sell

Isak - could also threaten FFP

There’s no way we’re struggling for cash. We’ll spend big but we might have to be creative in the financial breakdown of the deal. Be amazed if we don’t spend fairly big on a striker and RW

12 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

It would be strange if we are struggling with our budget that we spent the money on pope instead of making sure we got a RW in first. RW has always been the priority position for me and if we go into a new season with Almiron/Fraser/Murphy starting then we will have had a poor window.

I don't listen to any of the reporters as they're usually a lot more wrong than right. I just can't see no investment in at least two areas (I think 3 CF, RW, CM) with a centre forward who has missed 50% of games and a team, that even under Howe struggled to get over 40% possession and not prolific in goals scored. 

Edited by et tu brute

2 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

I don't believe there is a budget limitation, most of the football finance experts seems to think we could drop £150 million to £200 million and it wouldn't touch the sides. It would make absolutely no sense to brief journos and agents that though. It's just funny how adamant Edwards is that its true.

Aye - I'm sure there was detailed analysis put around a while back how as Ashley has been such a tight arse for years we actually have some FFP head room well before we need to generate higher incomes from commercial etc. to go even further again.

We desperately need a striker, a right winger and ideally a quality CM (unless we go with Elliot Anderson this season as squad). I'm sure we could drop £150m on plugging these positions with quality, but I think the club are looking to try and get best deals for young rough diamonds to Bruno types over the established top quality at the premium cost end.

Botman and Pope in has calmed me, plenty of time get more in.

12 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

He's just tryng to maintain his reputation as a massive twat.