More transfer rumours

midds

11 hours ago, The Prophet said:

We allegedly enquired about him in January, so it wouldn't be a massive shock if we went back in for him.

It'd be interesting to see how we fit him in though. You'd imagine Bruno would take Shelvey's position and Paqueta would come in for Willock.

We 100% need a proper number 10. I think that’s more imperative over spending millions on someone like Phillips if we had to choose between the two (given we’re going to have to spend a serious amount on a striker too) We already have Bruno and Joelinton and Shelvey who can sit. We need goals. 

1 hour ago, ExiledGeordie said:

We 100% need a proper number 10. I think that’s more imperative over spending millions on someone like Phillips if we had to choose between the two (given we’re going to have to spend a serious amount on a striker too) We already have Bruno and Joelinton and Shelvey who can sit. We need goals. 

Bruno can sit but probably shouldn't given what else he has to offer. Joelinton can't sit, he's a destroyer not a DM, those are different. Shelvey can sit and is sitting but frankly doesn't have the energy or combativeness, so we need an upgrade.

I agree on the need for attacking options though.

15 hours ago, Jaqen said:

Think Osimhen would be my first choice striker target this summer. 

Just watched a highlight video of him, and it really goes to show how much better we'd be as a team with a striker like that where the ball will stick when it's played up to him. Someone like him would be a massive upgrade not only in terms of goals, but also in the way we can play as a team when we don't lose possession 8/10 times the ball is played up to our striker.

Osimhen is absolute top tier. Would be amazing, but not sure it will be possible.

If we're talking Super Eagles though, what would people think about Iheanacho? Think we could get him off Leicester as he just doesn't seem to be a guaranteed starter over there. I've also seen Leicester are looking at forwards this summer and have been linked with Joel Piroe from Swansea.

Think Kelechi would be a fantastic signing.

Guest HTT II
1 minute ago, KaKa said:

Osimhen is absolute top tier. Would be amazing, but not sure it will be possible.

If we're talking Super Eagles though, what would people think about Iheanacho? Think we could get him off Leicester as he just doesn't seem to be a guaranteed starter over there. I've also seen Leicester are looking at forwards this summer and have been linked with Joel Piroe from Swansea.

Aye I like him a lot, don’t understand why he doesn’t play more there. And I’d love another Nigeria here after Oba!

2 minutes ago, KaKa said:

Never even considered Iheanacho for some reason.

I think he would be a class signing, his passing is top tier for a striker and is also clinical in the box.

13 minutes ago, HTT II said:

Aye I like him a lot, don’t understand why he doesn’t play more there. And I’d love another Nigeria here after Oba!

Yeah, I can't understand why he doesn't play all the time for them, especially when Vardy is out. Especially because he always produces goals and assists when he gets a run in the team, and he's also really versatile, as he can play as an out and out striker or a more withdrawn one. It's so strange.

And from a personal point of view, it would be awesome to have another Nigerian player in the team again for sure, and he'd be the best one to play for Newcastle by far.

Guest HTT II
4 minutes ago, KaKa said:

Yeah, I can't understand why he doesn't play all the time for them, especially when Vardy is out. Especially because he always produces goals and assists when he gets a run in the team, and he's also really versatile, as he can play as an out and out striker or a more withdrawn one. It's so strange.

And from a personal point of view, it would be awesome to have another Nigerian player in the team again for sure, and he'd be the best one to play for Newcastle by far.

I’ve got loads of Nigerian mates who are mostly Arsenal or Chelsea fans, but they like the Toon and one of their kids is at our academy so fingers crossed one day for the boy!

25 minutes ago, KaKa said:

We supposedly bid for him in January and he was interested. Obviously hard to know what was true or false in January 

8 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

We supposedly bid for him in January and he was interested. Obviously hard to know what was true or false in January 

Yeah, I remember seeing those reports about Osimhen.

I don't think he would be against joining us, but I just think once the summer roles around, if he's made available the competition for him would be really fierce.

