More transfer rumours

midds

1 minute ago, The Prophet said:

Probably the best source going for Joiman transfer news.

And if true, it would explain why there was lots of noise and then no noise.  We're going to get a lot of that for the next couple of years - plenty won't be interested.  I'm just happy that we're even looking at players of Diaby's quality - and not all of them will say 'no'

36 minutes ago, TRon said:

Football isn't just about midfield any more. It's about ball retention all over the pitch which seemingly includes goalkeepers and central defenders. Then you have to add a player's abiilty to break or press the opposition into a mistake. While I'd love to have a world class CM alongside Bruno, I look at other areas of the pitch and think those need fixing first. Up front and wide forwards mainly.

Disagree, you get a quality midfielder to control the game with Bruno, then the whole dynamic of the team changes. We need the wide player (especially right) and striker as priorities also mind. Let's see if the ambition really is there to sign these improvements at CB, CM, RW and CF, I'm quietly confident they will.

Edited by et tu brute

Going for players who are seemingly above your current level usually means overpaying to get them in. Rightly or wrongly, our ownership don’t want to do that.

Edited by McCormick

Nothing wrong with aiming really high early in the window and then working down from there.

So many good players out there, and confident we will still get a huge upgrade at that position.

At least Diaby was clear and upfront on his stance. Wish Ekitike and his reps would be the same.

Edited by KaKa

7 hours ago, HaydnNUFC said:

He'd offer another dimension and will take pressure off of ASM. He's miles ahead of Sarr or any other winger we've been linked with. A quality number 6 is needed to free up Bruno a bit against the bigger sides but medium term imo.

Genuinely don't think Bruno needs freeing up. 

6 hours ago, Nine said:

No I understand that hes not a Ben Arfa type that we'd have to carry defensively but to be fair I didnt realise he was as much as of a work horse as you are saying here.

It's the first thing I noticed in his videos. I was drooling at the thought of him, Bruno and Joelnton working for each other in the middle. Don't think we need a strictly CDM.

2 hours ago, KaKa said:

Nothing wrong with aiming really high early in the window and then working down from there.

So many good players out there, and confident we will still get a huge upgrade at that position.

At least Diaby was clear and upfront on his stance. Wish Ekitike and his reps would be the same.

Agreed - though I have to say I'm entertained by the rumours being put out by Ekitike's agent (who I'm not convinced is very good at his or her job).  Real Madrid are the latest 'interested' in him.  Funny how none of these clubs are actually willing to bid on a player they're all desperate to sign who has a contract offer on the table which he could sign any minute.

It's not even subtle at this point.  Even if the lad signs, we're going to have fun with his knacker agent.  Reminds me of Anelka more than anything - though by the same age Anelka was a full French international and had won the double at Arsenal, so I'm definitely talking about the knacker agent rather than conspicuous talent.

3 hours ago, et tu brute said:

Disagree, you get a quality midfielder to control the game with Bruno, then the whole dynamic of the team changes. We need the wide player (especially right) and striker as priorities also mind. Let's see if the ambition really is there to sign these improvements at CB, CM, RW and CF, I'm quietly confident they will.

Whilst I agree we need better creativity on the wings, our midfield is set up to counter, with little alternative in reserve. We do need somebody who can control the game in the opponents half. Bruno can probably do that, but then you need to replace Bruno.

Our trouble is that we need better in almost every area and that isn't happening in one window. I'm prepared to trust Almiron, Fraser and ASM on the wings, it's a nice blend of hard graft and flair, nicely balanced by our WBs.

It's easy to forget, given our remarkable run this year, that we haven't seen much of our current best eleven.

Almiron has linked up nicely with Bruno, and Krafth [in Trippier's absence]. If he can do the same with Trippier then we improve. Wilson is ten times the player that Wood is, and he improves ASM's contribution.

We're really not too far from being a solid top ten team, for this season. And I think a no10 would go further towards guaranteeing that than a RW. Although both would be nice.

We are just at that stage of having to decide whether we wait for world class players to be their best option or move on.

I don't believe for a second if we are in for Diaby it would be without encouragement. We have been linked back since January. Like Botman its likely a case they are interested in the project but will have options with clubs that immediately offer champions league and top 4 domestic guarantees. 

We got Bruno at the right time. He also seems to have a bit of a special personality too. It's a balancing act with how long we wait on players that will have "better" offers. 

Wouldn't surprise me if there ends up being a player or two we step away from and come back near deadline day if a move hasn't happened.

7 hours ago, The Prophet said:

I still don't think there's a budget as such. I think if the club spot good value for money, we'll get involved regardless of what's already been spent.

There’s a budget, we have ffp and haven’t sorted sponsors out yet and still working on outgoings.

There’s a budget - they’re way too smart to run the club any other way.

8 hours ago, TRC said:

I feel like Sarr is the easiest and most obvious solution to RW, unless we take Cornet

Absolutely - our right wingers are Almiron and Murphy. Getting Sarr in should be easy to complete, he has PL experience, is moderately priced, apparently a good egg and better than both our options. I’d like to see this one done :thup:

That article saying after Etikite we want a wide right forward before possibly going back for another striker. Article also says Diaby is our number one target for the right wing/ right forward position however asking price putting us off currently