More transfer rumours

midds

6 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

Without seeing much of Paqueta, I’m not convinced I’d be spending huge money on him, seems better more proven options are out there.

Better than a 24 year old Brazilian international who has a former teammate here, and has a goal or assist nearly every other game this season? I think that’s right in the sweet spot of where we should be aiming. :lol:

7 minutes ago, Optimistic Nut said:

Better than a 24 year old Brazilian international who has a former teammate here, and has a goal or assist nearly every other game this season? I think that’s right in the sweet spot of where we should be aiming. :lol:

I agree the age bracket is where we should be aiming definitely, just a feeling he won’t suit this league, hopefully if he was to sign he would prove me wrong.

16 minutes ago, David Edgar said:

Striker

Joelinton                     Paqueta

LCM      Bruno    RCM

Please.

i'd keep joelinton in the middle, personally.

i think next season will see shelvey, joelinton and bruno as the midfield 3 with asm left, new signing on the right and a new cf.

34 minutes ago, David Edgar said:

Striker

Joelinton                     Paqueta

LCM      Bruno    RCM

Please.

Why would we spend loads of money to play Paqueta out of position? 

33 minutes ago, ponsaelius said:

Paqueta looked like such a non-event of a footballer when he was at Milan, it still leaves me unsure. No doubt he must have massively improved since then.

He has, but he also has a great work rate, meaning even if not everything is falling for him he'll fight his socks off for the minutes he's on the pitch. 

56 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

Without seeing much of Paqueta, I’m not convinced I’d be spending huge money on him, seems better more proven options are out there.

He looked great against West Ham in the first leg, he was playing as a 10 but was all over the pitch.

8 minutes ago, Nine said:

Paquetas natural position is a #10 which has no place unless we plan to change formation, he'd be expensive as well.

Honestly, his natural position is basically whatever Joelinton or Willock has been playing for us. Him centrally with Bruno and another defensive midfielder is basically how the national team will start at the World Cup if Bruno and him keeps this up. He has this knack for getting into the box at the right time. That being said just like with Bruno, there are questionmarks to his game as well.

20 minutes ago, Flip said:

Why would we spend loads of money to play Paqueta out of position? 

Cos he can play from the right and that would be where he fits our system the best?  At least in the short run.

Probably could do a good job in a pair in front of a DM in a dominant team.  Not sure if he can do that for us.

Just now, Flip said:

Honestly, his natural position is basically whatever Joelinton or Willock has been playing for us. Him centrally with Bruno and another defensive midfielder is basically how the national team will start at the World Cup if Bruno and him keeps this up. He has this knack for getting into the box at the right time. That being said just like with Bruno, there are questionmarks to his game as well.

So you think he might work as one of the front 2 of a midfield 3? Him and Bruno as part of a 3 might only be viable in the PL with an elite DM behind them, would be pleasing on the eye though.

4-2-3-1 as West Ham play with Paqueta the central AM would be the best formation for him in my opinion. All down to whether Eddie is fixed on the 3 in midfield as we have currently. Bruno in the 2 with someone like Kamara or Haidara alongside would be a solid midfield base.

Edited by Whitley mag

9 minutes ago, r0cafella said:

It will really depend on what shape Howe wants to play next season, I have a feeling he would like to go back to his 4-4-1-1 but should ASA stay that becomes really diecey :lol 

Fwiw, I do think that DM with a pair in front is the strongest formation you can play currently.  It is no surprise that Liverpool and Man City use it.  I think it has loads more flexibility than a midfield pair with an AM.  But yeah, Paqueta could play AM very well. 

1 minute ago, David Edgar said:

Fwiw, I do think that DM with a pair in front is the strongest formation you can play currently.  It is no surprise that Liverpool and Man City use it.  I think it has loads more flexibility than a midfield pair with an AM.  But yeah, Paqueta could play AM very well. 

It’s a system I like as well, if you have a mobile DM it really allows your fullbacks to push on as well. The downside is the striker can be isolated especially if you aren’t a city or a Liverpool. It’s also vulnerable to a counter press as well. 

8 minutes ago, r0cafella said:

It’s a system I like as well, if you have a mobile DM it really allows your fullbacks to push on as well. The downside is the striker can be isolated especially if you aren’t a city or a Liverpool. It’s also vulnerable to a counter press as well. 

To play this system you need a very mobile striker, something we don't have currently. Wood for all he's been good for us, just isn't that type to close down and press. Would love to see us have a look at Terrier for Rennes, who would fill that role very well.

For me I would line to see a proper defensive midfield pivot playing in fron to the back four instead of jonjo.

Phillips would be perfect...

Then a pacey striker, with two supporting acts either side.

My team would look like:

‐‐-----------dubs--------------

tripps----schar-----dan----targett

-------------phillips---------------

--------bruno---------goalinton---

diaby---------osihmen------ASM

If we are looking to sign a DM that plays deep (not sure we are) then I wouldn’t spunk all that on Phillips. Especially when we might  have Bruno there pulling the strings very often.  I’d be looking for someone like Grillitsch on a free instead and use that 50m or whatever for other players. 

2 minutes ago, Ikon said:

If we are looking to sign a DM that plays deep (not sure we are) then I wouldn’t spunk all that on Phillips. Especially when we might  have Bruno there pulling the strings very often.  I’d be looking for someone like Grillitsch on a free instead and use that 50m or whatever for other players. 

Grillitsch would be a very good signing, hope we are able to do.