More transfer rumours

midds

35 minutes ago, STM said:

If Bissouma is off to Spurs, I wonder if Hojbjerg would now become available?

He's a player that apparently we have been interested in a lot.

Im sure we were linked to Hojbjerg a few weeks ago

Yes, would like hojberg. He is a very good DM and as you say, would give a bit more freedom to those around him.

he plays easy short passes and doesnt seem to lose the ball a lot. A calm dfensive presence

4 minutes ago, buzz said:

Spurs fans don't seem to rate him very highly

It's because he's a nothing player. He's not disciplined enough to be a DM and he doesn't offer enough going forward to play any higher up the pitch.

8 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

It's because he's a nothing player. He's not disciplined enough to be a DM and he doesn't offer enough going forward to play any higher up the pitch.

There’s differing opinions among Spurs fans. This was posted on Spurscommunity and I think it’s a fair reflection of the general feeling:

Boring answer but I kind of think everyone in this thread is kind of right about him. He's both underrated and overrated by fans at the same time, weirdly.

He's a really important player and offers so much to the team as a whole: character, commitment, positional awareness, tackling, interceptions and, on his day, he can pick a nice pass and nick a goal too. It's not that easy to find a player that has all of these traits and I think they sometimes go underappreciated.

The idea that he's a top-tier technical player though....not buying that. I think @Flobadob's comments on his technique are pretty fair, and if you watch the midfielders at City, Chelsea, Madrid, Liverpool, Bayern, etc and they pretty much all have better natural ball control and technique than Hojbjerg...some of them significantly. His passing, beyond the simple stuff, is also pretty inconsistent. Not bad by any means, but inconsistent.

That doesn't mean he's a bad player or we need to kick him straight out of the team as he offers so many other qualities, but I think it's fine to accept he has certain limitations. And long term, if we truly want to compete with the very top teams over the next few years then I think we need to hold ourselves to the same standards and trying to figure out where we can make marginal gains in the squad, which could mean making Hojbjerg taking on more of a squad role.

Seems fair. Supposedly he’s the most vocal in training on asking/questioning Conte about tactics etc. 

Just now, ManDoon said:

I like Hojberg. Does all the boring stuff well. 

Much more concise way of saying it :lol:. He strikes me as a perfect CM for a Prem League club that is up-and-coming, and a perfect backup CM for a PL club that has already come.

1 hour ago, TRon said:

Keep having to remind myself that we won't be able to compete for the very best players yet and we'll have to bite our lips and watch them go to clubs already in the CL. Darwin Nunez and Bissouma being good examples.

The aim for the next season or two needs to be at the head of the pack just below them, top 6 or thereabouts. First need to close the gap, and tbh that will be pretty exciting in itself.

Absolutely 💯 

6 minutes ago, leffe186 said:

There’s differing opinions among Spurs fans. This was posted on Spurscommunity and I think it’s a fair reflection of the general feeling:

Seems fair. Supposedly he’s the most vocal in training on asking/questioning Conte about tactics etc. 

Fair enough, difficult to argue with those who watch him week in, week out. 

I've seen a couple of his performances where he just doesn't track runners or gets played around really comfortably.

Guest HTT II
7 minutes ago, Magpie said:

RMC linking us with Areola

I’m getting erect nipples just thinking about this!

11 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

Fair enough, difficult to argue with those who watch him week in, week out. 

I've seen a couple of his performances where he just doesn't track runners or gets played around really comfortably.

Yeah and tbf some Spurs fans definitely don’t rate him. I just think that you look at the run-in with Højbjerg and Bentancur in the middle and it’s hard to argue he can’t do a job.