Edited by KaKa

1 hour ago, ManDoon said:

I’m a big fan of Iheanacho, also a big fan of Piroe tbf. Wouldn’t mind stepping into that deal 

Never understood why more clubs weren't in for him, at the time he went to Leicester I was desperately hoping we were in with a shout. I didn't actually know that much about him other than he used to always find a goal as a sub for Man City. I assumed he was just a finisher, maybe the rest of his game wasn't up to scratch.

51 minutes ago, TRon said:

Never understood why more clubs weren't in for him, at the time he went to Leicester I was desperately hoping we were in with a shout. I didn't actually know that much about him other than he used to always find a goal as a sub for Man City. I assumed he was just a finisher, maybe the rest of his game wasn't up to scratch.

He's actually an excellent all around striker. Mostly came up as more of a number 10 when he was younger, which is why he is so technically good, especially in comparison to the typical strikers we produce. Both he and Kanu are the most technically gifted we've had upfront for the Super Eagles. 

37 minutes ago, KaKa said:

He's actually an excellent all around striker. Mostly came up as more of a number 10 when he was younger, which is why he is so technically good, especially in comparison to the typical strikers we produce. Both he and Kanu are the most technically gifted we've had upfront for the Super Eagles. 

Just makes it more surprising he's not really made more of a name for himself given all that. I get that he might not be quite top tier PL level, but you would think mid-table clubs would be in there pitching. Seems like he's wasted two years at Leicester.

He’ll want Champions League you’d imagine. Seria A defender of the year 2 years running now** so will have no shortage of suitors. 

It’s so refreshing to see us at least try for this caliber of player though. “A club that tries” etc.

**Edit. Just checked wiki, not officially it seems. Must have been some writers award or something that I read :lol: 

Edited by McCormick

20 hours ago, Nine said:

I mean that’s going to be at least an £80-100m spend on two players that play the same position, nice thought but won’t happen this summer.

Ekitike was going to cost around £20m if rumours are to be believed and a decent PL striker would probably set us back £30m. If we're after a Nunez-level striker you're probably looking at a total outlay of £100m but I doubt we will be. £50m doesn't seem unrealistic considering we paid £30m for Bruno

Arsenal look pretty set with both White and Gabriel at centre back I would have thought.

We seem to be pulling together a bit of a Brazilian contingent, and so I like our chances. 

Edited by KaKa

4 minutes ago, Ikon said:

Linked with Pau Torres.

Seems we're really getting on things early behind the scenes with our safety looking increasingly assured.

Appear to be making a lot of enquiries, starting with some of the higher level targets to start with, which is great.

I think we'll have a pretty substantial shortlist for each position (priority seems to be striker, CB, CM and GK) which will actually narrow itself down as there will be plenty of players who will rule us out due to no CL football. 

But we convinced Bruno. We convinced Trippier. Botman was by all accounts ready to sign on the dotted line. There are players out there who will take a punt on joining a team on their way up rather than one that's already there, particularly with half a season to impress before the World Cup. 

Looking at the best teams in the PL - they don't play with an out and out striker. Even Kane plays v. deep with Son usually ahead. Liverpool's attackers can all play wide as can Chelsea's (Romelu is perhaps best off the right too).

I wouldn't mind going for a couple players in that mould. One with a leap and some link up play.

12 minutes ago, Holmesy said:

Ekitike was going to cost around £20m if rumours are to be believed and a decent PL striker would probably set us back £30m. If we're after a Nunez-level striker you're probably looking at a total outlay of £100m but I doubt we will be. £50m doesn't seem unrealistic considering we paid £30m for Bruno

More like £40-£50m. Toney would be 40m minimum. 60m for Abraham.

Is Pukki a bad shout? He would be very cheap. Scores goals in a poor side. Just an idea.

1 minute ago, The College Dropout said:

Looking at the best teams in the PL - they don't play with an out and out striker. Even Kane plays v. deep with Son usually ahead. Liverpool's attackers can all play wide as can Chelsea's (Romelu is perhaps best off the right too).

I wouldn't mind going for a couple players in that mould. One with a leap and some link up play.

I was thinking about that the other day - the problem is we don't have enough goals anywhere else in the side to get away with playing a striker who isn't in and around the box as much as possible.